Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eat What You Want In Moderation Or No?

I am a firm believer of everything in moderation. I have failed too many diets because I would deprive myself of something I wanted, then couldn't stand it anymore and would binge like crazy. I got the sleeve because I want to eat like "normal people". If "normal people" want chips, they have a few and are satisfied. That is what I do now too, as opposed to eating a whole bag like I used to do. My partner is a nutritionist and he is a firm believer of this too. It is a matter of living a healthier lifestyle, making healthier choices and when you want a treat, have it, enjoy it, don't over indulge and don't beat yourself up over it. If any of you look at my diary on my fitness pal you will see, I eat like a "normal person". If I want ice cream, I have it, but I do go with the low fat kind now and about half a cup is all I need. And yes, on the weekends I will partake of an adult beverage or two as well. Now that I have my back problems somewhat under control, have recovered from the weight gain as a result of not being able to move much and it has been a while since my steroid injections, I am back losing a healthy two pounds a week and beyond happy with that. I feel good, I have great energy, a great man in my life and am happy, exactly what I had hoped for.

Sent from my iPad using VST

What is pcos?

Polycystic ovarian syndrome

I basically eat what I want in moderation and Protein first.

I eat what i want in moderation.. but mainly stick to Protein first. But if i don't allow myself to have some of the things i want, it will make me want it that much more. Eating bad was never a problem for me.. just eating to much. Having pcos really halted my weight loss, no matter how hard i tried.

That's me! Pre sleeve, I would fix dinner and have too much meat and veggies,,whatever I ate it was more about volume than what I ate.

Thanks, everyone! Such good advice from everyone..so very helpful.

Thank you for addressing this! I'm only 5 weeks out so I haven't had a ton of different foods but I know I didn't have this surgery to diet the rest of my life. Yes, I want to change my way of eating but that is a lifestyle change. My NUT, who is a bander herself and lost 220 lbs, is very realistic about indulgences and treats. I like this way of thinking. It helped me be successful and lose 65 lbs BEFORE surgery! I didn't beat myself up over every wrong choice. I just made sure the next one was a right one.

I may not have gotten this surgery if someone would have told me I could never have pizza, chinese food, french fries, beer, etc ever again. Granted, it's going to be few and far between and my tastes will hopefully change over time but I don't want to feel deprived if I hold out or guilty if I give in, because that just leads to being unhappy.

I feel like so many people on this site condemn those who make a wrong decision in their diet. I don't like the holier-than-thou viewpoints and judgment that gets passed along. We are all battling and struggling and HUMAN! It makes me almost scared to post a question because I'm afraid of the negative opinions I'm going to get. I've been FAT for 28 years, I'm not going to change overnight. Harsh criticism isn't going to help that.

Thank you for addressing this! I'm only 5 weeks out so I haven't had a ton of different foods but I know I didn't have this surgery to diet the rest of my life. Yes' date=' I want to change my way of eating but that is a lifestyle change. My NUT, who is a bander herself and lost 220 lbs, is very realistic about indulgences and treats. I like this way of thinking. It helped me be successful and lose 65 lbs BEFORE surgery! I didn't beat myself up over every wrong choice. I just made sure the next one was a right one.

I may not have gotten this surgery if someone would have told me I could never have pizza, chinese food, french fries, beer, etc ever again. Granted, it's going to be few and far between and my tastes will hopefully change over time but I don't want to feel deprived if I hold out or guilty if I give in, because that just leads to being unhappy.

I feel like so many people on this site condemn those who make a wrong decision in their diet. I don't like the holier-than-thou viewpoints and judgment that gets passed along. We are all battling and struggling and HUMAN! It makes me almost scared to post a question because I'm afraid of the negative opinions I'm going to get. I've been FAT for 28 years, I'm not going to change overnight. Harsh criticism isn't going to help that.[/quote']

You couldn't have said it better! :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using VST

I'm only a month out, so I strictly follow the eating plan, moving through the stages. Eventually I think I'll allow myself to have small treats here and there.

Also, for anyone with ice cream cravings, try Yo Nanas. It turns frozen fruit unto ice cream like consistency and is yummy. It only uses the fruit, with no added ingredients.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I eat what I want in moderation. With that said, If I am craving something, I take a bite. I don't eat the entire thing, just a bite or two usually does it. I don't eat breads anymore but that is something I know is a ” trigger” for me. I loved breads. Ate bread with every meal. Now yes I will take a few bites of pizza or have a half piece of wheat with my egg ON OCCASION, but not daily and it is not even monthly and if I didn't take a bite of something I would be living on a diet and go nuts and eat so much of it I would be sick. I chose healthier options like sugar free fat free yogurt instead of a hot fudge sundae and I get the smallest or kids size when I want ice cream.

Michelle xo

I am 27 pounds away from my goal weight of 110. For the first 4 months I didn't eat junk except maybe a bite of something once a week or two. The last 3 weeks I have let myself eat a little more of the bad stuff and the weight loss has slowed drastically so this week I went back to less junk. It made me realize that for me the junk food is convenient and not really that tasty to me. I am not missing it.