Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massachusetts Bandsters Chat

thanks sue and cheri52 for your encouragement and would appreciate some ongoing support!!!

I am a curves drop out (over the last 3 years) so it's interesting to hear of the new workout there. I have a left foot (bone spur/plantar fascititis) so even walking has become difficult. I had some pt prior to surgery to work on this issue to hopefully resolve it but it's not...so more to do there. And, did Water aerobics in Jan/Feb...that was ok but costly. i so *get it* that exercise is needed and have had good results from it in the past when motivated...and frankly, why do this if I don't intend to get moving, right???? it's attitude adjustment time fo rme...

Dr Nepomnayshy did my lb surgery and my first fill is scheduled for May 19th. I've only had Corinne for pre op appts but my fill appt is with Pam. nervous about anyone touching my port incision area...perhaps by appt time this will not be an issue.

thanks for 'listening'!

Hay Liz, that's what we are here for! Support for each other :thumbup: .the band does more than just suck in our bellies, it ties us all together. I have the left heal bone spur also, I got a Dr. apt. for it tomorrow, not that I have much hope of a fix. Maybe a cort. shot. done all the other simple things like the stretching exercises, heal support, etc, etc. I do wear the gel heels by Dr.Scholls and got Croc shoes. they have made it a little better, the Crocs helped lots at first and I'm sure without them it would be much worse, but I want it GONE:cursing: . I put the gells in my gym shoes, the Curves doesn't seem it make a difference one way or the other.

I think the port will be better by then. I have never met Corinne, the two seem to keep with there respective Drs. You'll like Pam, she's a sweetie!

My name is Sherri from Mass. Had the Lap Band March of 07. I'm confused, annoyed and frustrated! I can't seem to get on the Lap Band wagon! In the beginning, I lost about 20-25 lbs but since then, I have gained most of it if not all of it back. I don't know how to restart and get back on track. I forget how to eat like a lapbander! I don't really get that full feeling but if I get a fill, I'm afraid I won't be able to get anything down. UGH

Sherry, Let me get this stright, you never had a fill??? That's like putting in a swimming pool and not putting in any water! Sounds like you aren't getting much support. You have nothing to fear about the fills. They only put in a little at a time and with each fill you should be instructed to drink something before you leave the Dr. office. So the worse that could happen with an over fill would be that you would have to go on Protein Drinks till you could get an unfill. and OMG, you might lose some wt. in the process! sounds like a win to me:rolleyes2:. So far I've had 6 fills, it's generally a slow process, not something that is to be afraid of unless maybe getting back to the office is a real problem. But again, I think we all have enough reserve that we won't starve:lol:. I have heard of a few that don't need much if any fill, but I'm sure you and me are not one of them, otherwise we would be skinny by now! Maybe you could find a support group?? or maybe you could join the preband classes for a refresher?

How do you start? Make an appointment for a fill.....easy. you already did the hard part.

Hi Sherri, So when I hadn't heard any replys, I decided to do a little research into your delima and found that you did indeed have fills and there is more to the problem. It was a little vague from only this post. It seems that you are having some of the same problems with the PBing, etc. that I have had in the past. (and OCC. now!) My nut. and NP gave me a few suggestions that seemed to help. there first is that I am probably not fully accepting the ideas of changing eating habits. I tend to eat too fast, even if it is only the 1st bit. That is usually the one that gets "stuck". Like a golf ball in the throat followed by sliming. It's just great! :) Usually I can wait it out and in about 20 min. resume with no problem. either the 1 st bite was too big, too dry, or not chewed well enough. Also if I am stressed or in a hurry it is not a good thing. I have found that I can not eat 1st thing in the am like I used to. I have coffee first , wait a couple hrs and it all goes better. We really do have to rethink how and what we eat. Usually when it happens to me now, I think I did nothing wrong, then I hear my honey in the back ground "You ate that too fast!":unsure:

There are other lower calorie foods that go down easier. I have gone to eggbeaters in the am. About 1/3 of the box , sprinke with a little cheese, and a slice of turkey bacon for flavor. I found it has to be done in the pan and not the micro. Crazy! but it gets stuck if I use the micro. It's moister. Moisture seem to be the key!!!! You can make a ground turkey "chili" that is soft and moist with Beans , can tomatoes etc. (got a recipe if you like) You just HAVE to stay away from DRY foods! A soft meat loaf made with ground turkey is good. I put in a lot of milk to make it soft. Also a thick spag. sauce with the ground meat , gr. peppers, etc. with only a little bit of well cooked Pasta mixed in works well for me. I think you can get the idea. SLOW and MOIST.......really, it works, Good luck, keep us posted:thumbup:

I love this MA thread...... I am Lahey clinic LP person too and I am glad to see that Lahey is represented effectively on the thread.

