Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Lovely Pre-Op Diet...

Well I start my pre-op diet Monday. I'll be following it up until my surgery, which is the following Monday the 20th. Here's what I have to do:

No Carbs, no sugar...(basically nothing, right?)

Maximum of 1200 Calories per day (she said I don't have to reach this, and I shouldn't be surprised if I only get like 400-500 per day)

Can't drink more than four "shakes" per day.

My only Protein choices (for the shakes, i guess) is Isopure and ISO100.

There's also a list of Clear liquids that I can choose from, and I can have unlimited amounts apparently...

• sugar free popsicles
  • Sugar free Jello
  • Crystal Light
  • Chicken/Beef broth
  • coffee (no milk or cream)
  • Tea

She said I could use SILK, soy "milk" I guess?...I can also use Splenda.

She did say since my BMI is lower than most of the patients they deal with (mine is 43) if I just can't stand the Isopure when I try it, I can use powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. Soooo, we'll see. Anyone had an absolute awful time with Isopure? Which one tastes best?...P.S., feel sorry for my fiance and everyone else in my path while I'm on this torturous pre-op diet!

I didn't use any of the shakes you mention. I did want to tell you good luck with your preop diet. It can be rough. Just remember why you are doing it and that it is only temporary.

I use the Premiere Nutrition shakes... found at costco... really super cold... the vanilla is the best, then the chocolate, can not seem to find strawberry anywhere!!!

I use it as the base to my smoothies whether Breakfast snack or meal!!

I have surgery August 28th.. and I technically start my pre op diet August 14th, but I have been some prep work with the shakes and only trying to eat food once daily!!!

I tried Isopure alpine punch. 0 carb. I tried it room temperature and don't like it but I was able to drink 2/3 of the bottle ( 237ml) I was told that cold would taste much better.

so might be try to blend it with ice or just drink from the fridge

Personally I like my clear Isopure, many don't but I like the benefits of it and the taste is good with me. Also the high Protein keeps me feeling full. I get the mixed case from Lucky Vitamins online so I get a variety. My favorite flavor of them is the Peach Mango but it's nice to have the variety. It was great on clears to be able to get the liquid and the protein. I did not like Unjury Protein Powder pre-op but post-op I like it because its not too thick and right now too thick makes me feel sick. The only Unjury I really don't like is their chicken Broth...yuck. I prefer my shakes made with Unsweetened Almond -40 calories, rather than Silk.

Good luck with the pre-op.

Jennifer

I tried Isopure alpine punch. 0 carb. I tried it room temperature and don't like it but I was able to drink 2/3 of the bottle ( 237ml) I was told that cold would taste much better.

so might be try to blend it with ice or just drink from the fridge

Ice cold is the key to Isopure for me too!

Thanks for the replies so far! Looks like i'm stuck with the Isopure, at least for pre-op. My bariatric coordinator said I could mix it with Crystal light.. So I'll see what I have to work with. My biggest issue is, apparently I can't have anymore than 2g carbs in one meal sitting...I'm hoping that'll be easier than it seems!

Did you ask your doctor about Atkins shakes or medifast one?

My want me to be on medifast. will ask him why in a week. but they are low calories only 90-110 per drink.

Yeah I asked if I had any other choice other than Isopure or Iso100 for pre-op, and they said they prefer I do that because it's zero carbs zero sugar...she did say though if I absolutely can't stand it I could substitute with Unjury, but I'd have to order that and I don't really have the time

I use the Premiere Nutrition shakes... found at costco... really super cold... the vanilla is the best' date=' then the chocolate, can not seem to find strawberry anywhere!!!

I use it as the base to my smoothies whether Breakfast snack or meal!!

I have surgery August 28th.. and I technically start my pre op diet August 14th, but I have been some prep work with the shakes and only trying to eat food once daily!!![/quote']

I've heard strawberry isn't sold in stores. You have to get it online.

I had to buy Protein powder from my doctor's office. It's not the worst ever, but I've had better. I agree with @nikkrew on the Premier Protein drinks. They are small and compact and pack a whopping 30 grams of Protein. I buy the chocolate ones at costco.

Not a huge fan of the Isopure, but am tolerating them. I know right now how important it is to get my protein in no matter what during these first few weeks post op. I'm really looking forward to being able to get my protein fix with real food somewhere down the line.

Good luck with the pre op and your 8/20 surgery!!