Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massachusetts Bandsters Chat

Luv2teech, I'm pretty much in the same boat with the "secret". I decided not to tell either, I really didn't want any of the opinions that so many are quick to offer who really have no clue what we go through. My family would worry. Only my partner and a few at work on a need to know only have been informed. (and several of them have had gastric!) bottom line, it's none of there business anyway!

Cheri, I think part of the problem for me is that I "never looked THAT fat" in anyone's eyes. When I finally told my mother a few weeks ago that I actually tipped the scales at an all time high of 314, she nearly fell over. Mind you, even at 314 I only wore a size 22 pant..... I just didn't want anyone to diminish my weight issue any longer or tell me if I just worked harder, the weight would come off. I was a scholarship athlete at a well respected Division 1 school here, in Boston. I worked out regularly my entire life, for at least an hour a day. I am certainly not lazy, and I've never had any other health issues--

I knew they wouldn't approve and I knew they wouldn't agree with my choice. So, I did what has been best for me. My family thinks I've been working out more and visiting with a nutritionist regularly--which I have! So while I didn't tell them about the surgery, I did have to explain a 65 pound weightloss somehow....

Hi All--

I'm out in Western MA but get to Boston a fair amount for work. I'm beginning to think (dream!) about getting to goal weight. It's very clear that I'm going to need to have the girls done. I'm thinking that it would make sense to have that done in Boston. Where do you think I should get it done? Brigham & Womens? Does anyone have a suggestions about who has a good rep for this? Can I do it before goal weight -- or wait for a while? How long of a wait will it be to get my first evaluation appointment---then wait for a surgery date?

Hi All--

I'm out in Western MA but get to Boston a fair amount for work. I'm beginning to think (dream!) about getting to goal weight. It's very clear that I'm going to need to have the girls done. I'm thinking that it would make sense to have that done in Boston. Where do you think I should get it done? Brigham & Womens? Does anyone have a suggestions about who has a good rep for this? Can I do it before goal weight -- or wait for a while? How long of a wait will it be to get my first evaluation appointment---then wait for a surgery date?

Hey go to Brigham and Womens and go to Dr. Julian Pribaz he's the best there is. Did surgery on my daughters leg when she had an accident in 1988 and did her nose job and breast surgery in 2005. He's top notch in the Boston area.

Any women need clothes for a fall/winter vacation? I have a bunch of clothes--mostly 18's and a few small 20's that I'd love to pass off to someone. (Some are barely used, others still in good condition or I wouldn't pass them along!) I gave so much to charity already, and since they're technically out of season, I can't give my charity shorts, capris, and skorts. I also have 2 fall/winter coats, both a size 3X. If you're interested in meeting up somewhere and taking them off my hands, please let me know. I don't want to mail as they're far too heavy! Let me know if you're interested! :wink_smile:

Edited by notateechanow

Hey go to Brigham and Womens and go to Dr. Julian Pribaz he's the best there is. Did surgery on my daughters leg when she had an accident in 1988 and did her nose job and breast surgery in 2005. He's top notch in the Boston area.

oh thats good info, I would rather stay at B + W since I had my surgery there.

any know the criteria for insurance covering reduction?

Hey everyone - i was glad to finally find a mass group - i am deb was recently banded august 12 - have begun to lose to some weight and saw dr glasgow thru norwood hospital - i am on south shore and would love to find some one local to chat with - this is one crazy experience i get my first fill tomorrow - scared of the needle but will deal for the effects - have begun excercising again also went to yoga today and have been walking treadmill few nights a week - thanks for all you do with this site is has been so helpful to me as i experience things this gives me such a great forum to come see if anyone else feels the same - Hope to talk with you all soon

deb

Tigerlilyhair:

Hi Deb:

I was banded by Dr. Adam Glasgow almost a year and a half ago. I think they are fabulous over there, both the doctors and the staff are terrific. They've helped me to lose almost 150 pounds and I'm 6 pounds from goal!

Maybe I'll catch you at support group sometime. I think that the next support group meeting is on 9/23.

Don't worry about the fill. Dr. G. will be gentle. I haven't had to have a fill since May, but they've all been pretty easy. He'll have you lay back and put a pillow up under your back. I think that he uses a novacaine first, and then the fill. It hardly hurts. I usually just make small talk and look at the ceiling and then it's over. He's going to have you do liquids on Monday, then mushies on Tuesday, then food on Wednesday. I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Take care.

Sue

Hi Deb, by now you have gone for your first fill, hope it went well. I also went for a fill today, I think my 7th ! she only put in a tiny tiny amount as we were on the fence as to if I needed it. figured I was there so might as well. Now that I see just how little it was .1cc, to make it an even 3, anyone know if I really have to do liquids and then mushy ? seems silly. (but I am doing it) I have never had any novicane/ or ever felt I needed it. It's generally just a little prick and over with quick. only had it once where it was a bit uncomfortable but I surived! there is a lot more to this whole process, than just getting banded, it's not the end all for some of us. I did manage to lose 10 lbs since my last visit, but 2 lbs a month average isn't the most inspiring. I only got the "little" lecture. I'm still happy , at least it's 2 down and not 2 up! It's been a bad couple months on the home front, my choices haven't been great. BUT I plan to hang in there!

Edited by cheri52
wasn't finished hit a wrong button in the dark!

hey chris

i did go for a dr visit yesterday i had lost 3 lbs since i saw him to have my staples removed 2 weeks ago so he said i didnt need a fill yet to wait 2 more weeks ugggg i have also been killin myself at the gym trying so hard to live new healthy lifestyle as disapointed not to get a fill i have been hungry and looking for food all the time so i think the next 2 weeks will be hard for me so i digress - will keep p the fight though thouroughly believe it is worth it !

hey chris

i did go for a dr visit yesterday i had lost 3 lbs since i saw him to have my staples removed 2 weeks ago so he said i didnt need a fill yet to wait 2 more weeks ugggg i have also been killin myself at the gym trying so hard to live new healthy lifestyle as disapointed not to get a fill i have been hungry and looking for food all the time so i think the next 2 weeks will be hard for me so i digress - will keep p the fight though thouroughly believe it is worth it !

Sometimes when I mention how hard I've been hitting the gym the doctor is more likely to give me a fill......A few times he was in doubt because I was losing the 1-2 pounds a week, but with working out over an hour 6 days a week.....2 weeks isn't that bad though. You'll get there! Good luck. Keep up the good work.

Hi! I am new to this site, only found out about it tonight at the support meeting, from two nice ladies I met.

I had surgery July, 2007 and am down 75 pounds. I feel GREAT!!

Best thing I have done in my life.

Tova:tongue:

Hi! I am new to this site, only found out about it tonight at the support meeting, from two nice ladies I met.

I had surgery July, 2007 and am down 75 pounds. I feel GREAT!!

Best thing I have done in my life.

Tova:tongue:

Welcome, Tova! Great to "see" you made it here! I really enjoyed meeting you tonight and hope to be able to continue to use you as my guide and advisor! Thanks for giving us hope! :thumbup:

Hi Tova! It was so great to meet and talk to you last night. The time just flew by!

Look forward to future meetings and thank you for your support and advice

~Mel

It was great meeting both of you last night. Your positive exciting attitude was sooo contagious. I know I wont be able to make it to next month's meeting, but I hope to see you in November.

It is so nice to give a face to people I meet on these sites

Tova:thumbup: