Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time between fills?

I'd like to know this as well...and does anyone know if the saline seeps out or why, when you get a fill, doesn't it stay feeling like it does right after you get it?

Other questions I have: When the doctor says your band holds X number of cc's, does that mean that is the maximum Fluid you can have in the band, or is that the magic number that technically closes the stoma? I had a fill on Aug. 17th and I go again next Friday for a check up. I had 3cc's in my 4cc max band. I don't feel like I have the restriction I should have...should I be able to get one more fill? Does anyone here have the full 4cc's in their 4cc maximum band?

Ericsmom- I have posted this before but I will cut and paste it here for you too. We seem to have the same questions.

I have a 10 cm band. Which apparently is different from the 10cc band. When I asked my doc what the difference was, he said a 10cc vanguard band could hold 10cc (doy!) and the 10cm band could hold 4cc. But it is not uncommon for them to put 5cc's in the 4 cc band. When I asked him if that made it close to popping he laughed and said no. Why don't they just call it a 5cc band then? Sheesh people, and you went to medical school???? (just teasing if you are reading this doc watson! lol)

progress.gif

Most MD's want you to wait at least 2 weeks before getting a second fill. When you get a fill, there can be some swelling and occasionally it can take up to two weeks before you feel restriction. Some people swell at the time the fill is given and experience less restriction as the swelling subsides.

In general, 4 weeks between fills seems to be the average.

My surgeon requires that we wait 4 weeks between fills. As you will read in a lot of posts, many people's fills don't even kick in sometimes until 3 or 4 weeks later. If they were to go get more fill at two weeks, and that were the case, they would be at risk of being severely overfilled. I don't think that is anything I would want to experience.

I go for another check up next Friday, which will be another 4 weeks since my fill, so I'll ask him and see what he thinks. Thanks for the tips :D

Dr. Curry is my doctor and after my first fill he said wait 2 weeks and I did and 2 weeks later I got my second fill putting me at 2.25. Restriction has been great but my weight loss has really slowed down, sounds crazy to me.

So 2 weeks, from 1st to 2nd fill and after my second he said give it one month so I'm 2 weeks away from another fill.

I think it just depends on your doctor. My doc wanted to wait six weeks after surgery and then only gave me .5 cc fill. Needless to say, I feel very little restriction and have not lost any weight since the fill. I don't see him again until Oct. 16, so I'm going to wait it out.

My surgeon also likes to keep at least 4 weeks between fills.

I had m first fill on September 9th and have 2nd booked for October 14th. No restriction as of yet but I know there will be, it just takes time.

Laura

My doctor didn't specify any particular time...I was given the driver's seat on this. My fill amounts and dates of fills are listed in my signature, so you can see how slow I went.

As I was getting through my first year, I became aware of problems some bandsters experienced when they rushed their fills and started having all the problems that come with being overfilled. I did not want that. I may be on the overcautious side.

My message to you is to decide for yourself what risks you are willing to take, and what pace you are comfortable with. It is an individual thing.

For my first fill I had to wait 6 weeks after surgery. However, since then I've been having them at about 2 week intervals, because I didn't feel any restriction and wasn't losing any more weight. Generally, my doctor likes to wait 4 to 6 weeks between fills, but didn't object to my having them more frequently when it was clear that I wasn't losing weight.

This past Monday I had my 5th fill since the surgery on May 24th (see signature). I may finally have the "proper" restriction, in that I fill up quickly when eating solid food. And if I try to eat past the point of feeling full, I go straight to PBs and that awful sliming.

Still getting used to this restriction and making mistakes, such as not chewing well enough, taking my Vitamins too quickly and they get jammed up, etc.

But at least there's finally some significant restriction!

So now we'll see what happens...

My surgeon requires that we wait 4 weeks between fills. As you will read in a lot of posts, many people's fills don't even kick in sometimes until 3 or 4 weeks later. If they were to go get more fill at two weeks, and that were the case, they would be at risk of being severely overfilled. I don't think that is anything I would want to experience.

I read this the other day and it really seems to be true for me. What I find almost funny is the day to day differences, hormones, stress, exercise or no exercise, the weather....for me I think all these things make my band feel different on a daily basis.

I like the idea of not racing through weight loss and if despite following all the rules one is not losing 1-2 pounds a week, then a fill may be required.

I am so greatful for this site....

hugs to all

I posted this on the July thread, too:

I went to the doctor today and got a second fill. Boy, was it a traumatic thing, though! Nothing like last time! I guess when you lose weight things shift around and even though my port is sewn in, it had shifted, so the doctor couldn't, for the life of him, find the spot to get the needle in. He stuck me 4 times with number stuff and 7 times (yes, you read that right) with the needle trying to find the port access. :omg: When he finally got in, he put another 2.5 cc's in. I guess I have the VG band that holds 10cc's, so now I have 5.5cc's. I am going to look like he sucker punched me in a day or two. You should see all the poke marks on me! :puke: The physician's assistant who does the follow up care and fills felt so bad. I told him not to beat himself up over it and it was fine.

My surgeon was in his office when I walked into my exam room. I asked the nurse to tell him to stop in and say hello. He not only came in and said hello, he sat down and asked me a bunch of questions about how it's going and how I'm feeling. So essentially he had an appt. with me, but it wasn't scheduled. I told him about this site and FitDay. He wrote them down. I also showed off my "I'm with the band" Bracelet. He thought that was pretty cool. Can you tell I love my surgeon??:bolt: