Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of Banding in QLD

icon9.gifThinking of Banding

Hi... I am have an appointment with the Doctors in 3 weeks. Still unsure if I want to get the surgery .... I need to drop about 100kgs ... I just want my life back ... is there anyone else out there that has had to loose this much ... help me make the decision.

Hiya Cowgirl,

I have to lose 75kg to 80kg - so I know how you feel. There are plenty of "big losers" on LBT - both people who have already lost their weight, and those who are working on it. Check out the BMI over 50 thread in the support section, and the before and after picture thread.

I am not banded yet - scheduled for 5th October. It's a big decision - very confronting. I am taking this step so that I can get control of my health before I end up with obestiy related diseases / co-morbidities.

What won me (and my family) over to lapbanding were the following:

• it has more favourable long term health outcomes (Vitamins, diet etc) compared to other weight loss surgeries
  • it has a lower rate of complication compared to other weight loss surgeries
  • it's reversable
  • it's successful
  • it's affordable - the band, fills & follow ups are all covered by Medicare & private health insurance, or fully covered if a public patient
  • the government thinks it's a good idea - it was recently announced that they will increase funding for lapbanding, as for every $1 they spend on this procedure, they save $70 in diabetes treatments alone (not to mention savings on other obesity related diseases)
  • the fantastic support and experience of those who have have gone before - hang out at places like this and you'll see what I mean. Most doctors / surgery centres have their own support groups as well. Mine group run at the hospital with the support of the psychologist, nurse and surgical staff.

All the best - we're here to help. There are a few other Queenslanders around LBT.

Good luck,

Anna.

Hi Cowgirl74....I was banded on the 17th July (7 weeks ago) and had my first fill yesterday.

I do not have quite as much weight to lose (46kg) but a close friend of mine was 181kg and is down to 90kg after 18months (she has 20kg to go) and looks sensational!

She was my inspiration to get the band and I am already so glad I did because without it instead of being 10kg lighter I could have been 10kg heavier.

Good Luck......you will do great!

Hi Cowgirl74,

I have about 80kgs to loss if I am being honest. My BMI is over 50. I figured I couldnt lose weight by myself, I have always been obese and I needed to do something or I will get those weight related illness or worse die an early death.

Even though I havent had a great start I dont regret doing this. I am trying to do something to improve my quality of life. I went with the band as its reversable and safer than other options. (Helping the chicken option of choosing the wrong thing) You need to do whats best for you. It's a big step, but staying over weight in my eyes was an even bigger step to take. Each to their own - I am not on a soap box. I under why ppl do this and I under why someone wouldnt. One thing though, you have to be doing it for you.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards

Lisa