Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Is Like Doing Laundry Now

I used to love food, enjoyed eating, and everything was related to food,.. and after 2 months postop, my relationship with food is so different. I have no cravings, no desire to eat, no interest in food whatsoever. I feel stuffed all day, and I feel afraid of mealtimes. I eat to provide my body with nutrients, but is feels more like doing laudry , and no enjoyment. Sometimes I wish I could get what my body needs by pills. Am I the only one experiencing this?

I'm 32 days postop and I never have the physical feeling of hunger. I still do have head hunger, but mostly only when I'm bored. If I get busy doing something, I can so easily forget about food. Since I've returned to work and now have a more regular schedule, I've noticed that come lunch time I'm never ready to eat. I'm still 100% satisfied from Breakfast. I basically eat because I know I need to. Prior to surgery, I was either always eating or obsessing about what and when I could eat again. I love that food is not ruling my life like that now. It's as freeing as quitting smoking was 6 1/2 years ago. I'm in control and not my addictions. Love it!

wow! congratulations!!! that is amazing!! I am glad I am not hungry, but I guess I still mourn food or at least the Happiness that used to come with food :)..... however I do feel pressure to eat and it seems like its a job now! i need to reach certain Protein levels, and so on...... and feel like a failure when I just cant eat !!! i am afraid I will lose my hair !

I used to love food, enjoyed eating, and everything was related to food, .. and after 2 months postop, my relationship with food is so different. I have no cravings, no desire to eat, no interest in food whatsoever. I feel stuffed all day, and I feel afraid of mealtimes. I eat to provide my body with nutrients, but is feels more like doing laudry , and no enjoyment. Sometimes I wish I could get what my body needs by pills. Am I the only one experiencing this?

Nope. This is exactly how I feel, and sometimes I struggle mentally with the loss of enjoyment. My husband and I are long-time foodies, and now, going out isn't very much fun. We've managed to revisit a few of our favorite places - he orders what he wants and I "nibble" off his plate. (He says he loves the cheap dates!) But I certainly don't think about food like I used to. I'm usually not hungry and I find I have to force myself to try to eat the minimum calories I'm told I require. In my head, I miss the comfort that food brought, but I'm learning to do other, more positive things with that emotional space. As I do, I've found that my relationship to food is becoming more balanced. And that's a good thing. :)

CE

wow! congratulations!!! that is amazing!! I am glad I am not hungry, but I guess I still mourn food or at least the Happiness that used to come with food :)..... however I do feel pressure to eat and it seems like its a job now! i need to reach certain Protein levels, and so on...... and feel like a failure when I just cant eat !!! i am afraid I will lose my hair !

I'm afraid I have bad news. I have done everything I'm supposed to do in order to keep up the Protein requirements. Isopure, eating Proteins first, measuring and weighing in order to ensure I'm getting enough, and 90 days post-op, my hair is falling out like crazy. I've had to have it cut short in order not to look like a fuzzball when the new growth comes in. The doctor keeps assuring me this is "temporary" but I have to say I'm pretty disappointed that in spite of forcing myself to do the Protein shakes (gross) and sitting at the table for an hour after everyone else is gone in order to finish that @#@#$ chicken breast, my hair is still falling out.

CE

Eating has become a survival necessity. I'm 5 weeks post op and am almost 1/2 way to my goal counting the pre-op loss. Until I reach my goal, I eat because I have to take in the Protein. Not because I like to eat. Big change from before. The food still tastes good but there so little of it I ofter wonder how I am surviving. I must be. My nut and doctor are pleased. My diabetes is gone. My blood pressure is gone. My sleep apnea is reduced. I haven't tried had any alcohol and might try a wine in a few weeks. I don't miss it and I was a daily drinker. I do a lot of crock pot meals. Moist chicken, fish, hamburger, hummus, tuna fish. No steaks (beef) yet.

I'm afraid I have bad news. I have done everything I'm supposed to do in order to keep up the Protein requirements. Isopure' date=' eating Proteins first, measuring and weighing in order to ensure I'm getting enough, and 90 days post-op, my hair is falling out like crazy. I've had to have it cut short in order not to look like a fuzzball when the new growth comes in. The doctor keeps assuring me this is "temporary" but I have to say I'm pretty disappointed that in spite of forcing myself to do the Protein shakes (gross) and sitting at the table for an hour after everyone else is gone in order to finish that @#@# chicken breast, my hair is still falling out.

CE[/quote']

90 days after?! wow! My mom had the lap band 10 years ago and she insists she never had any issues with hairloss, but i guess thats because its a different surgery. ..... i usually go to the support meetings that my surgeon organizes, and it is sad how 99%of the ladies whio attend..... are BALD! or wearing wigs....

Eating has become a survival necessity. I'm 5 weeks post op and am almost 1/2 way to my goal counting the pre-op loss. Until I reach my goal' date=' I eat because I have to take in the Protein. Not because I like to eat. Big change from before. The food still tastes good but there so little of it I ofter wonder how I am surviving. I must be. My nut and doctor are pleased. My diabetes is gone. My blood pressure is gone. My sleep apnea is reduced. I haven't tried had any alcohol and might try a wine in a few weeks. I don't miss it and I was a daily drinker. I do a lot of crock pot meals. Moist chicken, fish, hamburger, hummus, tuna fish. No steaks (beef) yet.[/quote']

wow clancy! 5 weeks postop and you are halfway?!?! congratulations!!! wow!!! I am like 10 weekspostop and have lost 45 lbs, but still have 45 to go, I am also halfway...however the last couple of weeks the weight has been coming off sooooo slowly! I am scared to realize how much work , little food and how many days, i takes to lose a single pound!

