Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Don't Understand!

Can anyone tell me how it could be that I have been doing this clear liquid only pre-op diet for 5 full days and have not lost a single ounce! I am so afraid that this is what is going to happen to me after being banded as well. Why won't my body let go of this fat!? I know it has only been 5 days, but not one ounce gone. What is wrong with my body? Even if I would have been eating food, I would have still been the same weight, so why am I going through this suffering? I even weighed myself before TOM came and now TOM is gone and I am still the same, I don't get it. Will I lose weight with my band or am I in for more of this. I am so annoyed right now, this liquid phase is not easy, at least if I would have dropped a pound I would see some results and feel better about it. GRRRRRRRR:hungry: :faint: :think :cry :drum: :) :) :mad: :mad:

I'm doing 3 Protein Shakes a day, using Sport Pharma whey and Muscle Milk, sf Jello, sf ice pops, 1 boullion cube a day with Water, coffee with skim milk, artificial sweetner, diet snapple, that it. I haven't cheated once. I felt like throwing that scale through the window. I would think there was something wrong with it, except when I put my daughter on it, her correct weight came up.

I didn't lose during liquids either and we're not the only ones. There's nothing wrong with you. All this prep and then mushies stages serve a bigger purpose than weight loss-they get your body ready for surgery. So, please try not to even worry about it because once you're post-band and back to real foods you body will respond and you'll get to see some real action!

Hi there,

Try not to worry too much :) I remember thinking the same thing "I've done every diet in the world and even tried starving and nothing...so why will the band be different?" It just is.

Add to this that despite what logic, professionals and everyone else might say, our bodies are amazing things and can do some amazing and mind boggling things. Everything tells you that you should be losing and so you should and yet the body clings on.

I'm no expert but I think part of the band difference for me at least is that I don't feel hungry, don't feel I'm battling something and believe for the first time my brain and my body might be working together.

Don't get me wrong, it still annoys the hell out of me the way it clings on sometimes but now I've learned to just keep on going and eventually the body gives in and then my weight drops down.

Keep going, you've come this far and more than this, believe the band will help you do this and it will:)

Thanks everyone, you are all so kind. Jack, my bowel movements have changed somewhat. I say somewhat because I would "normally" go 3 times in the a.m. from the time of wakening until about noon. Since the liquid, I have only gone once each a.m., most of the days, with the exception of two days, it was normal texture. Yesterday it was liquididy (if that is even a word). Aren't you glad you asked? LOL!

don't worry......I didn't have a pre-op diet but I was on liquids for 2 weeks after surgery and for the first 6 days I lost NOTHING then all of a sudden from 6th - 14th days I lost 20lbs...how weird is that!

Keep your chin up!

I have been doing this clear liquid only pre-op diet for 5 full days and have not lost a single ounce!

Relax, during surgery they fill you up with all kinds of fluids, you are bloated and full of gas as well. I bet you have lost all of the excess they filled you up with during surgery. Did you weigh yourself right after surgery to see if you had gained or are you gfoing by what you weighed pre surgery? ..When I had bowel obstruction surgery by my band doctor, I had not eaten or drank a single thing 3 days prior to my surgery, when I got home from surgery I had gained 15 lbs...all of it was fluids from the IV's it took 3-5 days for my body to release all of that crap, do not worry, you just had surgery, your body may be in a little shock..