Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Stupid Question #2 -- Good Calories Bad Calories

People do not stall because they aren't eating enough. I see SO many people climb on here freaking out because they're "stalled" and the first thing they do after three whole days of no loss is start screwing with their diet.

This is a major shock to our systems. Shedding weight at a rate of more than a pound a week is a shock to the body. It stops and starts and tries to recover along the way because you've completely changed from gaining weight to rapidly losing weight.

This has been widely debated here but the starvation mode thing is doubted but a lot of us.

Too many people carry those misguided notions from life prior to surgery (we MUST eat 1,200 calories or we'll starve, eat with a calorie deficit and you'll lose every time you step on the scale) and try to apply them to life post op. It's not the same. Diets are NOT all one size fits all, I say this over and over again. Why people who fail to lose the weight following a strict 1,200 calorie diet and exercising prior to surgery but then try to apply that same failed experiment to the sleeve post op amazes me.

Calories are fuel. They are neither good nor bad. food in and of itself is not good or bad. Life and diet are not black and white. food is fuel. The nutritional makeup of your food can be better or worse for your body, and you can certainly waste food space (very limited for a while post op) on absolute crap choices that do nothing to further your nutritional goals. Living like the sleeve is a diet is the biggest culprit I see in stressed out sleevers and regain posts.

Everyone's body is different. How many calories you need is based upon how your body does. I was amazed to see that I lost best initially with about 800-900 calories a day. It took me months to get to the point where I could eat that much. I still lost when I ate less, and I still lost when I eventually upped my calories. It's not an exact science for most of us. There isn't a big, bold line we can't cross - it's flexible, and a lot of it is dependent on what you're eating and how your body reacts to those foods.

I am a huge advocate of eating normally. That means no foods are off limits and moderation is key in all things. That said, I truly feel that our weight issues start with our brains and our habits of disordered eating. So until a freshly sleeved person learns more about how their new body tolerates things, and until they work on some of the head issues, I wouldn't say that worrying about upping calories, and downing possible trigger foods to do it, is a good idea.

It's a process. There is nothing wrong with indulging once in a while - it's normal. But building a habit of telling yourself that you need extra calories, and therefore a bowl of ice cream (or some other such treat) is necessary each day *could* be a slippery slope for a lot of people.

I truly believe you'll have such a hard time getting in your basic Protein first calories that you won't have room for the thought of anything else. That's how it is for the vast majority of us.

And nothing tops a lower carb Protein shake for nutritional punch. We don't eat them to add to our calories in most cases. We eat them because you can drink pretty easily once you're healed, and drinking up to 50 grams of Protein with only 200 calories for a meal is a darn good way to stay healthy once you're sleeved.

You brought up some interesting questions. I am not trying to slam you or any of the other responses here, or lecturing you as if there's only one way to live post op. I've just spent a lot of time on these boards in the last three years and I've seen a lot of trends.

Best of luck to you, and congrats on trying to work some of this out prior to surgery. It shows you're trying to prepare and that's important. Too many people skip the questions and research!

~Cheri

People do not stall because they aren't eating enough. I see SO many people climb on here freaking out because they're "stalled" and the first thing they do after three whole days of no loss is start screwing with their diet.

This is a major shock to our systems. Shedding weight at a rate of more than a pound a week is a shock to the body. It stops and starts and tries to recover along the way because you've completely changed from gaining weight to rapidly losing weight.

This has been widely debated here but the starvation mode thing is doubted but a lot of us.

Too many people carry those misguided notions from life prior to surgery (we MUST eat 1' date='200 calories or we'll starve, eat with a calorie deficit and you'll lose every time you step on the scale) and try to apply them to life post op. It's not the same. Diets are NOT all one size fits all, I say this over and over again. Why people who fail to lose the weight following a strict 1,200 calorie diet and exercising prior to surgery but then try to apply that same failed experiment to the sleeve post op amazes me.

Calories are fuel. They are neither good nor bad. food in and of itself is not good or bad. Life and diet are not black and white. food is fuel. The nutritional makeup of your food can be better or worse for your body, and you can certainly waste food space (very limited for a while post op) on absolute crap choices that do nothing to further your nutritional goals. Living like the sleeve is a diet is the biggest culprit I see in stressed out sleevers and regain posts.

Everyone's body is different. How many calories you need is based upon how your body does. I was amazed to see that I lost best initially with about 800-900 calories a day. It took me months to get to the point where I could eat that much. I still lost when I ate less, and I still lost when I eventually upped my calories. It's not an exact science for most of us. There isn't a big, bold line we can't cross - it's flexible, and a lot of it is dependent on what you're eating and how your body reacts to those foods.

I am a huge advocate of eating normally. That means no foods are off limits and moderation is key in all things. That said, I truly feel that our weight issues start with our brains and our habits of disordered eating. So until a freshly sleeved person learns more about how their new body tolerates things, and until they work on some of the head issues, I wouldn't say that worrying about upping calories, and downing possible trigger foods to do it, is a good idea.

