Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is The Sleeve For Me?

Hello everyone! I have been researching for a few weeks now, and I'm very interested in getting the sleeve. I don't have insurance so I'm planning on saving up and getting it done in Mexico more than likely. My worries are the after care. If I get it what all follow up care would be required? With me not having insurance I won't be able to afford a lot of maintenance. Not only that, but what if complications occur and I get a leak or something? Would most doctors here in the US turn me away because I'm not their patient? Also, I have acid reflux already and I'm worried that if I go through with the surgery it may make it even worse... I know that I'm probably being a worry wart, but I would like other opinions. :)

Who is your doctor now? Or where do you get your medical care at? Even if it is a local clinic...Perhaps a call to find out about your questions. You will need blood work done a few times, someone to look at your stitches....and a place to go in case you have an emergency. Does your Doc in Mexico take advice calls after surgery? Make sure they have a really good plan written down for you, and don't leave you hanging without enough info to follow successful practices.

Do you not have insurance because you can't get coverage? If so, I would encourage you to look into PCIP. It's the pre-existing health insurance that was put in place in 2010. I was without insurance for ten years since I work for a small company that didn't offer a plan. After a gallbladder attack, I tried to secure individual insurance but was denied because of my weight.

You can get this insurance if you live in a participating state, have a pre-existing health condition or have been turned down for insurance and have been without coverage for at least six months. It's age rated. I'm 51 and pay $306 a month. You seem much younger so your premium will reflect that. The plan I chose has a $2,000 deductible and a $4,000 out of pocket maximum and yes, it covers the sleeve. I had my gallbladder removed in February so that and a couple of other procedures met my deductible. I have been able to get my septum corrected and am scheduled to be sleeved in three weeks, all at no additional cost.

They do require a six month monitored diet and either a BMI of 40+ or 35 with two co-morbidities.

Good luck!

Hello everyone! I have been researching for a few weeks now' date=' and I'm very interested in getting the sleeve. I don't have insurance so I'm planning on saving up and getting it done in Mexico more than likely. My worries are the after care. If I get it what all follow up care would be required? With me not having insurance I won't be able to afford a lot of maintenance. Not only that, but what if complications occur and I get a leak or something? Would most doctors here in the US turn me away because I'm not their patient? Also, I have acid reflux already and I'm worried that if I go through with the surgery it may make it even worse... I know that I'm probably being a worry wart, but I would like other opinions. :)[/quote']

I work for an insurance carrier & they don't cover surgeries or complications done electively in other countries. I highly recommend you call your current insurance carrier to confirm. And this does NOT fall under a 'pre-existing condition' which applies to new insurance coverage.

IMHO, I would rather pay a few thousand more & have it done here where at least you know what government laws apply.