Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone who has lost weight and was still type 2 diabetic discussed the ileal interposition as a possible surgery to "cure" diabetes? Or went in to discuss WLS as an option to cure diabeties, and this was mentioned instead of or in addition to the sleeve?

I gentleman who is a lodge brother to my Hubby is not overwhelmingly overweight, but has no real desire to eat less, but does try to control his diabeties. WLS is not the answer for him right now, if ever. He does wish to possibly explore the il inter.

Now, I understand that those 30 lbs he is carrying around is not helping, and I think he would find a bit of success and avoid trouble later by addressing that now - so yes, I agree with you on that (probably before you type it, lol). BUT I am talking about doctors offfering a surgery to cure diabeties in patients who are thin, relatively thin, or only moderately obese. He is almost 6'6 so 30 lbs on him is not what it is on, say a 5'9" man). I do not know if it has been said to do anything for type I - :( - The causes are different, so the same cure is unlikely.

I am also in no way trying to instill false hope or encourage another whole surgery, or replace VST - I just thought we have a cross section of people here, many have varying weights in their families, and some have took seriously bad type II diabeties into near-remission, but just cannot totally shake it - between it all I thought I might gleam a bit from someone who has either had the procedure, knew someone, discussed it, etc...

Everyone's journey and decision is different when it comes to WLS - but my primary reason for going forward with surgery was specifically to reverse my diabetes (type II). I found that the diabetes was a cascading cause for other health issues that I was faced with and knew that I was approaching a point were permanent damage was being done. Since my surgery, March 7th my AC1 or A1C (I forget) has gone from 10.7 where I was on insulin down to 6.2 - which means for the first time I am a diabetic who is under control without medicine. My hope is that by September my AC1 will be under 5.8 to a point that my diabetes is in "remission".

The cost of my surgery and follow up care has been in the 20,000 - 40,000 range. I understand that the annual cost for a diabetic who has uncontrolled blood sugar can be higher - therefore as studies begin to validate the linkage between the surgery (weight loss) and potential for remission I wouldn't be surprised of more encouragement from the medical community or a lowering of the BMI requirements happens. It already has happened with the lap-band if I recall. I feel very fortunate to have been able to had the surgery, to have lost weight (only half-way to my goal) and to have stopped the damage from the diabetes. Again it is a personal journey.