I was banded on 01/21/08--- and I am just getting out of bandster hell ---- boy i could not get it right at that time. Was loosing weight really slowly --- but now I have finally gotten my much needed restriction after three fills --- and it feel damn good to be full!!!!!!!!

I am exercising a whole lot because I totally enjoy it, it does not feel like a chore and since its spring, its pretty motivating. I am doing CURVES as well as walking four miles a day ( I am walking two miles to work and back) and it does not feel like a chore at all. I am looking forward to the day when I can start running like all the regular folks along the Charles River.... As am doing this my pounds will drop, but in the meantime I am focused on eating small amounts and exercising a lot.

BANDSTER HELL WAS HELL INDEED!!!!!!! am glad its over.

Welcome ! Yes it's HELL! Glad to hear it is over for you. I'm definately close, maybe there but not sure, time will tell. I definately have restriction, but enough??? now that is the question. Pam definately takes it slow with me because getting back to the office in a hurry is a really difficult thing for me. have never had to because we do take it slow.

Liz, sorry, I forgot to add this , there isn't really too much to prepare for for the 1st fill. It's pretty simple. I didn't feel much of anything and was hungry after. My biggest mistake was that I didn't take anything to eat/drink for after. I had lunch about 2 hrs. before I went, no one said not to. I was on the road and had not provided for the full liquids you will be on for the 1st 24 hrs. (then another 24 of mushy) So, later, around 8 pm, still on the "road" I decided I could take a bite....Just a little one! very,very well chewed.....of a roasted chicken I got at BJ's to take home. Well...stupid stupid stupid woman I am:puke::frown: I got my first , hard lesson in ALL the nasty side affects they warn about. So.... your prep is to take a Protein Drink with you. You will be hungry.....good luck

Hi all...checking back in...going in for first fill on Monday, May 19th..I'm such a wuss that I hope it won't hurt...sorry...is it ok to whine a little here?

went to lahey clinic's post op support group last night. there were 2 of us until a third guy arrived and OMG, i didn't recognize him from the behavior group in jan... he's lost 60 pounds since his gastric bypass in late march...almost made me wish I'd had gbs instead...

then we found out that there was a nutrition and exercise group being held last night too but who knew???

did the north shore support group ever materialize?

I didnt think the Lap band group was on Tuesday May 13th, I thought its on the last Tuesday evening of every month?

It looks like you have lost 50lbs in a year. and you have had 6 fills!! When does one know that this fill is working! I have had two fills in a 4cc band, and I thought I had it under control. I am exercising a whole lot but the scale is not budging. Which begs to tell me that I dont have the food thing under control. At my last weigh in at Curves, I gained TWO pounds back, but lost five inches overall. How are people getting the great drop down numbers? Am I a more compulsive eater than I thought I was? To the extent that I have a delusional image of what i am truly taking in. I think and feel I need help but dont know who and how to ask for it.

I didnt think the Lap band group was on Tuesday May 13th, I thought its on the last Tuesday evening of every month?

There are 2 support group nights at Lahey Clinic in Burlington (that I am aware of anyway): Second Tuesday evening of every month for post op lifestyle management and Last Tuesday evening of every month. The difference between the groups is that the second Tuesday night is for post op patients ONLY.

Edited by lizb88

It looks like you have lost 50lbs in a year. and you have had 6 fills!! When does one know that this fill is working! I have had two fills in a 4cc band, and I thought I had it under control. I am exercising a whole lot but the scale is not budging. Which begs to tell me that I dont have the food thing under control. At my last weigh in at Curves, I gained TWO pounds back, but lost five inches overall. How are people getting the great drop down numbers? Am I a more compulsive eater than I thought I was? To the extent that I have a delusional image of what i am truly taking in. I think and feel I need help but dont know who and how to ask for it.

Very good!.....when you start losing...... probably ......and very possible. I asked that very question to one of them and basically they are eating VERY little! the exercise part I think I'm in the ball park with, and people are now really noticing how good(better) I'm looking and asking me for diet info:lol: I find that a scream. If I eat as the great lbs. droppers do I'm still starved and where as I'm not losing as fast , the NP and I decided to go for more fill. I also think the fast losers are probably more motivated, or commited , or just plain have more GD self control than the rest of us. OR when the band stops them from eating either from being well tuned in to their body and knowing when they are full, or they just get that lump in the throat or get sick and forget the whole thing and don't eat. I'm very stuborn and don't give up. If I want it and it doesn't go down well, I just wait and try again later and generally have no problem the next time. I find it very hard to give up all the old habits. I'm surrounded by well meaning people that constantly try to get me to eat their "goodies" and I'm just a weak peice of S....... :thumbup: . so, you're on to me. don't listen to me, I'm not a good role model. :thumbup: ps, the NP suggested that maybe I needed a shrink. I'm rambling and sinking in the mud.

