Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

looking for a doctor in Edmonton or Calgary

I need to find a doctor to do the surgery but that will let my doctor here in Whitehorse do the fill? i know the clinic in Toronto will let my doctor do the fill but its pretty far then the one in Vancouver DR Wai leung wont let anyone else but him to do the fill. can anyone help me

thank you andrea

You know, I don't think he really has any say in who does the fills. But then you might be making him mad for if/when you have any problems... if you were to go elsewhere for fills.

There's a few dr's in Calgary(all working together, I believe), a couple in Edmonton (but I think those ones you can't pay to go to). Someone else will tell you the names of the Calgary guys, I'm sure.. cause I'm in a rush and don't have time right now.

Good luck.

Its not that i want to go some where else for the fill, I live up in the Yukon. so for me to get out of this town its $800 for a plane ride to Vancouver or Edmonton Or Calgary or i can drive for 21 hours to get to Edmonton or 32 hours to get to Vancouver so like you can see i need help.

But I don't get... why not go to Dr. Leung then?

You want a closer Dr. (like in Alberta or BC) that will let your own family Dr. do your fills?

hi i call him and he wont let anyone else do the fill so i would have to fly to Vancouver. and the lady told me it wont be warranty if someone else touch it. So far the only place i found is Toronto that they will let my family doctor here do the fill.

Ok, so... the number for Dr. Mitchell in Calgary is:

403-264-6720

Give that number a call, tell them you live in the Yukon, and want the lapband, and are wondering if you can pay for it privately, or if it's only available through Alberta Health. I don't know that you can pay for the lapband in Alberta, or if they're only doing people who are 'covered'.

Please let us know what they say!

thank you so much i just call and the lady said she going to get someone to call me back she didn't know to much but she did say they have patient out of the province. I do understand that i have to pay for it myself and thats fine, now i just need to win the 649 :girl_hug: Yukon health care dont cover any surgery like that.

thank you again

andree

Yeah, there's only a couple provinces that cover anything for the lapband. 99% of us are in the same boat as you, paying for it ourselves, however we can!

Congrats, I hope you hear back from the lady soon!

OK so the lady call me today and i guess the doctor only those 25 surgery a year, and his need to get approval from the minister to do out of province surgery and they are working on that, so that good. she was not sure on the price i should really send a letter to my health minister and i think they should pay for some of the surgery anything would help i figure it would cost more to see the doctor here then what the surgery will cost in the long run.

Interesting... I didn't think that if you were paying yourself you'd still have to wait. You'll be looking at a long wait, I'm sure. Now that people are finding out that the lapband is covered in Alberta, LOTS of people are getting in on it.

You may be in for a lot of hassle just to find out that your province or territory won't cover any of it. You should call Yukon Health, or whatever you call it, and talk to someone personally, just inquiring about whether they cover some or all of it.

I did that when I was in SK, and was given a definite NO!

I did go to the Yukon health a couple months ago, but they told me it was plastic surgery so it's not cover. I'm going to pay for it when i get it done next year, worst come to worst i will have to go to Toronto never been there so that would be nice. we were going to go to Australia but this is better if i could lose lb i would be happy to go back to Aussie land.