Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Should I Be Burning

To increase my weight loss each week?

It's just not as simple as that ... sorry.

Your body is an amazing machine which is going to try its hardest to keep fat reserves. After all, it has been keeping them for years (assuming, like me, you have been obese for years). It is going to try its hardest to not give it up. Starvation mode they call it and if your body is functioning properly, it is not going to give it up easily ... not without a fight.

So, we have all heard that 3,500 calories = 1 pound. This is a general guideline. So, if you burn 3,500 more calories than you take in, you lose 1 pound. Consume 3,500 calories more than you burn, you gain a pound. Again, know that your body is going to work against you, though.

Notice that I do not say 1 pound of fat. Your body will choose what is easiest to convert at that time, fat or muscle. So, this is one of the reasons why maintaining an exercise routine and getting your Protein in is sooo important. I thought I did a pretty good job with Protein after about a month post op. I was exercising like crazy, but I still lost a lot of muscle. I lost a lot of fat, too, though, and I am getting my muscle back, but it is work, for sure.

So, there you have it. 3,500 calories is the number.

Also, if you are on the eliptical machine (stair stepper, treadmill ...) and it says you burned 500 calories during your workout, know that you most likely did not actually burn 500 calories. These counters are notoriously off on the high side. Google it if you think I am lying. All I am saying is don't make a spreadsheet with your daily intake/expendature and *calculate* what your weight will be in a month based on what the exercise machines tell you. I guarantee they lie.

You ain't kidding they lie. I use MapMyRide and it told me I burned 1590 calories on a 90 minute bike ride. How I wish it were true.

I noticed that MapMy anything (run, ride, etc.) is way off in regards to distance too. I have had lots of luck with the Nike + gps app though. It's pretty accurate and it can be calibrated.

I use a heart rate monitor to try to get a better estimate of calories burned, since it's based on my personal effort, rather than a statistical average. That said, I still tried to live by the rule of thumb that if you're going to eat your workout calories, you should eat no more than half. (So, if you normally aim for 800 a day, and you burn 600 in a workout, half that is 300 + your normal 800 = maximum net 1100 calories for the day.

Personally, I never thought it was wise to get down to really low net numbers, I think it begins to impact your metabolism which is counterproductive. Since I never hit a stall, I'd say that worked for me, but maybe I was just lucky.

Thanks guys!!