Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2Nd Surgery And Still No Sleeve!

I just had my second surgery to get the sleeve and again I woke up to find out that I did not get it. I was a lapband patient for 5 years and this past February I decided to revise to the sleeve. I went to Mexico for the revision. They removed the band and said that there was too much scar tissue to go ahead with the sleeve. I had to come home and heal for 5 months and come back to finish the sleeve procedure. So I went back this past Saturday to finish what I started. I asked the Dr. before the surgery if there was any chance of me waking up without the sleeve this time....he said "not a chance". Well I woke up and asked the nurse if I got the sleeve. She said "Yes"! Dr. came in that afternoon and said NO I did not get it! I was devastated!! He said that the scar tissue had connected the upper lobe of my liver to my stomach and he couldn't find a safe place to cut, so he didn't! After coming home to Houston I contacted a Bariatric Dr. here and have an appt on 8/13 and hope that he will be able to help me. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Now I will be out double the $$. I have no insurance coverage. Please let me know....I'm desperate!! Thanks Kelly Ann

Kelly Ann, I don't have any advise to offer but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry! I can't imagine how devastated you are. Sending you great big hugs and hoping you find a solution soon.

I'm so sorry to hear this is happening to you, but sometimes we must be persistent w what we want the most. For instance, I've been seeking wls since 2004 and been denied by 3 major hospitals and over 9 surgeons in NYC and finally June 2011 I had my sleeve done..... Guess my sorry is; don't quit.

Oh MY! Unfortunately this has not happened to me or anyone I know. I just wanted to send my support. I hope everything turns out well when you go see the new Dr. Good Luck!

Be thankful though, in that if your surgeon was not confident in his ability to make it work and had tried anyway, disaster would have followed. Perhaps your new surgeon will have more experience with revisions. Good luck!

I know it's hard to see now, and maybe will be for a long time, but if your scar tissue has connected to your liver and your surgeon was not confident with the procedure, it is VERY VERY good that he did not continue. If I were you I would try and get the records of the procedure and send them to any doctor you are thinking of having the sleeve at so that you can make sure you find a surgeon who is confident and prepared as much as possible for the surgery.

I am so sorry that this has been so awful for you. I have heard so many stories of all the problems that lapband has caused for people...It's really not fair that you have had so many tries to get this right and it just hasn't worked out. Keep faith that when it's the right time, it will happen. You want it done by a surgeon who knows what he's doing.

It probably is a blessing he didn't go ahead with it. Dr. Alvarez refused me surgery when I told him that my spleen had been removed 30 years ago. Called me "high risk" (for bleeding) even though I've had other surgeries with absolutely no problems. He wants only the lowest possible risk patients so his complication rate numbers don't go up. I refer to him as one of the "cherry pickers" (Dr.'s who are so over run with patients because of internet and TV advertising that they can pick and choose to take only the best possible candidates. I've been refused by two cherry pickers. He really shouldn't be keeping all of your money since he didn't actually perform the procedure. And for those who just LOVE Dr. Alvarez (and there are many !), I'm happy for you, and I know his patients are very loyal, but this is my opinion and I'm entitled to it, so please resist the tempation to jump to his defense. You were fortunate that he thought you were low risk enough to do your surgery. My best advice, and after running the logic,what I have done, is to seek a surgeon who is major hospital or university based and gets most of their patients via referrals from their colleagues, not advertising dollars. They have more training and resources and are better equipped to handle more than just the best case scenario patient. They don't need to advertise to keep their schedule booked nor do they do a dozen surgeries a day. I am self pay also, so I know the cost is significantly more in the States, but this is your life we're talking about... I'll let you know if I get refused again after my consult on Aug. 8th.

P.S. I'm near Ft. Worth and my potential surgeon is 3 hours east. A little far from home, but a great price and great credentials :}

Hey Liz, I absolutely agree with everything you just said. I feel way more confident in my new surgeon!