Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded

Hi everyone. I was banded 9/6/06. I have been doing okay. I was just hoping that I would be doing better. Today is post op day 3.

Post op day 1, I was so nausated. I had to take 2 50mg Phenergan supp.

Post op day 2, I was in so much pain. The doctor put my port right under my left breast. I am having terrible pain from it. I have used a ice pack and it helps some. I wished he had put it lower. I know I won't be able to wear a bra for a while.

Today is a little better. Right now I need a pain pill. I am walking 5min every 2 hours per instructions. What I am not doing is drinking or taking enough Protein. My stomach feels funny so I am scared to put anything on it. Last night I slept on my right side for half the night and the other half in the recliner. I am so tired of the recliner.

I thought I was gonna be able to go back to work on Monday but it doesn't seem like that will happen. This port pain is terrible. My mom says this guy at the surgery center says he went fishing the next day after surgery. I barely could move on post op day 2. I know everyone is different. I think if the doctor had put the port lower I would be feeling better. My big left breast keeps pressing on my port. Most of the time I am walking around holding my left breast or I have a pillow under it to keep it off the port. :angry

You're doing great! Your experience thus far sounds totally normal. I felt terrible for the first few days but it gradually got better. I went back to work 10 days after surgery but could have gone back at approx. 5 or so. Please have faith that you'll feel better every day - even your uncomfortable port. Mine is in my sternum area and my bra strap goes right over it. I avoided my bra for a week or so but it slowly felt better. Good luck!

Marie

I am walking 5min every 2 hours per instructions. What I am not doing is drinking or taking enough Protein. My stomach feels funny so I am scared to put anything on it. Last night I slept on my right side for half the night and the other half in the recliner. I am so tired of the recliner.

Good for you - on the walking! Thats a big thing for new bandsters to do.

Have you talked to your surgeons office about the nausea? Im scared to think that the lack of fluids could cause other issues (dehydration). Be careful!

Congrat's on the banding!

Thanks gilbert and paula for replying. I am trying to do better with the fluids. It is just hard right now. My stomach has a lot of gas and I don't want to over do it. The nauseaness is gone now. I just need to focus on getting better and getting my fluids in.

I wouldn't worry about Proteins this early on either. As your stomach is still healing and may have a hard time digesting Protein.

My stomach feels funny so I am scared to put anything on it.

I would continuously sip something to drink, no matter what your mind is telling you about your stomach. Fluids are the most important substance for you right now. All of your organs need fluids not just your stomach.

I felt the Dr. put my port too high also, even after I had a lengthy discussion to have it lower. When he didn't do it, I got to thinking........even though my stomach and breasts are overlapping now. In the near future they won't be, so the higher up the port, the more discrete it will be.

The reason why your port incision hurts so much is because they actually attach the port to the muscle wall. I suggest keep taking your pain medicine or liquid tylenol when it becomes unbearrable. I have been back to work for 4 days now and I have to take my pain med in the afternoon because the irritation of my boobs on my port in addition to the desk and conference room tables being the perfect height to continuously irritate my already sore port, starts to get unbearrable as the day goes on.

My 4th and 5th days were the worst, however on day 6, it was amazing how much better I felt.

All in all, it sounds like everything is normal. Knowing that the pain is only temporary really helped me to cope with it. That and sleeping as much as I could. I wasn't awake enough to really realize I was in as much pain as I was.

You are doing great!