Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 Months Into Process... Still Waiting

Hello. I started the process back in December 2011. I have been working with the nutritionist and have seen the psychologist twice. I've gotten my six months worth of doctor progress notes and everything is in order.

However i have yet to see the surgeon. They wont schedule me until i get under 400 lbs on my own. They won't do any of the surgeries unless you are under 400.

I don't see too many on the forums with the same problem as mine.. or many people doing this near or over 400.. but I'm curious if anyone else has run across this?

Currently I'm out of town swimming a lot to lose weight and I've lost almost 20 lbs since being here and am at 404. I don't plan on leaving to go back soon since the weight is coming off fast and easy with the swimming. I'd like to get well under 400 before i go back. Assuming they will even let me pick up where i left off.

I've had moments where I've considered not doing it at all because i am doing the one exercise that i love (and CAN actually do because of bad arthritis in my knees that I'm prescribed narcotics for) and feeling pretty good considering.

But i also know how easy the weight can come back since I've lost 100lbs in the past with low carb and exercise and subsequently regained.

I had a hard time convincing myself to do this in the first place since i have severe anxiety and a bit of a phobia of drugs and procedures. So they delays are hard on me since they are making me second guess. I'm currently trying desperately to convince myself to stick with it.

Guess I'm hoping to find someone with a similar experience.

You are almost under 400 pounds now, so you are close.

Some insurances require six months consecutive appointments. For this reason, I would make sure you still visit the doctor's appointments for weigh ins and check in with them once a month until you are ready for the surgery.

If it's been a few weeks, call and make an appointment so they know you are still serious. You are so close to 400 now, so be proud.

You can still continue your swimming for now, because they would still have to set you up with a surgeon, then it has to go to your insurance company and you have to wait for approval there, that takes like a month and then they will have to schedule the surgery. That would put you closer to the end of summer, so you don't lose swim time.

I have neurological and chronic pain issues including lupus. Swimming is my relief from pain. I had surgery June 4th and I was so worried about losing out on my swim time.

As far as chickening out or anxiety, I really hope that you can let go of the anxiety. I am married with a family. I have a brain tumor, lupus, and I was over 300 pounds and I realized if I didn't get help I was going to die because of my weight, not the brain tumor, not the lupus, but because of my weight. I worked hard before my surgery to lose weight like you are doing now, to make the surgery easier on me. I realized I would rather die trying to get healthier than to die sitting on the couch, waiting to die.

The pain is temporary, it's completely worth it, the world will open up for you and you will find less anxiety when the weight of the world is off your shoulders, your chest, your back, your knees, your hips. Life still throws curve balls, but I know i am better able to handle them now.

Think about what you are doing for yourself. Anxiety...is a part of my life but when it came to this surgery, I let it go, because I knew what I was doing was worth it. I'd rather die trying than lay there dying.

You have until the day you have surgery to cancel. Don't stop after you got this far. If you feel the day of surgery you can't do it, then you gave it your best shot, but don't stop the process by finding ways to have them call it off on you. Keep fighting until the day comes.

Best of luck to you, you can do it if you put yourself into this and stay positive. You are worth it.

I think u are making great progress towards getting below the 400 lb mark. Keep up the good work. I think u will do great with the sleeve.

I can't share a similar experience, but I can say that you'll be amazed at how much shedding the weight frees you. I didn't even realize how trapped I was as a bigger girl until the weight was gone, and I cannot imagine all of the ways that being 400+ pounds affects your daily life.

All surgeries are a little risky and that can be frightening. I can say without question that the sleeve is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

I, personally, think your doctors/insurance should be more concerned about helping you control your weight if you're showing an interest in changing your life than holding up a damned ruler and making you reach a certain point before they'll help. That aside, I think that if you can get insurance to cover it, jump the darned hoops and make it happen.

You are already making small changes that are improving the way you feel. Imagine how much more active you can be at half the weight you are right now. It's attainable with the sleeve - far more possible than with diet and exercise alone.

I hope that you will not talk yourself out of this life change. It's frightening, and scary and a big, huge change, I won't lie. But you are a mere five pounds away from meeting a requirement that will help you change your life - your health, your happiness, you activity - everything. There is no reason to walk away now, even if you find such a big step frightening. Many of us do, prior to surgery. But you will find very, very few truly unhappily sleeved people out there, especially once they're past the healing phase.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide. I think that change is difficult for all of us, but you have to decide what you want more - the comfort of the known or the life you've been missing out on.

~Cheri

Dont get discouraged, you are showing a strong will to get the job done......

My husband started at 441lbs during his 18 day pre op diet he dropped 30 lbs leaving him at 411 at day of surgery, and today is 1week 1 day post op and he has dropped 15 lbs :) he is very happy. he is feeling great, and excited about his new life! im not going to sugar coat it, it is scary and risky. the first day post op is rough, but if you stick to the plan and put your heart into it you will soon be enjoying your new life too.... Good luck and stay strong :)

I started my journey exactly 3 months ago at 6'4" 385# (paperwork submitted today). And I too still have reservations about surgery, but mine stems from the feeling that I failed myself. But I know how my weight loss has gone in the past and its always lose a bunch to gain even more back. I have worked hard the last 3 weeks and lost 13lbs during them (first 2 months I wasn't committed but still lost a few lbs each month) and have dropped to 367#am getting way more active, which makes me question do I need to go through with surgery? I mean look at me, im doing it on my own! I can sit here and say "this time im committed, this time I really will stick with it and lose the weight" but realistically that's the same story I have been telling myself for 10 years. That story is the reason I decided to go to a consult. I know that this is the best option for me and I know my life will be so much better after surgery. I have had 3 knee surgery's as a result of football injury's and they still hurt to this day. Even tho im second guessing myself I know if I want to make up in the mornings pain free, energetic, happy with what I see in the mirror, and ready to take on the world the sleeve is the tool I need to get me started! So, stick with it! Your almost there! it's only 4 more pounds! I mean lets be real lol, at our weight a 1300 cal day with a 45 min walk and a good BM can result in 1-2# off the scale! Keep up the swimming and fight for those last 4 pounds, you will be grateful for the rest of your (extended because you will be healthier) life!

Send me a PM if you want to talk more!

Thank you all for the kind words. I will push myself forward through this process and have until the last moment to change my mind. The only thing that is holding me back is my fears. Yet I know I am not truly living because my weight has always prevented me from doing what I have always wanted.

I will undoubtedly have more times when I second guess myself and I am glad to have found this awesome community.

Again thank you for the support.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using VST

Check the 200+ to lose forum: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/forum/39-200-pounds/

You are not alone! I had a little over 100 lbs to lose. It's been the best thing I've ever done for my health.

Lynda

Weight loss surgery gives obese people a much greater chance of not only losing weight but KEEPING IT OFF> That is the holy grail! We want to KEEP IT OFF. Weight loss surgery has a much much higher success rate of keeping weight off of obese people than dieting or exercise only. The stats don't lie. Good luck!