Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time off from work?

Originally I wanted to take 2 weeks off, but work is really crazy and it would be best job-wise for me to take off for one week, maybe 7 days or so.

Is this too soon? I have a desk job. No lifting. Mostly phone, email, meetings, etc.

Hi. I was banded yesterday. While I am in some pain right now, I think I will feel up to going to work on Monday. The only time I really hurt (and this is one day after surgery, mind you) is when I'm trying to get out of bed. As I'm sitting here at my desk, the pain isn't so bad. So I think in about a week I will feel okay. But let it be your decision. If you feel like you're overdoing yourself in any way, don't go back to work until it's right for YOU. You don't want to risk damaging the band in a rush back to work.

I had my surgery on Tuesday and was back to work on Monday. I worked from home the week of surgery, even Tuesday. :( Everyone is different, but for me getting into clothes was the big issue. You are swollen after surgery so you want to wear loose pants and tops. That was a challenge for me working downtown. I just got some over blouses and shells to wear.

I had surgery on a Wed. and went back on Monday. It wasn't the most pleasant day, but I made it. I have a desk job, too. I remember Monday and Tuesday being a bit uncomfortable, but I felt much better after that.

Having said that, everyone is different and heals differently. I did not feel back to my normal self for about 2 weeks post-op.

I had surgery Friday and went back to work the following Thursday. I also have a "desk" job. I was uncomfortable, wore baggy pants, brought a pillow for my lower back.

Good luck to you :(

I was banded on Wed. and went back to work on Tues., don't think I could have went back on Mon. The pain between day 6 and day 7 lessened significantly. I have a desk job also, not physically demanding in any way. However, I did take all of my medications to work with me in a small lunch cooler, liquid tylenol, gas X, pain meds, Vitamins. I didn't want to be caught needing something and not have it.

The only thing I could not and still cannot do is wear a bra. It hurts my port and my diaphram too much. We are business casual, so this is easy to hide with jackets. Somewhere someone posted to wear a sports bra. pfft. I couldn't find one to fit, I just use a camesole (sp?) as a bra and it works really well.

Also, the desk and conference room tables, come right to level of my port incision. I will be bringing a small baby blanket or pillow tomorrow to place on the edge because I keep bumping my port site. :think Owwwww.

I had surgery on a friday and went back to work 1/2 day on monday - i have a very easy job and was alone all day. I was tired - a lot from traveling and not super comfortable sleeping but it was ok - if possible i would suggest taking 3-5 days off work regardless - you're not eating and don't have tons of energy. Consideering you have a desk job that doesn't sound toooo stressful, you should be fine. I've always said - when people see you back at work they dont care what's up with you - they expect 100%. b

I was ok after 1 week but really needed that 2nd week to get my energy level back up.

Everyone is different - I know someone who had surgery on a Monday and went back to work on Thurs.

Good luck!!

Tracy

I'm back today, was banded last Thursday. I had planned to be off today and go back Monday, but something came up I need to deal with. So I'm hoping for 1/2 a day or so. I feel pretty good expect uncomfortable around the port when I sit up.

Thanks, Ladies,

This thread just-in-time! I was just researching yesterday how much time I would need off from work, whether I was eligible for FMLA, how much vacation and sick time I had, yadayadayada.

Based on the input here, I think I'll request to be scheduled on a Thursday and take the next full week off. With the weekends, that will give me about 11 days (7 vacation days plus the 4 weekend days) off before I return work. I may also ask to work from home for 4 hours a day on the full week off so that my vacation time isn't greatly affected.

I was banded on Thursday and went back to work on Monday...had to take Tuesday off. I just wasn't ready. I think I overdid it on Monday. I probably should have stayed out until Wednesday or Thursday. I too have a desk job. I would say if you plan 6-7 days to recover, you should be fine. Just be careful about lifting at work. I was 1 1/2 weeks post op and on my way to a meeting. I was carrying a stack of papers and bent down to pick up my Water that fell off the papers and bamb...i tore a muscle right next to my port. I have been in intese pain for about 1 1 /2 weeks now...just be careful! Don't overdo it! Get people to help you carry things, bend down, etc....