It's a process. There is nothing wrong with indulging once in a while - it's normal. But building a habit of telling yourself that you need extra calories, and therefore a bowl of ice cream (or some other such treat) is necessary each day *could* be a slippery slope for a lot of people.

I truly believe you'll have such a hard time getting in your basic Protein first calories that you won't have room for the thought of anything else. That's how it is for the vast majority of us.

And nothing tops a lower carb Protein shake for nutritional punch. We don't eat them to add to our calories in most cases. We eat them because you can drink pretty easily once you're healed, and drinking up to 50 grams of protein with only 200 calories for a meal is a darn good way to stay healthy once you're sleeved.

You brought up some interesting questions. I am not trying to slam you or any of the other responses here, or lecturing you as if there's only one way to live post op. I've just spent a lot of time on these boards in the last three years and I've seen a lot of trends.

Best of luck to you, and congrats on trying to work some of this out prior to surgery. It shows you're trying to prepare and that's important. Too many people skip the questions and research!

~Cheri[/quote']

Thanks for sharing. I emailed my Nut and said "all these people are saying they had to up their calories to continue losing!" I was starting to get really confused...I'm sticking to what she and Dr Cirangle are telling me to do...they're the experts. And when I do stall, I'll try not to let it get to me.

*****White Flag***** ****** White Flag****** ******White Flag******

Ok' date=' sometimes my stupidity amazes me! Why oh why I thought mentioning ice cream on a weight loss surgery forum was a good idea I will never know!! Chalk it up to

1) I love ice cream. Uh, duh right? That is why I'm here -- I love it too much obviously.

2) I'm still getting the hang of this surgery and "mushy" food thing -- it just turns me off and ice cream to me is a mushy food that does not turn me off! LOL Again, duh right?

Believe it or not I did lose 160lbs by doing low carb 10 tens ago. And I was still a size 16 at that point. But I was happy -- going from a size 32 to 16 was fine was with me. I kept most of it off until about 4 years ago when I begin struggling. And it has been 4 years of devastated self esteem, failure after failure. I have gained 60lbs back. I have Multiple Sclerosis and I want to make the most of my life NOW just in case I'm physically limited down the road. I had sort of an epiphany ---- I really believe this surgery is my only hope.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and restraint instead of just posting "you're a moron". :)

Dana[/quote']

Good for you that you are making this decision. You won't regret it! My daily diet varies. I like to switch things up and/or my schedule doesn't always allow me to do things the same every

day. I do have days where what I eat takes care of my Protein needs and days where I have to drink a shake to meet the goal. Some days only half a shake. Sometimes maybe a third or half a Protein Bar. Just depends. I love adding my vanilla Protein Powder to my coffee. I don't worry about calories unless I creep towards 1000 but that is rare.

My body tends to rearrange itself and lose inches during those so-called stalls. Cheri is right. Everyone is different and I tend do not do well when I add wheat to my diet. For me is not a simple case of calorie deficit.

I only differ with Cheri in that there are some things that I can no longer do in moderation because it affects me badly. Sugar tops the list. Highly processed foods are next. Plain white bread, white Pasta and white rice are others. Thankfully I can work around all that super easily.

Yes, I have become an annoying health food nut. I think the basic rules of Protein first, lower glycemic fruits and vegetables and a smaller yet amount of HEALTHY carbs will work for us. It's a pain tracking and measuring food sometimes. but it's not difficult.

Don't let the stalls get you down because they are a normal part of the weight loss process. Just keep doing everything you are supposed to be doing with eating and exercising and it's going to come off.

When I tell anybody how many calories I take in they think I'm starving myself. I don't know where the magic "nothing below 1200" came from either.

As far as not getting enough calories, I occasionally add a tablespoon of Peanut Butter at the end of the day if I am under 500 calories. I do have to check first what my fat intake has been that day. It is my favorite way to boost calories and have a major treat, and it doesn't really take up room in my sleeve.

I am three months out. I expect that with a little more time this won't be an issue.

You sound like you are already adjusting your expectations, which is good. It is hard to wrap our heads around such an intense lifestyle change.

You can do it!

Thanks for sharing. I emailed my Nut and said "all these people are saying they had to up their calories to continue losing!" I was starting to get really confused...I'm sticking to what she and Dr Cirangle are telling me to do...they're the experts. And when I do stall, I'll try not to let it get to me.

Dr. Cirangle's patients have some of the best excess weight loss stats I've ever seen. I have met some of the most successful sleevers that were sleeved by Dr. Cirangle and follow his diet plan. You are definitely in very competent hands :-)

Dr. Cirangle's patients have some of the best excess weight loss stats I've ever seen. I have met some of the most successful sleevers that were sleeved by Dr. Cirangle and follow his diet plan. You are definitely in very competent hands :-)

Aww that makes me feel good! So my $17,500 wasn't wasted? Lol I'm starting his support group tonight. I'm lucky I live close to him. I know a lot of his patients fly out to see him.

