Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I am 25 and weight about 280 new expecting to get surgery in October I'm really nervous and someone's I think I should and should not do it. I have read that everyone here for the most part is doing well but I'm really scared have weird feelings not sure yet.

I'm in the same boat. Scheduled for 9/11. I believe this is the best choice for me, but I'm having a hard time getting past my anxiety.

Just do it. Lol anxiety is normal part of the process. Embrace your emotions, but know in your head and heart that you are making the right decision.

Ely, I definately understand where you are coming from.

You really need to do a self analysis. Are you ready for a real life change? This is not easy, I'm sure you already know that. But then again being 25yo & 280lb is no walk in he park either.

Have you done everything you can reasonably do to lose the weight w/o surgery?

Are you ready to fight the battle that your mind will likely put you through?

I can say, the absolute last thing I want to do is talk you out of this. I only have 2regrets about this surgery. 1 letting myself go to the point that I needed it. 2 not doing it sooner.

You are 25yo and you have the opportunity before you to dramatically improve the rest of your life. I hope you take it, but I also hope you prepare yourself for the battle that lies ahead.

Don't look back at 35 or 40 with another 100lbs added on and regret not taking his opportunity to get your life back.

It is tough, I was sleeved 8/7/12 and it is a new lifestyle that's for sure. It's a better one though, It takes some adjusting but I have dropped 20pnds and it helps me know that all this hard work will pay off. I think there is some food grieving going on but that's normal. I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!! Good luck It will be o.k.

I have tried many thing for my weight I am not a coach potato I am very active as a matter a fact I play on a volleyball team and I love sports always been very active just heavy. Don't get me wrong I also obviously love sweets and since I was little I have been evaluated by many dr due to my mom concern and they always said its genetic.

It's a very personal decision. No matter what there will always be people who do not agree with whatever decision you make. Some will be gung ho about the surgery and very supportive, others may not want to talk/be around you as much. It happens. What's important is that whatever you choice you make you're making for yourself. It is not their body, not their life, not their choice, and for a lot of them - not their business. Do not let anyone's opinion hold you back from what you deem necessary for your body. You can make other friends/acquaintances, you're stuck with yourself no matter what.

I know that before surgery it was really helpful for me to make a list of pros and cons. This really helped me sort out my feelings and where my real concerns were. I found that not only did my pros outweigh my cons, but many of the cons were things that I had an active hand in. For example, I was very scared of pain/recovery. But when I looked over posts and literature I found that patients that are active in their care and follow post-op instructions well are very successful. After surgery I stuck to my breathing exercises, did my best to walk as much as I could, and have been pretty strict on my diet. I think it's been instrumental in decreasing my risk of some post-op complications (Blood clots, pneumonia, excessive gas). I couldn't decrease every con, but there were enough that I was able to see that my pros far outweighed them.

I do wish that I had dealt a little bit more with my food issues pre-op. It would have been nice to have someone begin to help me sort out a few things ahead of time. Even though I didn't, I handle most things pretty well. A lot of this process is dealing with the mental readjustment. There is definitely a period (probably quite a few) where you go through food mourning. Right now, I don't enjoy seeing other people eat. It's something that I'm working on, but the differences between portion size really gets to me sometimes. When this happens I try and sort through why it bothers me. Most times I realize that I'm also anxious about something else. Where I would usually use food to fill that gap, I now am having to confront the issue head-on. It's a learning process.

I would not trade this surgery for the world. All the ups and downs have taught me so much about myself and I feel better than I did pre-op. My mood is better, my health is better, and I know if I hadn't gotten it that I would be 20+ pounds up instead of 20+ pounds down today.