Eating has become a survival necessity. I'm 5 weeks post op and am almost 1/2 way to my goal counting the pre-op loss. Until I reach my goal, I eat because I have to take in the Protein. Not because I like to eat. Big change from before. The food still tastes good but there so little of it I ofter wonder how I am surviving. I must be. My nut and doctor are pleased. My diabetes is gone. My blood pressure is gone. My sleep apnea is reduced. I haven't tried had any alcohol and might try a wine in a few weeks. I don't miss it and I was a daily drinker. I do a lot of crock pot meals. Moist chicken, fish, hamburger, hummus, tuna fish. No steaks (beef) yet.

I wasn't much of a steak fan before, but I love the idea of the crockpot. I used to do that all the time when my girls were at home and I can certainly go back to it now. Might also solve some of the issue with no drinking as well. Congratulations on being halfway. :) I'm a little less than halfway, but I also have to get exercising again - because I started out with a lower BMI the doctor thinks I'll have to give my metabolism some help to keep losing the weight. I don't care if I only lose a pound a month as long as I'm going in the right direction. This isn't a diet, it's a complete lifestyle change. I was told to plan on reaching my goal weight on the anniversary of the op. I can do that. ;)

CE

I'm afraid I have bad news. I have done everything I'm supposed to do in order to keep up the Protein requirements. Isopure' date=' eating Proteins first, measuring and weighing in order to ensure I'm getting enough, and 90 days post-op, my hair is falling out like crazy. I've had to have it cut short in order not to look like a fuzzball when the new growth comes in. The doctor keeps assuring me this is "temporary" but I have to say I'm pretty disappointed that in spite of forcing myself to do the Protein shakes (gross) and sitting at the table for an hour after everyone else is gone in order to finish that @#@# chicken breast, my hair is still falling out.

CE[/quote']

I am right there with you CE, my hair fell out so bad. I am now 4 months post op an it started coming out bad at three months. I did what you did cut it low so it cab grow back even. I like you tried to up my protein but my doctor told me to start taking a Vitamin called Biotin. I have been using it an i can tell its starting to grow back.

I am right here feeling the same way. Currently as I type this, I am eating my breakfast of two eggs and cheese to get my nutrients in. I don't feel like eating but know I have to or I will lose my last 20 lbs too fast. I now eat to live not live to eat which is a good thing. :D:lol::rolleyes:

Unfortunately, if you read through the threads, Hair loss happens at three months. Its probably caused by the shock your system is going through. From what I've seen, there's no way to stop it. All you can do is try to stimulate new growth as much as possible. And it is temporary. I'm scared of it too, but its the price we pay

90 days after?! wow! My mom had the lap band 10 years ago and she insists she never had any issues with hairloss' date=' but i guess thats because its a different surgery. ..... i usually go to the support meetings that my surgeon organizes, and it is sad how 99%of the ladies whio attend..... are BALD! or wearing wigs....[/quote']

I had the band 3 years ago and lost a pretty good amount of hair. No where near balding. Hoping that doesn't happen this time. I would be deviated if I lost that much

Sent from my SCH-I800 using VST

I too have to force myself to eat, and I no longer have the same desire for food that I once had and it makes me very sad. I am four weeks out and definitely going through a grieving process. I really thought I would still enjoy food - just in smaller quantities. I am mortified to hear that lots of people are losing their hair. When I talked to my doctor about this he made me feel like it was rare and I shouldn't worry about it...and then I read tons of posts on here of people losing their hair. To top that off I am sick everyday and have tons of heartburn. I cry almost daily. Why the F**K did I do this to myself??????

I too have to force myself to eat' date=' and I no longer have the same desire for food that I once had and it makes me very sad. I am four weeks out and definitely going through a grieving process. I really thought I would still enjoy food - just in smaller quantities. I am mortified to hear that lots of people are losing their hair. When I talked to my doctor about this he made me feel like it was rare and I shouldn't worry about it...and then I read tons of posts on here of people losing their hair. To top that off I am sick everyday and have tons of heartburn. I cry almost daily. Why the F**K did I do this to myself??????[/sup']

Hang in there. Four weeks out is still new. The heartburn is usually taken care of by Pariet or some such which you take at night for the first 90 days ( or at least that's my dr's protocol).

And I hear you about the grieving process. I did the same thing, and still sometimes have the mental craving to just eat anything I want. The enjoyment of food comes back, but with it comes a new kind of pleasure. I eat so little now that I take great enjoyment in eating good food. (Think "expensive" lol). I'm 95 days out, and today I had a beautiful, thinly sliced piece of rare roast beef with the loveliest sliver of Manchego cheese. I savoured every bite (slowly) and there was no downside. I am delighted to know that I will be able to appreciate food again, but in a different way.

I am losing hair, but have done more research - it's not completely preventable since it's primarily caused by the surgery itself and the wls. It is temporary and can be helped by taking Biotin, making sure you get enough Iron, and use a Shampoo like Nioxin.

Really - this is a huge change and everything may seem sucky or WTF?! now, but it does get better.

CE