Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

fills do they hurt

Guest csmith1612

Guest csmith1612

I was banded May 27th and can get my first fill in 6 weeks. I can probably eat about 1/2 of what I used to but I still think that is too much. I am kind of nervous about the fill. Does it hurt? Does the doctor numb the area. Is the need huge? My doctor does it with the xray thing maybe called a floroscope I think. The area where my port is located is the only place that has really bothered me and it is still tender at three weeks past surgery. The other cuts are not tender at all. Is this normal? I went to work yesterday and someone I don't know very well commented that I was losing weight (9 lbs so far). I was thrilled. Thanks Connie

Hi Connie,

Welcome and congratulations on your banding! The good news is that fills do not hurt at all, though there have been stories of inexperienced doctors or technicians having a hard time here and there.

From what I hear, most doctors do numb the area before inserting the needle. I know mine does, and I can't feel the needle at all. I am also happy to say that I can't even see the needle, since I'm lying down and it's easy to avert my eyes. Seeing it would make the whole experience way worse, IMO.

Once the needle is in, the process takes only a few minutes. You'll be glad to have the fluoroscope to reassure yourself that everything is in place, and it's really cool to see the difference your band makes in how liquid goes down. Quite an education!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes! :) :)

Guest csmith1612

thanks for the info. Makes me feel better. Connie

Hi Connie

My Doctor does not numb thearea, he does it under fluoro so he can locate the port quickly and he takes one quick poke and he is in ...the most painful part to me was when he extracted the air from the tubing, it feels like alot of pressure on your chest, my doctor only does this procedure for the first fill though. Drinking the barium does not hurt but tastes yucky! The needle my doctor uses is big! It doesnt hurt at all , for me it was just about 2 minutes of uncomfortableness other then that is is a piece of cake! You'll do great!

I had the same concerns as you do, I had my first fill last week

Michelle

Dr. Ortiz

I had my 1st fill yesterday and it felt like a beesting and then I didn't feel the other needle that they use for the fill.

I had my first fill yesterday and it was unpleasant. The surgeon did it in his office, he couldnt find the port so it took several attempts (five ) to find it finally so it did hurt each time he tried he had to numb it again. He was very apologetic and nice about it but it did hurt more than I thought it would. I asked him if I could bring a camera with me and he asked me why? I said so the next time some idiot says geez must be nice to have that surgery and lose weight instead of doing it the hard way...I can show them a photo of me with the needle sticking out inside my port! Just my two cents.

I don't like the bee sting of the numbing part. It hurts when he moves the needle abit to center over the port. But, once it's in place it's fine.

Guest Connie H

:ermm I Want To Get The Band If I Can Find A Very Good Doctor Here In Arkansas Can Any Body Tell Me Of A Good Doctor

What's the name of that spray? I got my first fill today and almost passed out. I was expecting this topical solution, felt the alcohol swab, thought, humm that must be the topical stuff, NOT. Then he says, ok this will feel like a bee sting, just what I wanted to hear, then I get attacked by killer bees, and this burning starts. I asked how many bees, then that passed and I started getting this nasty taste in my mouth which made me sick to my stomach, then I started getting hot and clammy. Then they started fanning me, I felt like such a wuss. Then he did the fill. After I got my color back, I sat up and sipped some Water, then I was ok.

BUT, I do want the name of that spray. The doctor said there was something you rub on, but it took 1/2 hr for it to take effect and it didn't work all that well. Needless to say, I will be telling him about this spray stuff.

FYI, he started me with .75. I have had liquids tonight, but feel absolutely no difference than yesterday or before the fill. I expected to be super tight.

Pat, I'm so sorry! Sounds like you were on the verge of fainting. Hopefully, the next time will be a more positive experience. My dr. doesn't deaden. One quick push and it's in.

There is a cream you can put on your port area before your fill..it is called Emla Cream. My son used it on his port before all of his cheno treatments. It worked well for him. It kind of numbs the area, we would put it on about an hour before they accessed his port to make sureit was nice and numb.

My friend Debbie who was banded right after me gets her first fill next week. She's going to ask the doctor to prescribe either the spray or the cream to us and we'll put it on before we get there so he doesn't have to wait.

Good luck with your fill Kelly.

Debbie looked the cream up on the internet and it was around $40.00, does that sound right Michelle? Is it over the counter or a script?