Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Solids Too Soon?

My wife was banded on August 22nd. She came thru the procedure very well. She has done liquids, then on to mushie's however, she has started to eat solids. Little here, little there. Besides having the very full feeling she does fine. I just dont want her to push to quickly but I think her body would tell her if she did. I assume she is not the first person to start solids earlier than expected. Are there any stories of "I ate solids too early and now my band is ruined" out there? Comments would be appreciated.

Congrats to your wife on her band!! :clap2:

What my doctor told me, and I've seen the pics, is that you can pop the sutures holding the band in place before scar tissue develops over it and her band could slip, if you eat regular food too soon. She should go back to mushies if that's what her doctor wants her to do. Just tell her it's not forever, just until she's fully healed. :biggrin1:

She can do it!! :clap2:

Yes, please remind her that she is in a healing period right now. She went to the time and trouble to make this big decision to improve her health, and she wants to safeguard that decision. We have all been there. It IS hard to get through this time, but it will be over sooner than you think.

It is better to be safe and healed, than sorry later.

Your wife needs to follow her doctor's orders. If he/she wants her on mushies, then mushies she should be eating. Each doctor is different, but most don't want you eating solids for 3-4 weeks. Most want you to take the time to heal and don't want the stomach churning a lot to digest food. She can get full feeling by eating mushies. You need to be creative. Check out the food thread and look for mushies.

Good luck to her.

Well, I ate solids too early. Way too early. But it was a complete accident. It certainly didn't ruin my band, but having a major PB 3 days post-op was no fun.

BTW, eating solids isn't going to ruin the band, the band is on the outside. The food stages are for your insides, to let them heal up, and also to acclimate to the new role of the pouch.

The best advice you'll get re: eating solids too soon is, "Follow whatever advice your surgeon gave you." Or your wife, in this case.

My surgeon directed me to go onto solids after only 3 days of liquids post- banding, which I did with much precaution, in tiny quantities. I have had no trouble with my band, but as stated above, do what *your* doctor wants. Imagine how your wife might feel if she has a problem with her band and has to explain that she wasn't following doctor's orders! The good thing about the prolonged liquid and mushie stage is rapid weight loss (which I missed out on), so tell her to hang in there!

Deana.

I was told by my doctor to not eat solids before the given period, it is important for your band to anchor in and for the stitches to heal , if I ate solids too soon I was at risk of having my band slip since the digestive process of solid foods makes your stomach rumble and churn which could make your band slip if it is not set in place. So I followed the rules to a T, I was scared to have my band slip

is that you can pop the sutures holding the band in place before scar tissue develops over it and her band could slip, if you eat regular food too soon.

Pretty much what I was told

Thanks for the info. I did not take into account the sutures. That is a very good point. The doctor instructed her to "introduce regular foods". Her first fill will be under the flouroscope so we will know soon enough if we popped a stich. Untill then, i'll puree her up a nice gourmet meal. Thanks again.

Hi!! I was banded today! Yay! I have a question for some of you experienced bandsters -- did you lose a significant amount of weight in the month following the placement of the band? It seems like you would lose quite a bit from just being on liquids/very soft foods!

I always find it interesting how every doctor is different. I went on mushies on day 10 and solids on about day 15. When he said I could go to solids I asked him because so many other's doctors have told them to wait 3-4 weeks. He told me that by day 15, my band is well secured in place and the type of stitches they used are specifically selected with the knowledge that the stomach does work, whether on liquids, mushies, or solids, it is working and the stitches are more than able to hold things together.