Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Made The Decision To Go From Band To Sleeve!

This whole thing started when I went to see my doctor hoping that he would prescribe me weight loss pills. I had been trying to lose weight hard core for almost a year and little to nothing happened. I gave up wheat, was eating 1400 calories or less, was lifting and running...and getting now where. He shocked me when my doctor suggested WLS, but I jumped on it. At first I was all about the band, my husband thought it was the best fit for me; Less invasive, faster recover,y not permanent,...ect...but then I did more research and the idea of having going through ANOTHER procedure, like so many banders, down the road was a deal breaker for me. If I'm gonna do this then I might as well jump in head first,right? After all with greater risk comes greater reward right?

SO, here I am. I have spent countless hours researching about the band and while the sleeve is similar it is not the same. I have to shift gears and get my information in for this surgery. I am almost complete with my pre-op stuff and my doctor says I should be approved and scheduled for September. Thanks for this outlet of support I will begin flooding this forum with questions soon! ;-)

You and are sisters! I have the SAME exact experience. I thought for sure the lap band was the way for me, but then after attending a seminar and reading people's complications I am just not willing to go there. I too have decided the sleeve is the only way for me. Also, I am not into re-routing the plumbing - no way!!

I understand that is permanent but I assure you "I permanently don't want to gain the weight back!" I need that permanent solution.

I too am looking at having surgery in September or early October.

Here's wishing you all the best! I look forward to following your progress. :)

Thanks for sharing! I look forward to following your progress too! I am nervous now about the extent of the the post op issues but I know that it will be worth it!

I can tell you that you are making the right decision to get the sleeve as opposed to the band. I am an uphappy bandster and I am converting to the sleeve on October 1st. I went with the band originally because it was less invasive, lower risk, etc. But here I am two years later going through another surgery.

A brief history: I got my band in August 2010, having several fills and unfills, and never finding the "sweet spot". I could either eat all I wanted or I could eat nothing at all. I went in for a fill with the hopes of asking my dr for appetite suppressants because I was always hungry. He then told me because I hadn't lost any weight with the band in 2yrs, I was a good candidate for the sleeve. Oh how I wish I would have chosen the VSG in the first place!!

Awe that is so tough! Thanks for your support and encouragement! Just remember that we can't change the past all we can do is move forward, there is a reason that this was your process! Good luck!