Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

three weeks post-op=1st fill?! Also how much cc's is ave. for 1st fill?

Had my first post-op meeting with my doc(6 days banded)and was informed that at our next meeting(in 2 weeks)I would receive my first fill?! I was a little shocked that I would get a fill that quickly? Is 3 weeks uncommon? I will barely have been in "smooshy" stage by then.......are you not supposed to wait 6-8 weeks until you get to solids to find out what you can and can't handle both volume and texture wise? Thanks-Brian

PS-Also what is the "average" cc's that I might expect for a 1st fill?

The amount of cc's depends on what size band you have and your doctor's preference.....they all seem to have a different idea.

I had my first fill at 6 weeks. However, I know that some doctors actually put a small amount of fill in during the surgery.

I had my first fill 4,5months after surgery.They wanted everything to heal and at the begining I dont think its necessary cause at least for two three months I didnt need the fill I had quite good restriction.

Yesterday I got my first fill and it was only 1cc into my 10cc band.

Six weeks was the first for me. What kind of band do you have?

What kind of band do I have.....hmmm, that's a good ? and one I should probably ask!lol All I saw was what it looked like before hand, I just assumed by the way my surgeon spoke, that there was only one that was approved for FDA use. Unless you are just talking about size, in which case I will have to call my doc and ask.-Brian

I also feel like I've got good restriction thus far(not that it's been very long!:)and personally would like to wait a couple of months to see how things go. I might not lose weight the quickist way possible, but would rather "feel" things out and ease into this......instead of maybe getting frustrated too early with all the restriction?

If you feel you want to wait why dnt you suggest that to your doctor? I would definitely do that its your body and you know what feels right!

I think its better too lose one pound each week than to be too restricted that you have PBs (although I had Pbs without fill, but that was entirely my fault-not chewing well).

Good luck!!!

Hey Eficka, your totally right. I guess I just figure that they are the ones who have done this 100's of times and probably this is what has worked best in the past?(even though everyone is vastly different) I think I also have a little trouble saying anything, because my doc is cute and I don't want to seen like a puss.:(-Brian

I got my first fill at 2 days shy of 4 weeks. I had 1.5 cc's put in my 9.75cm inamed band. Two weeks later at 6 weeks I had .75 put in, putting me at 2.25 in a 4 cc's band. I'm scheduled for another fill in 2 more weeks but we'll have to wait and see as I have perfect restriction at this time. Hope this helps.

"well Brian, its hard to say because here in Czech Republic they almost dont want to give you any fills, cause they want to keep that option for time when you arent losing.I think that kind of makes sence.If you feel you have some restriction and you are losing why to have a fill?"

That's my exact feeling also Eva! Thanks, I needed to hear that. If I don't feel ready in a couple weeks I'll just tell her that. IMO I think 6 weeks post-op would be just fine. I don't believe restriction is a problem for me at this stage yet, I had my surgery 7 days ago and am down over 8kg so far. Thanks again-Brian

Wow, sounds like you got your fills in rapid fire order!<G> I'm really curious how the first one went? Had your weight loss hit a plateau or was it just dr. recommended for your 1st fill? Did you feel like your body had enough time to get used to the 1st fill, before the 2nd two weeks later? Sorry for a the ?'s.....just curious! Thanks-Brian

If you feel you want to wait why dnt you suggest that to your doctor? I would definitely do that its your body and you know what feels right!

I think its better too lose one pound each week than to be too restricted that you have PBs (although I had Pbs without fill, but that was entirely my fault-not chewing well).

Good luck!!!

This is exactly what I suffer from now! I don't chew as much as I should!!:frown: But I had my first fill 4 weeks after banding..2/8/08..I don't know what size my band is..probably a big one since I'm a big girl..but the usual time frame according to what my doc told me I'd be going through is 4-6 weeks. He put 5cc in me..I think that was because he couldn't find the perfect spot on my port and when he finally hit it..he let 'er loose!:biggrin2: My biggest problem with the fill is NOT CHEWING ENOUGH..I still blend my salads and meats as much as I can to make it easier..I hate that pressure build up in my chest when I know I've messed up again!:frown: Brian..you do what you feel most comfortable with..your doctor I'm sure will understand..most of us want to lose our weight quickly and myself..I've done the 50 pounds off in 3 months routine then gained it back on reg diets..so with the lapband..I've decided to go slower..I'm due for another check on 17 Apr..I don't think I want another fill either but we'll see what the doc has to say..good luck and only you know what your body feels! :wub: