Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is losing 8 pounds in one month good? I feel like I should be losing more... I'm only a month and a half post op.

The first few weeks post-op you're battling water-gain from the surgery, massive inflammation in your stomach and the shock to your system from the general anaesthetic, surgery, etc.

Once you've started recovering from all of that, your body suddenly says "hey.....where did all the food go? Are we starving here? Is there a famine? Might be....so I better hold on to everything I get until things look more plentiful!".

It also depends on what your pre-op BMI is. The higher the number, the faster people tend to lose in the beginning. And then it tapers off as you get closer to your goal. The primary reason is the calorie difference between what your body needs to survive each day (basal metabolic rate or BMR) and what you're eating. BMR is based on the number of calories you would burn if you stayed in bed all day and did nothing at all.

For example.

240 lb woman (age 40) 5'6" tall

BMI = 38.7

BMR = 1821 calories

Daily calorie intake = 600 calories

Difference = 1221 calories = 0.35 lbs weight loss per day (under ideal conditions)

Approx. monthly loss = 10.5 lbs

340 lb woman (age 40) 5'6" tall

BMI = 54.9

BMR = 2256 calories

Daily calorie intake = 600 calories

Difference = 1656 calories = 0.48 lbs weight loss per day (under ideal conditions)

Approx. monthly loss = 14.4 lbs

As we lose weight, our BMR drops and our calorie deficit decreases, making it harder and harder to lose weight strictly with our eating. As you get closer to your goal, it gets harder and harder to lose those last few pounds!

That is why exercise is a critical component of any weight loss program. It not only helps maintain muscle mass, but it also increases our daily calorie deficit and increases or maintain our loss over the course of our journey.

Great information really puts it in perspective. Thanks!'

That's 8 pounds you will never have to see again =) You're doing well, yes. Congrats on the loss!