Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doc Wants Dietitian Consult

My mother-in-law is in the process of getting sleeved. She should be scheduled for surgery in late September/early October.

As part of the requirements, she has to have 6 months of consults with her regular doctor. At her last appointment, the regular doctor told my mil that she wanted my mil to see a dietitian for a consult.

Personally, I think this is a waste of money and time. The dietitian she will be meeting with is not associated with a WLS practice. My mil already has appointments to meet with a nutritionist through her surgeon's office to deal strictly with the pre and post surgery diets.

My MIL is going through with the dietitian consult. I hope the dietitian ends up being knowledgeable about WLS diets. It just seems like my mil's regular doctor isn't up-to-date on what is going on, and she should be. I also know that the insurance-documentation of the monthly consults that were filled out by her doctor had to be redone because the doctor didn't fill them out correctly.

Oh no!!! I think she should check into that. I believe this is a waste of time as well. Tell her to call her insurance company to see if they require all that excessiveness. If not, question the doctor's rationale regarding this. Personally, I find that to be quite ridiculous. But I'm no M.D. so who am I? *shrugs*!! Hehehe.

Does her regular doctor know that she's already seeing a nutritionist associated with the clinic she is having the surgery through? It might be worth just making sure that she knows your mother is already having nutritional consultations.

If she does know and still makes your mother do the dietitian appointment, I agree with TinaMari, question the doctor's rationale. Let her know that you do not want to spend money for something that it repetitive and you're already required to pay for.

Worst case scenario, if it does turn out to be a waste of time, at least it was only one consult. Maybe have a talk with your mom and see what the dietitian said and see how it relates to what the nutritionist has said. That way you can be sure your mom will be following the healthiest instructions.

The doctor is aware of her going to the nutritionist and still wants her to see the dietitian.

I think it is a case where her doctor doesn't really want her to have the weight-loss surgery. The referral for WLS actually came from her cardiologist.

I'm just concerned that her doctor will fail to do something that she needs done to get approved for surgery.