Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 4 Post-Op - Some Questions

Maybe you need to stick with Clear Liquids for a week or two. Give your new stomach some time. Hot feels good, tea, broth, warm liquid Jello. Just give it some time.

I'd of course follow up with your doctor, especially with that slightly elevated temp, but maybe you have a sodium imbalance. Sometimes we get over hydrated while in the hospital and this can decrease sodium. Maybe, take in some broth or bouillon cubes. These are super high sodium & you can add flavorless Protein if you like. The 1st surgeon I had a consult with also puts people on Protein drinks after 2 days (which ASMBS also states 1-2dsys of clears then, full liquids with milk)but the consensus about post-op diets on VST is 1 week clears. Wishing you a speedy recovery&keep us updated!

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=691

I think if you are having trouble keeping down fluids then you should try to get in your Water first and foremost. But I was started on fulls at 3 days post op and Ihave had no trouble keeping them down.

How are you today? Did you get a hold of your doctor?

I am at the hospital right now waiting to get an upper GI series, see of anything is getting through. The doctor thinks that either I'm really swollen and nothing can get through or maybe there is a kink in my sleeve somewhere and liquid can't make it through. I have to say, I have the single best dietician in the world. I emailed her some questions yesterday and she called me this morning to check on me. When I told her it had been an hour and I had not heard back from the doctors office, she called them personally for me and told me I would have an appointment, no matter what. I know my surgeon is very busy, so I am so thankful!

Last night got pretty bad- I kept throwing up in my sleep! It was tough, and I really can't keep anything down for very long any more. If blood work shows I am really dehydrated, my doctor said that maybe we could just pump me full of fluids here and then send me home. I guess it's a waiting game- an all day waiting game!

Thank you for all the support!!

I have a structure about 2/3 of the way down my sleeve. liquid is barely making it through, I guess the good news is that SOME is getting through. So I'm just going to keep drinking. Doctor said to wait til early next week and see if it's just swelling. Anyone have any experience with strictures?!?

I know we can try dilating and a stent if need be. But the doctor did mention the "rare" possibility that we will need to reoperate and do bypass- something I really don't want to happen!

Wow I'm so sorry for your complications. I pray that you will start getting better soon and won't have to go through any further procedures.

I'm glad you got an answer to your problem. I really, really hope its just some swelling that goes down soon. You might want to start a new thread titled stricture it something similar to increase the odds of others seeing it who've had it. Take care and hang in there. You will love your sleeve one day!

I am so surprised as too how many people say they try to drink Water. My surgeon said water by itself will not go down it sits in the surface of the whole. Now if you break the water up with anything such as crystal light a lemon or anything else it is fine. It just shocks me do many people try to drink water. Also first week dont worry about Protein just follow a clear liquid plan

I agree with every one else. I was sleeved on tue aug 7, and have been taking 1 oz of protien at a time.. I am camping in bakersfield at 108 degrees . Dumbass!!! Anyways just drink 1-2 oz every 20 min u should be ok. The doctor told me protien and Vitamins don't really count the first week. What's important right now is staying hydrated. U can do it... I was regretting it yesterday thinking really negative. The truth is I'm just wanting to eat real food now.. :( good luck!!

rybecca20- so I was thinking that Water would be good and I love Water, but I decided to go with my "gut" (haha) and think about what would feel good. Some people suggested hot tea. 4 sips stayed down a whopping 1 hr 20 mins!!! That's a record for today!! I'm going to do crystal light and tea from now on! Feels good going down too! Wish I could get more than like 2 oz down!

alwayseating2012- I've been having a lot of those moments- "what did I do?!" I honestly did not think I would. I thought I was mentally ready; I had read a lot about people thinking negatively after surgery and I had just been thinking- no not me! But it's tougher on our minds than we realize I think. As long as we surround ourselves with positive and supportive people, I think we will be okay through this early adjustment period! We did the right thing for us!!!

keep us posted and sending a prayer your way...