I took in between 450 and 650 calories per day during most of my losing phase. I was in constant contact with the nurse (we're given her cell number before we leave the hospital) and the dietitian. This was not a problem at all. I was getting in the Protein I needed to get and by month two I got it all in with food, no Protein Shakes, bullets, nothing. I'd say by the time I reached goal I was getting in 700 - 800 calories per day. When I started maintenence I did increase calories to maintain. I couldn't get it all in with the amount I was eating, so I was instructed to go from skim to 1% milk and to not be afraid to get a side of mushroom, black peppercorn gravy on the side to dip steak in....things like that. I couldn't quit losing, and I was up to 1000 calories. Finally after adding a morning snack and mid day snack...NOT ice cream or twinkies :) I maintain easily at 1200 calories. I gained back the additional weight I did not want to lose and now, on vacation I can put on 5 lbs, but I nip it in the bud and it comes off pretty quickly. Do NOT worry about the lack of calories, just so you feel good, which I'm betting you will.....it's all good. We had 85% of our stomachs removed for a reason!

Hi,

You may have missed the spirit of my question. I've read quite a number of posts that talk about not being able to eat the proper daily calories, which stalls many people. My comment about chocolate and ice cream was as a treat with lots of bang for the buck for someone that was having a difficult time getting enough calories in. I wasn't suggesting to eat ice cream instead of veggies or Protein. But it takes quite a bit more greens Beans as a snack (volume wise, which is the issue because you can only eat a small amount) than ice cream (again, volume wise). The point of post was that it may be quick way to add 100 calories if needed.

A cup of skim milk will add about 90 calories. Veggies should be kept at a minimum compared to Protein. chicken, fish, I've kept a bag of frozen shrimp in my freezer since week six, tuna, cottage cheese, eggs, beef, lean porkchops. The focus is on protein first and foremost. I never put one bite of anything sweet in my mouth until I reached goal. I wouldn't have taken a lick of an ice cream cone. I was told fruit should be seldom and considered a treat. Still now, I still am focused on protein, and with my 3 - 3.5 oz of meat, I'll have an eighth of a cup of cottage cheese and the same amount of whatever veggie we have on the side. If we have potatoes I will have the same amount.

Hi,

You may have missed the spirit of my question. I've read quite a number of posts that talk about not being able to eat the proper daily calories, which stalls many people. My comment about chocolate and ice cream was as a treat with lots of bang for the buck for someone that was having a difficult time getting enough calories in. I wasn't suggesting to eat ice cream instead of veggies or Protein. But it takes quite a bit more greens Beans as a snack (volume wise, which is the issue because you can only eat a small amount) than ice cream (again, volume wise). The point of post was that it may be quick way to add 100 calories if needed.

I think she fully understood your question. There would be no reason to eat a bowl of sugary icecream, this in no way will help you to lose weight. The point of the surgery is for you to eat less and hopefully stick to clean, healthy Proteins, veggie with a little carb.............good luck to you!

I just thought I'd give you an idea what my soft foods diet has been like so far. I am on soft foods for 3 months before moving to regular, so I've got a while to come up with stuff =p

In the morning I always have a 6oz Protein shake or smoothie w/greek yogurt, skim milk, fruit, 1-2 scoops Protein powder.

Morning snack: usually something simple like 1/2-3/4 cup of cabbage Soup that I make over the weekend. I have been trying to add in fruit as Snacks too, so sometimes I'll opt for 1/2 a banana or a couple strawberries.

Lunch: Some kind of meat - Usually leftovers from the night before. I really like shredded chicken thrown in the crock pot with some salsa and stuff. I will have about 2oz of meat and sometimes a veggie/a couple fruit slices if I have room

Afternoon snack: Often I'll have a small Protein shake/smoothie because I have trouble getting in all my protein, but sometimes I'll have something like a couple ounces of tuna salad with a little bit of cheese on top

Dinner: Ground or flaky meat - 2oz with either steamed veggies or some kind of veggie/sauce that it's cooked in. If I don't have anything made I will usually have scrambled eggs or tuna.

Evening snack: I don't always get this one in because if I wake up late I throw the timing off, but I will sometimes have fruit slices, milk with a tsp of no sugar added hersheys chocolate Syrup (I love chocolate milk), or a little bit of juice. If I've really been craving something sweet I'll have a small amount of carb smart ice cream, but I've found the less I have it, the less I even want anything sweet.

I have been getting about 500-700 calories most days, 60+ grams of protein, and 50 or under carbs (I try and aim for under 40 on good days), Most days it seems to give me a decent amount of energy. I really miss crunchy, I can't wait to try some of emilybites recipes once I finally get back to regular foods.