Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am starting to feel pretty lost. I haven't seen my surgeon yet for my first postop and I will be 3 weeks out when I do. His office is 4 hours away. I have called with a couple questions but that's it.

I really need some direction starting to feel like I'm not on track. I just realized I should be supplementing my Calcium and B -12. I totally spaced it. Ugh! guess I just need to regroup :(

I was told to take two Flintstones Vitamins a day, 500 mg of B12 chewable a day, One Prilosic in which I was to open the capsule and swallow the contents once a day, Calcium with Vitamin D. No gummies, all chewables. I also take an antidepressant and was told to crush it and I take xanax that will dissolve under you tongue (which I didn't know). Get as much Water in as possible. I go around ALL day with a cup of ice water. I try to buy Sonic ice so I can crunch on it. Leave the strips over your incisions alone and let them fall off on their own. No swimming till incisions are completely healed. I was on liquids for 4 more weeks. Then to mushies which Im having trouble keeping down. I had alot of SF popcycles and still do. Don't lift over 10 lbs till he says its ok..about 4-6 weeks. You will be so tired all the time...thats normal. When your back and incision hurt...use a heating pad. When you just HAVE to have something different..tropical snows are wonderful. Also, gravey and creamed Soups. Eat VERY slow to avoid the throat and chest pain. Don't drink and eat to avoid the vomiting.

Hope this helps, this is all from my dr and my experiences. When the pain gets really bad, go to Walmart or somewhere with shopping carts for you to hold on to. The fresh air, people and walk will help. I could only handle about 20 min of slow walking at a time. Take water in with you. I was dieing of thirst in walmart trying to walk around. If you use the vanilla Protein Shakes, add the little one cup instant coffee to the bottle, shake and serve over ice. Pretty good for something different. :rolleyes:

Oh and when I did eat...it was like 3 bites and I was full....waste of money to go out to eat this early. I went to KFC with my husband today...1/2 chicken leg and I was stuffed.

All is not lost. I would give the surgeon a call and see what exactly you are supposed to be doing and don't let them hang up until you've written it all down and it is clear to you. You deserve to be certain. I am surprised you don't have that information clearly spelled out to you in instruction sheets already.

This is not really hard due to the very few things you are allowed to eat at this point. The supplementation is important. I doubt that you have done any damage to yourself. Take heart! :)

Thanks for the advise, I do have written dietary instructions. I had no idea for instance that there is a cut off for calories. I have barely lost any weight. My surgery was July 26th and I have barely lost anything. :(. I seriously feel like a total failure.

Body weight loss is a mysterious thing. The tape measure is a more reliable gauge. It seems like scale is the last thing to get the picture.

One thing is certain. If you drink and eat right and get exercise when you can, the fat will come off. I have been at many plateaus since Jan.16,2012. I now have only 9 pounds to goal weight, just broke into single digits this morning. 101 pounds lost altogether. The body takes it's time adjusting, you have to have patience with it. There were a number of times that I was getting smaller but the scale didn't go down.

You just laid a bundle of change on your body. It will need some time to assimilate everything. The body is a very complex mechanism. Sometimes it seems maddening and illogical but even so, I couldn't live without mine. ^_^

Thanks Gman I am just sooo frustrated. I'm not a very patient person so that's an issue. Lol. I want results yesterday. I have taken some liberties with my diet but haven't exceeded about 900 cal a day. Then I see I should be between 500-700 cal. When I heard this originally I thought it was due to not being able to consume more right after surgery. I adjusted quickly to soft food so not hard to hit the 900 cals. I pulled out all my literature and am gonna go back to basics.

Again thanks for the encouragement. :)

I was told to take two Flintstones Vitamins a day' date=' 500 mg of B12 chewable a day, One Prilosic in which I was to open the capsule and swallow the contents once a day, Calcium with Vitamin D. No gummies, all chewables. I also take an antidepressant and was told to crush it and I take xanax that will dissolve under you tongue (which I didn't know). Get as much Water in as possible. I go around ALL day with a cup of ice Water. I try to buy Sonic ice so I can crunch on it. Leave the strips over your incisions alone and let them fall off on their own. No swimming till incisions are completely healed. I was on liquids for 4 more weeks. Then to mushies which Im having trouble keeping down. I had alot of SF popcycles and still do. Don't lift over 10 lbs till he says its ok..about 4-6 weeks. You will be so tired all the time...thats normal. When your back and incision hurt...use a heating pad. When you just HAVE to have something different..tropical snows are wonderful. Also, gravey and creamed Soups. Eat VERY slow to avoid the throat and chest pain. Don't drink and eat to avoid the vomiting.

Hope this helps, this is all from my dr and my experiences. When the pain gets really bad, go to Walmart or somewhere with shopping carts for you to hold on to. The fresh air, people and walk will help. I could only handle about 20 min of slow walking at a time. Take water in with you. I was dieing of thirst in walmart trying to walk around. If you use the vanilla Protein shakes, add the little one cup instant coffee to the bottle, shake and serve over ice. Pretty good for something different. :rolleyes:[/quote']

Thanks for the good info. Back to basics now:)

Thanks for the advise, I do have written dietary instructions. I had no idea for instance that there is a cut off for calories. I have barely lost any weight. My surgery was July 26th and I have barely lost anything. :(. I seriously feel like a total failure.

Keep in mind you gain weight when you are in the hospital for surgery from all the IV's and gas in your stomach. I gained 9 lbs and was furious! It started coming off about week 2-3. Stalled at 3 and then started losing again after about a week.