Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you see your doc to discuss issues and fills

i know that getting the fill exactly right is the key to great restriction and a great band experience.

how often do you/can you go to your docs to adjust fills and discuss fill problems?

thanks.

I think it depends on the individual person and their doctor. I saw my doctor quite a bit in the first few weeks after banding. When I had my first fill, he told me to keep him posted on how it went. He requires that we wait 4 weeks between fills. So, basically, if and when I feel the need for a fill, I contact him. When I go for my appointment, I tell him how I am feeling, whether or not I am experiencing hunger, how long between meals before I get hungry, how much I am able to eat at one time, etc. He also weighs me to look at how much weekly weight loss I am averaging. After taking everything into consideration, he decides if he is going to let me have a fill and how much.

I actually only discussed this my surgeon one time, on my one week follow-up...after that, his fill technician is the one I talk to about this. This arrangement is working out very well for me.

after the first post-op visit, you see PA's for fills. I go every six weeks for a weigh-in and that's when they ask questions, I ask questions and the decision is made as to whether or not I need a fill and how much.

I went to my surgeon every 4 weeks for the first 6 months, then every 8 weeks for the next 6 months, and now I see him every three months.

I saw my surgeon 2 weeks after surgery, then six weeks for my first adjustment/fill.

He gave me his card and told me to ring him anytime...... morning,noon or night if I needed to see him (pretty amazing as it also has his mobile(cell) number on it).....now that's service.:rolleyes:

I see my Dr. every month but if I have at least 1/2 lb a week loss then I can go for 6 weeks. My Dr. does the fills and I've been adjusted 4 times but 1 time I was over filled by about 1 cc and was completely miserable. I couldn't even take a full drink of Water at one time without throwing up. Not to mention food.! I was filled on a Thursday and couldn't call the office until Monday. Since I live 2.5 hours away I couldn't get in til Tuesday. I lost 7lb the hard way! I have the 10 cc band and I am at 7 cc filled. I think this is going to be the "sweet spot".

My doctor after the first fill said I could have the 2nd fill in 2 weeks because I live 4 to 5 hours each way and I always stay over in a hotel in case I'm too tight he can take some out the next day before I make the long drive. After my 2nd fill he told me I would be ready for another in a month which is next week. Dr. Curry does my fills though, no one else in his office has ever done mine and I like him doing mine.

I see my Dr. every month but if I have at least 1/2 lb a week loss then I can go for 6 weeks. My Dr. does the fills and I've been adjusted 4 times but 1 time I was over filled by about 1 cc and was completely miserable. I couldn't even take a full drink of Water at one time without throwing up. Not to mention food.! I was filled on a Thursday and couldn't call the office until Monday. Since I live 2.5 hours away I couldn't get in til Tuesday. I lost 7lb the hard way! I have the 10 cc band and I am at 7 cc filled. I think this is going to be the "sweet spot".

OMG, Cathy, that's awful. Did the Doctor have you drink water immediately after the fill? And, if so, how long after you left the Doc's office did your body signal you were overfilled?

My doctor after the first fill said I could have the 2nd fill in 2 weeks because I live 4 to 5 hours each way and I always stay over in a hotel in case I'm too tight he can take some out the next day before I make the long drive. After my 2nd fill he told me I would be ready for another in a month which is next week. Dr. Curry does my fills though, no one else in his office has ever done mine and I like him doing mine.

mysherrijo,

That a great idea to stay overnight when you live so far away. Have you ever been overfilled? And, did the Doc charge for the unfill?