Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! I'm stuck! I don't know if I should have the VSG. I was so excited a month ago before I joined this blog. Now I'm just scared! I thought it was going to be a lot easier than what I've been reading. I've been having total anxiety over this decision. I have 90 pounds to be at my ideal weight. I am healthy other than being obese. I don't want to acquire new issues from having the surgery. I am also scared to death of the Hair loss. My hair is super thin as it is. It fell out after I had my daughter and barely grew back. I will be almost bald if I lose any more hair. So between the hair loss side effect and reading this blog, I'm wondering what in the world to do. I'm tentatively scheduled for August. Help!!

Utimately it is your decision, if you are only 90lbs away from goal with no co-morbid diseases I would encourage you to loose it naturally. I don't see the need of WLS on people that are not severely overweight or don't have serious medical problems. If your truly that scared perhaps you should focus on a strict diet and see if your able to loose weight that way. It may even motivate you to stay on the "natural track"! You never know! I would never encourage anyone to do anything they are not comfortable with. If you really are that scared you should definitely weigh your options and reconsider.

You are so right. I was looking for the easy way out. Nothing about this surgery seams easy. You hit the nail on the head, and I appreciate your comment.

No prob. I never thought I would have WLS until I was diagnosed with Diabetes, HBP, & High Cholesterol. Once I read about how WLS can put those diseases into remission I was ALL in. Otherwise I would have never even considered it. I know I can loose weight naturally I've just chosen to lolly gag this entire time. And look at where it's gotten me! My friend is going through the same scenario as you. She is overweight but does not have any health problems and is considering the surgery. I gave her the same advice that I gave you. The biggest motivator, to me, to have this surgery is because of those diseases. I read a study that tracked two people 1 who did WLS and 1 who lost the weight naturally the diseases went into remission in the person who had the surgery where as the person who lost weight naturally improved their medical conditions but was on a lower dosage of medicines. I have my whole life ahead of me and I cannot allow these disease and my poor choices to kill me! If you were in my shoes I would definitely tell you to have the surgery. But if you can eliminate the fat before you get to the stage I'm at I say GO FOR IT!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! Good Luck :) ~!!!!

I was only 55 pound away from my ideal weight but had 4 co morbidities so I opted to get sleeved!! I have a family history of heart disease and diabetes and wanted to nip this NOW !!! God willing it will all go away..,we will see in a few months..,i plan to live for a long time :)

I agree with TinaMari. I will say, the hair issue was a problem for me too but because I too have co-morbs..it's more important for me to lose the weight. It sounds like you are still unsure so I would take some serious focus time and think it over..talk to your doctor as well. Even though you are healthy aside of the obesity, if you have a family history of heart disease, diabetes, etc..I'd talk to he/she and find out if they think you are high risk. Maybe that will help you decide which way to go.

Thank you for your support. I've decided I will try to lose the weight on my own. I joined weight watchers last night. I hope the meetings will help. It's a great group of people. I wish u all the best of luck and continued weight loss and health!

Thank you for your support. I've decided I will try to lose the weight on my own. I joined weight watchers last night. I hope the meetings will help. It's a great group of people. I wish u all the best of luck and continued weight loss and health!

Accountability programs like WW will work as long as you keep yourself accountable to someone. You will need someone that will tell you straight if you go off track &you need to be willing to accept that from them.

I hear ya! I need to be held accountable. From what I've been told, WW works. The only thing that stinks is that its a slower weight loss, but it stays off for most.