Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Decided To Make The Switch From Lapband To Sleeve

Hello I've been a member of the Lapband talk forum for over 6 months now, but have decided today to switch to the sleeve.

My reason is the fact that I have dentures (from 10 yrs of chemo) and on my 2nd round of chemo they pulled all my molars - then the rest of the teeth became very brittle and broke constantly - so 2 yrs ago I had a full set of dentures. I have never been able to wear my lower dentures due to all the bone loss from when they pulled the molars out all those years ago.. So in 2014 I have have the surgery to have the posts put in and then have a new set of lower dentures fitted (insurance says we can only do this once every 5 years) so then I can finally SMILE like a normal person.

So, that being said - I cannot chew my food to mush as would be needed to succeed with the band. As it is now, I get terrible chest pains that I used to think that i was having a heart attack (but many ER visits and testing later) but it turned out that my esophagus is thinner towards the middle (think hourglass) and so i can actually feel when the food finally passes through as its am immediate relief.

So i'll be lurking on this board and asking tons of questions - thanks for your support in advance!!!

I was part of LAP Band Talk as well and I have switched to going with the sleeve. I talked to my surgeon and she said she thinks I would have more success and be happier with the sleeve.

good deal..... I'm just trying to find out about how much longer it will take to heal and get back to the office. but it looks like diet wise it's the same - so I'm already prepped for that.

I think we both made the right choice....just need to find out a bit more info on the actual surgery and such.

It seems as though a lot of the recovery is similar to the band, and most surgeons tell people to try and take 2 weeks off of work. Most people with the sleeve start feeling "normal" at about 3-4 weeks out, though it does depend on the person, the type of job they have, and the situation.

I have been talking to my step mom about this (she had the sleeve last year) and she is behind me 100%, she is giving me a lot of support which is great. I am so happy that I actually know someone in real life with good results and experience that I can talk to.

Of course these boards are great too!

Are you planning to stay on a puree/mushie stage till 2014? it is doable to be sure, I know at least 2 chemo patients that have had to do this. Soft food diet, I mean.

No, my chemo was finished in 2005 - then the brittle teeth syndrome followed which is why I had to get the dentures. I can chew - but in order to be successful with the band you need to REALLY chew as your esophagus is even more restricted than normal. As it is now...when i eat chicken that is dry (like at lunch today) i'll have a semi-stuck episode. I never have to throw up - or have excessive burping or sliming (which all sound disgusting) but I fear that having a smaller area for food to pass through may cause me to throw up and such which would lead to severe issues with the band.

I've been doing my homework and have researched both options and for me and my quality of life, the sleeve is the best option.

everyone is different as well as their methodology for making this life altering decision

thanks for all the support