Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie...dr Tomorrow...not Sure How To Approach The Dr About Revision

Hello!!

I had the lapband done in April of 2008. Starting weight 263, lowest weight 199 and current weight is 256. I have had numerous fills and unfills...atleast 5 total unfils. In April I had a total unfil, dr thought it was a slipped band and two weeks ago I had a my second fill and band is back to being inconsistant. I have always had hit or miss days....some days I can eat and some days I can't.I vomit alot due to food getting stuck. It's so frustrating and I am honestly sick of this lapband! I have had upper GI's(last one a year ago) in the past and supposedly everything is on the up and up. I have to wonder what all the vomitting has done to my body!

So my question is...I am going in to my dr tomorrow, How do I suggest this revision to sleeve? Do I just come out and say I'm done with this band? I'm afraid of my Dr thinking I am giving up too easily...even though I think 4 years of constant issues and about 30 plus fills and unfills, daily vomitting is enough!!

Also, one other question what is the difference between an upper GI and an endoscopy and should I be requesting these?

thanks in advance

I don't think after four years, you are giving up too soon! That sounds so frustrating and you are well within your rights to bring up a revision. When you meet with your doctor, be frank about how frustrating this has been, and really pretty unsuccessful and tell him what you would like to do. You need to be your own best advocate.

Unfortunately don't know the difference between upper GI and endoscopy. I know endoscopy, they stick a small tube (endoscope) with a camera down your throat (while you are really well sedated and probably will sleep and not remember much) to see all the way down your esophogus. They also can send special instraments down tube if they need to take a biopsy)

Good luck with your appointment. Don't be afraid to discuss your concerns with your doctor. That's what he is there for.

Ive had the band since January 2011. My sleeve surgery is on August 21st. My doctor suggested it to me! Just tell them you want the sleeve surgery.... My insurance and doctors are considering it an emergency surgery because I actually have a slipped band....

Good luck and keep us posted!

Funny, I went to the doc yesterday and said ok doc I am ready now for the sleeve.. and he said ok... I agree. I have a psych appointment sent for Monday a upper GI for Tuesday and cardiologist for the 28th i go back on Sept 5th for the surgery date . they called me today and said they sent the letter to the insurance.... :) i went with the band because i was scared of leakage but this band is the death of me !! i slime and choke over everything and my band has been unfilled for 2 months !! so heres hoping to an easier time

I had my band since August of 2009 and wasn't losing any weight. My dr actually suggested the sleeve to me. I had my band taken out on Monday and I will get sleeved on October 1st.

I think you will need to tell your dr that you really want to look into the sleeve.