Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Lapband

Hello All, I have been looking into banding for the past 6 months and think I'm ready to make an appointment. I have yo-yo dieted for years and the weight always comes back on. Now I have developed high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol. In the past 3 months I've started an exercise regimen with a personal trainer and am firming up, but not losing the weight, so have decided that doing the banding and working out will both benefit me.

Our insurance company is BCBS but they have an exclusion in our policy, so don't think I'll be able to get them to pay for it, looks like self pay :cry

My husband is concerned for my health, as am I, but he's not being supportive of the surgery. I've talked to him about it for a long time and finally just told him that I am going to do this for myself because if I don't I may not be around for him to worry about. I'm hoping to schedule this sometime before the holidays.

I live in Katy, Texas and am interested in knowing which doctors in the area have a good reputation, and what kind of costs I'm looking at. I've heard anywhere from $12,000 to $15,000 or more. Any info will be welcomed.

Thanks all

katylady ---HI

What kind of BCBS? On there web site they say they cover bariactic surgery? Just curious my self I am going to call tom. We have insurance through laborers union and I am sure they will not cover. But I keep hoping. Good luck. I will find out tomorrow.

Hello Katylady .. I also have BCBS and they would'nt cover it I tryed for almost 2 years to have them cover it and they would'nt So I went self paid and yes it's more in the $15,000 range but I think well worth it, for me anyway's I did'nt have the high blood pressure but I did have the diabetes, but for me I have been big most of my life and this is the bigest I have ever been at 271 and I just knew it was time for a change and I tried diets and other stuff yes comes off for a few month but then I gain it right back blah .. lol.....And my husbend at 1st was NOT! for me getting it but I didnt care it's my health my body and I am doing it for me.. and my kids so that way I can live longer with them. I am in my 2nd week since I have had it done and I am doing pretty good , I have my doctors appt today at 1pm. to make sure it's all going good tc and if you need anyone to talk to We are here for you!!!!!!

TexasBr@t oh and the dr that did mine was Felix Spiegel and I was banned on Sept 1, 2006 oh and I am near Katy I am off of hwy 6 and I -10

Hello TigerLiliy and TexasBr@t. Thanks for responding. Our BCBS is through my husbands union. Our medical coverage is great except for this. Oh well, I agree, it's my body and I'm going to do whatever it takes to be around for my family.

TexasBr@t, how did you like Dr. Speigel? How long does it take to go through the initial process to having the surgery? Does his office provide info on medical financing? I'm ready to do this yesterday!

I'm so glad I found this forum. Reading through all these experiences has me more convinced than ever that this is what I need to do.

I am short, just 5'2" with a very small body frame. Finding clothes is a nightmare for a petite fat woman and I can't wait to be able to shop in a regular store and buy things that don't look like they were made for my grandmother! Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly a spring chicken, but I don't want to look like an old crow.

One worry, my husband has been jealous in the past when I've lost weight, and I think that may be why he's against this. Have any of you experienced you spouse being jealous or trying to sabotage your efforts since you've lost weight? How do you deal with it? We've been together for 30 years and he is my one and only, but I think it scares him. By the way, he's very fit and trim.

lol that is funny you say that about your husband. 1st thing my husband said was you better not leave me when you get thin. I think cause I have alway been FAT!! with him , I told him you have nothing to worry about I love you.. and will be with you and we are in 13 years of marrage now .And he is very fit and trim too!!! 5'9 180 pounds to my 5'3 271.. lol if he could stay with me well I am fat and he loved me the way I was Well I am not going to leave that man I wont fine anyone better then that anyways!!!!! Well I payed Cash I got the money from my grandma, but yes if you call them they can give you some of the info on where you can get some financing.. Once you get the financing you can get it done that week.. I went in on Aug 28th and had it done on Sept 1st Once they know you can pay , its up to you when u want it done. anyways keep in touch and let us know how everything is going ....

TexasBr@t

Dr Felix Spiegel banned on Sept 1, 2006

Hello All, I have been looking into banding for the past 6 months and think I'm ready to make an appointment. I have yo-yo dieted for years and the weight always comes back on. Now I have developed high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol. In the past 3 months I've started an exercise regimen with a personal trainer and am firming up, but not losing the weight, so have decided that doing the banding and working out will both benefit me.

Our insurance company is BCBS but they have an exclusion in our policy, so don't think I'll be able to get them to pay for it, looks like self pay :cry

My husband is concerned for my health, as am I, but he's not being supportive of the surgery. I've talked to him about it for a long time and finally just told him that I am going to do this for myself because if I don't I may not be around for him to worry about. I'm hoping to schedule this sometime before the holidays.

I live in Katy, Texas and am interested in knowing which doctors in the area have a good reputation, and what kind of costs I'm looking at. I've heard anywhere from $12,000 to $15,000 or more. Any info will be welcomed.

Thanks all

I live near San Antonio, Texas and the cost range you mentioned is about the going rate for my area. The Wish Center here runs a self-pay special for $10.7K; Southwest Bariatrics in Austin is about 15K w/follow-up and fills, and New Dimensions is running about 15.3K as an outpatient w/out follow-up and fills and 20.3K with overnight stay and follow-up care to include fills.

TexasBr@t, sounds like you and I have a lot in common. My husband and I have been together a long time. Although I was very thin when we dated and were married, the weight started coming on after the kids. I have yo-yo'd for the last 20 years with no success. He has stayed by my side the whole time and I have absolutely no doubt that he loves me. He has never said anything negative about my weight until the diabetes and other health problems began happening, and he still doesn't say anything negative, just that he is concerned for my health and doesn't want to be left alone if something happens to me.

Too bad there's not a WISH CENTER in the houston area, I can come up with 10K much easier than 15k.

Hi katylady,

I used Dr. Rumbaut in Mexico it was 10,600. and included 3 days hotel and pickup at airport and travel to dr. office and hospital. Great Dr. Good luck!