Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about pouch size

I have been reading about people who have had gastric bypass, and regain alot of their weight because their pouch stretches.

Does this also happen with the lapband,

why or why not???

Thanks!

It can. Below is a post that I made on another thread. I edited it a bit but I think it is very interesting and important information to understand about the tool that we have had inserted in our bodies.

Well, I am very, very new to this process so this reply isn't based on personal experience but on research. I have read many, many posts on this site and also read every lap band site, Dr. Site, Advocate site, Negative site, Before and After site that I can locate multiple times over. For two years now, I have been doing this, I am the kind of person that likes to know every single detail good or bad, so that I know what to expect.

So, now that you know the history of where this comes from, out of all of the research that I have gathered via websites, Dr.'s, statistics and real life people, I have concluded that the best recommended way to maintain your 4oz pouch "for life" and to not have it dialate, slip or erode, is to only eat 4-6oz in a sitting. This includes people restricted and non-restricted. The Restriction is designed to keep you full longer, not necessarily to allow you to eat more. So, if you are non-restricted and 6oz does not keep full for long, then it is recommened to have two 6oz. snack/meals when you feel hungry, instead of one big 12oz meal.

It is a proven fact that your pouch will dialate over time, it is body tissue and cannot be prevented. (If supervised and caught early enough, it is a very, very simple procedure to get you back down to your oringinal 4oz. pouch size, which is why you should never skip an annual appointment) So, it would be easy to surmize that a person eating 8-10oz in a sitting is going to dialate their original 4oz pouch over time faster than one who eats 4-6oz. in a sitting.

Here is a good website that I found on this board that is suggested to help you determine what your pouch size is now. This site is a gastric bypass blog site, however you could easily do this test and apply band techniques, like not scarfing down as much as you can in 5 mins. instead eat slowly like we are supposed to.

http://www.geocities.com/sweetartz1975/cottagecheese.html

Faybie - That is a great article and way to estimate pouch size. I'm sure most bandster, like gb patients, worry about pouch size.

Excellent article faybe.....interesting to note that the average size pouch holds 5.5 ounces and the pouches tested ranged from 3 to 9 ounces yet the size of the pouch had "NO IMPACT on the person's success in weight loss".

Now I can relax a little about "stretching" my pouch.....I've been a little paranoid about it.:nervous

HI EVERYONE,

IM THINKING ABOUT HAVING THE LAP BAND SURGERY IN DECEMBER. I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS

HOW DID YOU FIND YOUR DOCTOR?

DID YOUR INSURANCE PAY FOR IT?

IS IT PAINFUL?

HOW LONG WEREYOU OFF WORK?

Excellent article faybe.....interesting to note that the average size pouch holds 5.5 ounces and the pouches tested ranged from 3 to 9 ounces yet the size of the pouch had "NO IMPACT on the person's success in weight loss".

Now I can relax a little about "stretching" my pouch.....I've been a little paranoid about it.:nervous

Well remember that statement was made for a RNY patient. It is an RNY article. I hope I didn't confuse anyone, I just thought it was an interesting test. I found that article in the archives of posts here, btw.

HI EVERYONE,

IM THINKING ABOUT HAVING THE LAP BAND SURGERY IN DECEMBER. I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS

HOW DID YOU FIND YOUR DOCTOR?

DID YOUR INSURANCE PAY FOR IT?

IS IT PAINFUL?

HOW LONG WEREYOU OFF WORK?

Welcome Amy,

I think you will find all of those answers here on this board. One neat trick that someone taught me when I was new, was to use the "search". On the blue bar above the posts you will find "search" right in the middle. You can enter the topic you are interested in reading about. I bet you would find a plethora of topics on "insurance".

As far as chosing my Dr., I had 2 narrowed down and use the real life experiences of the posters here on LBT to decide between the 2.

I was self pay, but you will find people on here who have had insurance pay.

I don't think it was too painful, however being a cancer survivor, I have been through my fair share of surgeries and this was by far a simple procedure compared to others I have been through.

I was only off for 6 days, including my surgery day. I had my surgery on Wednesday and went to work the following Tuesday. I would not have been able to work on that Monday, however Tuesday was just fine.

Good luck,