The bottom line is that this is ONLY a tool , the rest is still just another damm diet. oops, sorry, a "life style change" so if your heads not ready, it ain't gona work!

I will take this moment though to mention that I have lost 97 lbs from my life time high. AND, if I'm not sure of anything else, I AM sure I will not gain it back, and that my friends, is the band!

Very good!.....when you start losing...... probably ......and very possible. I asked that very question to one of them and basically they are eating VERY little! the exercise part I think I'm in the ball park with, and people are now really noticing how good(better) I'm looking and asking me for diet info:lol: I find that a scream. If I eat as the great lbs. droppers do I'm still starved and where as I'm not losing as fast , the NP and I decided to go for more fill. I also think the fast losers are probably more motivated, or commited , or just plain have more GD self control than the rest of us. OR when the band stops them from eating either from being well tuned in to their body and knowing when they are full, or they just get that lump in the throat or get sick and forget the whole thing and don't eat. I'm very stuborn and don't give up. If I want it and it doesn't go down well, I just wait and try again later and generally have no problem the next time. I find it very hard to give up all the old habits. I'm surrounded by well meaning people that constantly try to get me to eat their "goodies" and I'm just a weak peice of S....... :thumbup: . so, you're on to me. don't listen to me, I'm not a good role model. :thumbup: ps, the NP suggested that maybe I needed a shrink. I'm rambling and sinking in the mud.

The bottom line is that this is ONLY a tool , the rest is still just another damm diet. oops, sorry, a "life style change" so if your heads not ready, it ain't gona work!

I will take this moment though to mention that I have lost 97 lbs from my life time high. AND, if I'm not sure of anything else, I AM sure I will not gain it back, and that my friends, is the band!

Amen Cheri!

I have lost rather quickly in the first 6 months 97lbs. However, I had a lot to lose to begin with so I think that is why I lost so quickly. It wasn't until the 2 months that I saw a slow down. You see, I did most of my weight loss with little to no exercise. It just seemed to melt off. I wasn't eating a diet per se, just eating lower quantities of food somewhere between 1200-1500 calories. I like you agree that the band is just a tool and we must work it and that I won't ever gain this weight back. Although, when faced with the daunting fact that you have to lose 179lbs it seems like a mountain but I have climbed over half the mountain and now is going to be the tough part.

Now I am having to rethink my whole process. I have started Water aerobics which I do 5 days a week and I am doing some strength training. I am trying real hard to eat high Protein & low carb because my friggin hair is falling out for the rapid weight loss. I am so uncertain that this will work but I am willing to try it and am more determined than ever to get the last 80 or so pounds off.

I was thrilled to see that you have had 6 fills with 2.9cc's in your band. I had my 5th fill this week and have 2.25cc's in my band. From what I have been able to figure the sweet spot is anywhere between 2.5 & 3.0cc's in a 4 cc band. So maybe we will get there eventually, but I can't complain and won't because I have 100lbs give or take less on this body now and I still way smaller portions than I ever did and for that I am grateful.

Good post...even got a chuckle. Keep up the great job and attitude. We will conquer.

Cindy

Cheri and Cindy:

I totally agree with it getting harder to lose. I've been playing around with the same three pounds for a month now. It does get a bit discouraging.

I think it's important to focus on all accomplished so far when there's a lull in the weightloss. I try to think about the fact that I can wear size 16's instead of 26/28's. I also try to think about how much younger I feel - about 20 years younger! I also think about how much better shape I'm in physically. I was able to ride my trikke/and walk for almost 2 hours at once today.

So, try to focus on the positive, follow the bandster rules, and we'll all get over the plateaus and to goal. It's a war, and we've won alot of battles already, but we have more to keep fighting.:woot:

Take care.

Sue

Well, today's the day...I'm officially 6 weeks post op and off to have my first fill at 1 p.m. So, I think I've been reading too many threads on the forum because I'm quite anxious about not being poked and prodded...and if my port is in a good spot for easy access. I've also read that it's possible that no fill will be added...some people don't receive fills. I just won't know until I get there will I? I'm not sure what my weight is today because I purposefully don't keep a scale in my house..prefer to use the one at the bariatric clinic as 'the one' that keeps the number....