Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Band VS Gastric Bypass...What made your decision??

Guest Sew N Sew

Guest Sew N Sew

Ok, after going to my 1st seminar tonite, hearing from the Head Doc, on both surgeries, and 2 of her GB patients, I thought I still wanted the Band. Now after reading peoples complications "Golfballin" PBing etc.. I wonder if those same issues happen with the Bypass???

Thanks,

Gael

The band is alot safer procedure, golf balling and pbing are just some of the side effects from the lap band but are not life threatning, the bypass is alot more complicated with long term effects if it goes wrong. at least the band is reversable a bypass is NOT. The band is the safest option to choose and thats why i chose it.

Ok, after going to my 1st seminar tonite, hearing from the Head Doc, on both surgeries, and 2 of her GB patients, I thought I still wanted the Band. Now after reading peoples complications "Golfballin" PBing etc.. I wonder if those same issues happen with the Bypass???

Thanks,

Gael :rolleyes:

Gael,

Tonight when the doc goes over the gastric bypass, tune into words like "rerouting", "malabsorption", "lifetime supplementation", "not reversible", "plastic surgery", "recovery time" etc.

I must admit that one of the most disturbing things I've recently read regarding the gastric bypass is that those who stretch the pouch are actually returning at a later date to get banded on top of the bypass because eventually they started to regain the weight.

Also, keep in mind that if you choose the band, and it doesn't work for you, then you can always convert to one of the other weight loss procedures should band removal become necessary.

Hopefully the Dr. also mentions the "side effects" for GB, including dumping, which sounds far worse then PBing to me.

Good luck with your decision.

Hopefully the Dr. also mentions the "side effects" for GB, including dumping, which sounds far worse then PBing to me.

Good luck with your decision.

OOOh, I forgot about dumping syndrome. It's when you eat too much sugar your whole body becomes sick. I had a friend who had the bypass and one day I watched him eat a sliver of cake and he became sick.

The way he explained it to me is that because his stomach had been rerouted and reduced to the size of about an egg (actually, I think it was smaller than an egg), eating a sliver of cake was like eating the whole cake. He watches his carb intake very carefully to avoid the dumping syndrome. In fact, he's one of the reasons why I chose the band over the bypass. One of the other reasons is that another very dear friend of mine passed away about three years after she had the bypass from complications -- that malabsorption thing is NO JOKE!

Pretty much what the others have said. And I spoke indepth with 2 others at my work who had lapbands already. Although, when I intially went to the first meeting all that were there was bypassers.(not to mention all women too!) I was a little shocked not to see even one bander. Well hopefully now that I'm banded I'll be the first to show up for a "show and tell" Being the only bander and the only guy there......that would make me feel pretty gosh darn special!!!lol-Brian

Not messing with my insides is why I chose the band, it is safer, I can take it out and be the same as before, I have more control over things. RYN was just not an option for me.

The biggest decision was the fact that the band is a much less invasive procedure and completely reversible. Nothing that God gave me has to be cut out, rerouted, etc. I will lose weight at a slower, healthier pace and not have to worry about malabsorption issues or dumping.

I am sure if you go to gastric bypass boards, you will see as many people posting there about complications, dumping, etc. as you see here about pb's. Both have their pros and cons. You just need to research both and decide what is best for you.

In reply to a comment made by Randi.....you are 100% right. I had gastric bypass back in 2002. I started at 325 lbs and got down to 228lbs. I then started gaining. I am back up to my orig. weight. My pouch stretched and the stoma (the opening from the stomach to the intestine) is wide opened. I eat and it immediately leaves the stomach. I am in the process of now getting a lap band to decrease my pouch size. Having revission surgery to make my pouch small again seems too invasive. Dumping, Malabsorbtion are only a few of the side effects. I wish I had done the band from the start.

One question....what is golfballing and pb'ing. I never heard these terms.

The band is alot safer procedure, golf balling and pbing are just some of the side effects from the lap band but are not life threatning, the bypass is alot more complicated with long term effects if it goes wrong. at least the band is reversable a bypass is NOT. The band is the safest option to choose and thats why i chose it.

I agree!!!! My husband said the bypass was not an option. I agreed with him. However I do want my weight loss to be permenant. So I guess I will have to stay on top of things. Banded 9/8 and feeling great!!!:(

Now after reading peoples complications "Golfballin" PBing

these side effects are minor compared to the major side effects of the GB in my opinion, I was not willing to have Dumping or to have my intestines rerouted or malabsorption issues my entire life. I'll take golfball or pbing any day of the week, not to mention with the GB there is the risk of pouch stretching two years out, then weight gain starts again, withthe band it isalways adjustable, no dumping, no rerouting of my intestines, no dumping. yes it may be a slower weight loss then the GB but to me in the long run it is worth it, plus the slower I lose the less flabby I will be. My DH said NO to the GB also

Guest Sew N Sew

Hi all, thanks or posting on my 1st ever "New Thread":) You guys are great!

Anyway, I had pretty much decided on the BAND, but when I went to the seminar the 2 ladies were practically bouncing up and down about Bypass. So HMMMM I thought, I'm willing to listen. Cracked me up, a lady in the audience Poo Pooed when the Band subject was being covered. I heard her say " Oh, not MEEEE, NO forein body inside meeee!" I thought, Geez, better to have your inerds all rearranged and cut up and to ALWAYS have malabsorption, OOOH that sounds SOOO much better! I think the Band needs to be considered in making the decision towards Bypass....I the Band was not available, I wouldn't have anything done. Oh well, ignorant people just irritate me :biggrin1: . I am happy with my choice, and will continue on the path....

Would these women bat an eye if they needed an artificial hip replacement or a pacemaker. Those are foreign objects and the band is made of the same material (or very similar).

Lind2times -- PBing is productive burping (aka vomiting but doesn't quite feel completely like it since it is only from your pouch). It can happen when you overeat or have something stuck that was not chewed well. Sliming is when you have an excess of saliva that comes up.

I am 3 years out, had a slip and needed a revision, and I still love my band even if it can be very fickle.

You are doing great researching, keep reading and learning.

As a single parent, I feel I need to do something to make certain I'm around for my daughter as long as possible. However, it needs to be a safe something, and the complications of banding are nonexistent compared to those of bypass. The mortality rate alone scared me off of that.

One more point to consider that no one yet has mentioned. There is much research being done into the "Why" and "How" of obesity.

Suppose you have your guts all rearranged and parts removed and the next month they come up with a drug/pill or technique that allows you to eat normally and/or control your hunger?

Then what?

You can't go back to your doctor and say, "Put everything back together the way it used to be".:faint: