Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP...Is this the right thing to do???????

Thanks to all of you for giving me some good feed back. I appreciate the help. I'm ready! Still freakin' but ready. I have 3 days left to work, then the weekend, then the first day of my new life. Thanks again!

It is something to be nervous about, but the odds are in your corner, sweetie. As far as telling, I told anyone. I mean, it isn't like you couldn't or can' t (lol) look at me & tell i am fat, everyone was happy i was doing something about it. Do your research & that will help you know if you are making the right decision - that will help your nerves. Good Luck!

The band is the best thing that has happened to me in my adult life. Follow what Poodles said above about changing what you eat, and you'll be happy. I think the number in my signature below says enough for me. :(

Good luck!

Thanks jj & 91, I'm just getting nervous the closer it gets. I still haven't decided to or not to tell my Mom, guess I need to hurry and decide huh? Do you truly feel it's the best thing? I guess I keep thinking 'what if I'm making a huge mistake?'. I've been looking into this for over 3 years now and I keep hearing good but also bad, and the bad scares the hell out of me. I really appreciate all the comments from everyone. Thanks.

I tell everyone. You have to have a really good memory to be a successful liar, and most days, I can't remember s*. And I have not had one single negative comment from anyone.

I don't think being a private person and keeping your medical choices confidential makes you a liar. I think thats a rude thing to say.

I don't think being a private person and keeping your medical choices confidential makes you a liar. I think thats a rude thing to say.

Actually, it's just an old saying: "A liar should have a good memory". I did not realize anyone would take it personally, especially since the statement was totally about ME, as in I am a lousy liar because I can't remember spit.

Please, everyone, allow me to clarify my statement...I do not think failing to tell people you had WLS makes you a liar. If they ask you point-blank, "Did you have surgery to lose weight?" and you deny it, that might be a different story, but even then, you still have the right to disseminate your personal information as you see fit. And if I was really, really uncomfortable about having people know, I might lie thru my teeth.

There are some people you have to tell, however. I went to my Ortho guy and in the course of the exam, he touched my port. The poor guy jerked his hand back like he had been burned! "What is THAT???", he wanted to know. His eyes were as big as saucers. I think he had visions of the Alien movie.

Having healthy boundaries and realizing that you have the right to your medical privacy is a good thing.

Thank you for clarifying your statement Carlene, I appreciate that.

Noone should ever have to feel like a 'liar' for choosing to keep some things personal and confidential. Especially when it comes to a medical decision.

April

I feel the exact same way as you , I am having the surgery on 9-20-06 with Dr. Kuri . I think it is normal to be freakin out ..but I think it is a good decision for both of us

I have not told my Mom she would worry too much about me going to MX and my Dad is sick , so she has enough to worry about and to do taking care of him. I have told my grown children becaus they are my best friends and understand and want what I want for me

Good Luck

Jitters and doubts are normal....everyone has them......and the pre-op diet seems so severe at the time but trust me it will over before you can turn around...I dreaded the pre op diet and thought I couldnt make it but I look back now....shucks...it wasnt THAT bad....dont have fear but have faith in God.....much love

dont have fear but have faith in God

WOW, I like that. Maybe a little corny, but as soon as I read that I felt a little more at peace with my decision.

Just a little update for those of you who are interested...

I had my pre-op appointment today. Everything is on track and I am all ready for surgery on Monday.

Thanks all of you, for all of your replies.

Well it's 9-18-06 at 4:40am and I'm on my way to the hospital. All of you who pray please remember me in your prayers, all all of you who don't please send me good thoughts and wishes. Thanks everyone.