Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massachusetts Bandsters Chat

sherry

hi there would love to make it on the 23rd. finally meet you and to see chris again. i am off that weekend and can stay at the kids house.

maybe talk michelle into going, but thats hard cuz she always running with the kids

deb

Hey Deb We'd love to have ya! That would be great to finally meet ya! Michelle is more than welcome too if she can make it. It's going to be a getting to know ya meeting and then we'll decide from there how often to have them :eek: We're hoping to have something at least once a month or once every other month, that would be cool and much easier than getting into Boston for meetings. I just haven't been able to get in there for them :eek: So I hope you can come on down. Hopefully the weather will be on our side. I'll PM my addy to ya

:tt1:Happy Valentines everyone!!! :thumbup: actually, where is everyone? things are VERY quiet around here!

Janet, how was your fill? I went last Monday on the 11th and it was the best one yet! she got it on the first try in just seconds, it was just amazingly easy. still, hope it's my last. time will tell. I did well at the weigh in and they were pleased, which was very pleasing to me. We think it is the stepped up exercise plan. I'm also begining to feel some restriction now. We think that is getting close. it was a good session, I picked her brain once again as to why it's taking so many fill, I guess I got it! we are all very different and they are very careful! Well, hope to be seeing some activity on here, be good everyone:wub:

Hi Cheri52,

Thank you for asking, I was wondering the same thing, where was everyone, that is why I stayed away, silly huh.

Anyway, My last fill went alot better, My NP said that each time will be different.

So yesterday I was eating chicken and it definitely got stuck, I just slowed down, calmed down and walked around, it hurt alot, but went down, hurt again, went down some more. So at least I am starting to get restriction.

I just wish I understood why I have a nonstop feeling in the chest/lung area, it seems that it is part of the restriction, but why all the time, I thought, other than having a "tight" sensation when eating, that other than that you would feel "normal", not feeling the band inside of you.

I wish I wasn't such a worry wart about everything to do with the band.

Janet:rolleyes2:

HI Janet, yes, very silly! I don't understand the tight in the chest thing being anything to do with restriction. I've been around on these pages for a while and never heard of that condition in relation to the band. I think I would have them check into it a little more seriously. If it is the band then maybe there is something in "how" you are eating. I don't really know, just that it is not the norm. so far as I have heard. Anyone else have a clue???

the only time I experienced a similar feeling was years ago when I was in the middle of my divorce and I thought I was handleing it okay. My boss, a registered nurse told me to get to the Dr. It turned out, after a bunch of tests, to be stress!!! once I got him gone, so was the stress AND the chest issues. :thumbup: So maybe you could be a little stressed with all this? I know I was..........:biggrin: need to do something relaxing and try to settle into this. It will all be okay! I'm about to go out into the hottub and unwind. find what calms you and go for it. talk later, Jo

Countrygirl - You really shouldn't have that feeling all the time. I'd definately talk to your doc about that. Have you tried taking a tums? Just wondering if it's stomach acid causing irritation but, not so bad that it's coming up at ya? I know I do have more sensations with my band during TOM but, nothing that seems to feel how you're describing. I hope it gets better for you.

Hi Cheri52,

Thank you for asking, I was wondering the same thing, where was everyone, that is why I stayed away, silly huh.

Anyway, My last fill went alot better, My NP said that each time will be different.

So yesterday I was eating chicken and it definitely got stuck, I just slowed down, calmed down and walked around, it hurt alot, but went down, hurt again, went down some more. So at least I am starting to get restriction.

I just wish I understood why I have a nonstop feeling in the chest/lung area, it seems that it is part of the restriction, but why all the time, I thought, other than having a "tight" sensation when eating, that other than that you would feel "normal", not feeling the band inside of you.

I wish I wasn't such a worry wart about everything to do with the band.

Janet-

I am having that stuck feeling a lot since my 2nd fill. I hate it. I am not sure if it is that I am not chewing well or if I am taking too big a bite. I kind of get the same feeling in my chest. Sort of like it gets stuck in the chest. I know that it isn't stuck there but it sure does feel like it.

One good thing is that I haven't slimed or pb'd and I want to ensure that it doesn't happen. I am really learning to slow down and chew chew chew. I now understand why they emphasized the chew chew chew rule. I guess since I haven't had restriction yet that I was just getting by with it but now it really is hurting to eat. I need to nip this in bud asap or I am in for trouble.

Good luck!

