Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introduction Decided To Get Sleeved Instead Of Banded

Hi everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 44 and am a mom to 3 kids, 3 dogs and 2 cats. I'm getting sleeved on August 22nd by Dr. Weiss in New York. I was origionally planning on getting banded but after talking with my surgeon, gastroenterologist and doing more research feel that I'm better suited to the sleeve. I'm counting down the days till surgery. I want to get healthier, make sure I stay healthy and keep up with my 3 year old. And did I mention I also can't wait to look hot...or at least semi hot. :)

I was the same. Went in determined to get the band but after researching and talking to the surgeon would never consider having a band and would never recommend anyone else to do so! Good luck. You will be a hottie before you know it!

Hello! I am also a 40 year old mother of a 20 year old daughter, 1 year old cat, 2 year old English mastiff and 7 month old English bulldog. Oh and I forgot the husband lol.

I also was planning on the band but after doing the research about the complications and the struggles with it decided on the sleeve. Also there are too many people doing a revision and I do not want to go through this more than once. Congratulations on your decision!

Thank you! After talking with my surgeon and him telling me how many revisions he's making to the sleeve from the band I was convinced this was the best decision for me. Good luck to both of you too!

Good luck! I'm going to be a band to sleeve revision on Tuesday! What a mistake the band was. Good news is that it can be removed!

Hey All -

I'm kinda in the same boat. Have been dead set on the band all along and now I'm close to having completed all the hoops I needed to jump through for the insurance company, I'm starting to change my mind and considering the sleeve even more.

What made you change your mind? I wish I could find a doc that performed both the lap band and the sleeve - who could give me a good honest suggestion. Seems around me I'm only finding docs who do one or the other! Obviously a lap band doc will urge lap band, warn me off the sleeve. And a sleeve doc will do the opposite! Ah!

What made you change your mind?

I was sure I wanted the band but after about six months of research and watching lapbandtalk I noticed a lot of revisions and complications. I opted to check out the sleeve instead and couldn't be happier with my decision.

We don't really have a lot of "sleeve docs" in the states since it's so much newer. We do see a number of people posting that their surgeons are pushing RNY or band, though, likely because they're more experienced with those surgeries.

Congrats on your choice, you'll love your sleeve.

~Cheri

I was the same way! My surgery date is July 19 and I am more excited than ever! I can't wait to look and feel great!

I was the same. Went in determined to get the band but after researching and talking to the surgeon would never consider having a band and would never recommend anyone else to do so! Good luck. You will be a hottie before you know it!

My surgeon recommend the sleeve for me. They do all three procedures at the weight loss center where I go. He brought up a few key points that helped change my mind...1. I was worried about being able to have children and give good nutrients to the baby after my weight loss, he said I could do that with the sleeve. 2. Short term and long term maintenance - with the lap band, you have to go in for monthly fills to find your weight loss "sweet spot", plus he said that they are finding that many people have to have their lap bands removed after 5-10 years. 3. After researching and asking questions online, I have found so many people who have had to had lap band to sleeve revisions. They all wish they would have gotten the sleeve the first time. One last benefit of the sleeve is that the doctor said that you will lose your weight faster and lose more of it with the sleeve than with the lap band. This is just what I have found with my research, I hope this helps.

Hey All -

I'm kinda in the same boat. Have been dead set on the band all along and now I'm close to having completed all the hoops I needed to jump through for the insurance company, I'm starting to change my mind and considering the sleeve even more.

What made you change your mind? I wish I could find a doc that performed both the lap band and the sleeve - who could give me a good honest suggestion. Seems around me I'm only finding docs who do one or the other! Obviously a lap band doc will urge lap band, warn me off the sleeve. And a sleeve doc will do the opposite! Ah!

What made you change your mind?

Like I said previously, I hate my band!! Wish I knew about the sleeve 2 yrs ago. Oh well! Tuesday I sit on the losers bench with my follow sleevers! It's becoming very real only 2 days away! Nervous and excited all at the same time!!

Hi all..I actually went in to have the band done on 5/29 (researched for 2 years + took that long to get over my nerves). I had the operation and woke up to no band due to an gastric artery being at the top of my stomach instead of where it should have been it was a no go (my surgeon sees about 10 cases of this a year). So I had the official look see without the banding. :-). Fortunately, I have a wonderful surgeon that knows what he is doing.

At first, I was so disappointed that I had gone through all of the nerves, etc and ended up with NOTHING. After much thought and discussions with my surgeon he gave me my other options. When all was said and done I am so GLAD that it has worked out for the best for me. This has been a long time coming!

I also feel blessed to have found this site and all of the information and people on it. Everyone is willing to share their stories and I have made some new sleeve friends.

As far as being pushed in one direction by your surgeon...all I can say is my surgeon would never push his patients toward one surgery or another. He provides all of the information and the patients decide. I know it might be hard if you only have a surgeon that specializes in one type of surgery but as hard as it may seem...you need to choose what is best for YOU no matter what. In the end, that might mean moving to another surgeon and starting over.

Sorry for the long story but I will be having my sleeve surgery this Tuesday @ 9:30. I am excited and a bit nervous but all ready to begin this new journey to a healthier me!

I wish everyone continued success and looking forward to the loser's bench...keep my seat warm!!

Hey there..sleeve twin!!!

Butterflies a little bit...it was much worse the first time as that was my first surgery ever. At least I know what to expect on the front end. I think my mind is easing itself in but probably will hit me tomorrow.

You keep me posted too!!