Cindy

Thanks Girls,

yeah, I got stuck with left over salmon (reheated), it becomes tough like chicken, so that didn't work for me, I gave it to my dogs (lucky them:tongue2:). I don't know what that constant feeling is either, I did bring it up to the docs but they were not sure or too worried, they thought it was connected to the heartburn I was having which may be connected to an ulcer that I have. I am probably not chewing sufficiently because I feel like I haven't had to due to having no restriction. I know I need to change my ways, maybe that would fix the problem, I just think it is an unexplained wierd constant feeling that I certanly have never felt before, I have stress and heart issues but none that feel like this, this feels like in the center of my lungs and almost feels like when a drink goes down the wrong pipe and you cough and cough because of the irritation, that is sort of what it feels like.

Well, this thursday will be 2 weeks after my last fill and the NP said to call for another fill if I am still not restricted, that will be my 5th fill

The other thing I thought, is maybe it is taking me so many fills and so much time because perhaps my stomach was very small in diameter and it takes more saline to expand the band to reach the small diameter of my stomach. What do you think??

Hi Janet and all.

I have had no restriction and have had 3 fills in a 4cc band..and its frustrating..I've gained 13 lbs back already (!) since Oct. when I was banded.

My last fill was last Thursday with still no restriction. My surgeon said to make an appt. for 3 weeks rather than the 5-6 as usual..I did make a new appt. yesterday. It's not exercise with me..I work out at the gym 2x a week and I teach Water aerobics 3x a week..it's most surely the hunger and the eating..and my metabolism I guess.:confused2:

jude

Hello Everyone! Just putting up a reminder for the SouthShore folks that we're putting together a gathering at my place in Taunton, MA on Saturday, February 23rd at 1pm. Some have PMd me for the address already and we're looking forward to meeting you! If you'd like to attend please PM me for the address. No need to bring anything with you, we'll supply the Water, coffee, tea, and cocoa. We're hoping we can get a local self support group going and perhaps discuss different topics each week. Just seeing if we can help each other out a bit and at the same time put faces to the screen names we chat with here :)

Hope you can make it!

Hey Jude,

hang in there, I feel your pain, I wish I knew the answer, All I can do is just hope and pray that one of these fills will do the trick. Some days I just wish it would all click and some days i want to give up. Where did you have your surgery done??

I am definitely not waiting the 5-6 weeks, I spoke to the NP last fill time and she said go ahead and shorten the length between fills to see if we can speed this up, they unfortunately still have to be conservative with the amount of the cc's given at each fil, Protocol.

SherryW, I think it is great that you girls are getting together, I wish I could, you are quite far from me, But have fun, get support. If anyone lives up by me, I would be willing to have a get together like this. Let me know

Janet :)

Hello-

I am very anxious to join as a hopefully soon to be MA bandster - I have my surgeon and nutritionist appointment in one week!!

Anyone use Harvard Pilgrim HMO? I am seeing Dr T at Brigham and Womens - they have been tremendous so far!

:)

Hi Janet and thanks for the support.

I was banded at Faulkner Hospital in JP by Dr. Mun.

And welcome Aqua!;)

Hi everyone, just wanted to check in and put in. There does seem to be hope for us all, after 5 fills I think I FINALLY have restriction!!!:biggrin2: AND, I think I am finally doing better with my choices (most of the time:blush:) the "real" hunger in the belly seems to be gone most of the time, the "head" hunger is improving. That is the one that is difficult to control. thinking I want something when I really don't need it . I'm trying to stop and figure it out rather than go for the impulse. I find now with this last fill that I am not hungry for much longer than before and when I do eat, I fill up on less.

For all you getting stuck, moisture is so very important. anything dry, such as the salmon, and most meats, can be difficult. I found ground turkey to be one of the easiest to go down, just don't dry it out. eat slow and swallow small well chewed bits. the further you get into to this the more important that becomes. the band has a definate learning curve to it. in general , you got issues, you're not learning! I speak from the heart and MUCH experience with the "issues":lol: seems I'm a slow learner!;)

Jude, when you are working out in the gym, are you doing aerobics or just weights? got to get the heart rate up to rev up the metabolism. the Water workout is great but doesn't burn as many calories as on land.

I also have a theory that when we get out of surgery and are on liquids and greatly reduced calories, we distroy our metabolism. Then when we can eat again, and eat we do! cuz we have NO restriction at first, then it's even harder to maintain or lose as our bodys have just gone into starvation mode conserving calories for the upcoming famine. I've been told that to prevent this every 4 days or so we should eat a few hundred calories more than usual just to trick our body into losing. I like the idea!

Hi Jo

thanks for the reply..

re: the strength training. I do 1/2 hour on the recumbent bike and go a total of 3 mi. Its aerobic.. and then the rest on the machines. Totals an hour.

Yes I know, the Water is great for aerobics but I have been participating and teaching for over 10 years now without significant weight loss..unless I am on a restrictive diet..and I will gain that back in a flash once not dieting..:lol: