Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massachusetts Bandsters Chat

hello everyone, i'm new to this forum and joined because I have some concerns afer just recently having the band surgery done on 1/11/08!! I've lost 10 pounds so far and feeling great with the exception of some pain at the port area. After the first week, I felt great!! Then a couple days later, I think I pushed myself to far, I've had pain in the port area. It hurts the most first thing in the morning, after a couple hours it isn't so bad. I work at home so i'm lucky and can relax a bit when needed. I called the dr and they beleive I irritated the sutures that are holding the port in place and the only thing I can do is let it heal... Is anyone or has anyone had the same problem??? Part of me is nervous, part of me is not. The dr doesn't seem to be concerned.... Should I??:tt1:

Hi Sherry, I've seen you around on the threads before, I was just trying to help out countrygirl(Janet) , please feel free to jump in with any advise! That isn't quite true, I do chew well, but on occasion if I'm in a hurry, I forget and have eaten a little too fast and ended up in trouble. But it's not usually a big problem, just a "reminder" , nothing has even gotten "stuck" but it might come up! or, my throat might get what I call a spasam , usually though it is WHAT I eat rather than HOW I ate it that is the problem. It's a learning process!

Mtnihi, sounds familiar, I remember the port area hurting for awhile. it takes some time, probably hurts more in the morning from sleeping on it or moving in the night. I wouldn't be too concerned, but if the pain gets really bad i would double check that with the Dr. AND........:tt1: welcome!

Hi SheryyW,

I dont have the "need" to chew the food well or it wont go down.

I know that is one of the rules, but I never get stuck, pb or froth.

Yesterday, all day I had a bad day of heartburn, but I think it is because I overate too much, probably too quick the night before.

So I don't think I could be overfilled, everything goes down with no immediate problems.

Last night, I tried to eat a smaller amount and chewed well. This am, the heartburn is gone, but my stomach still doesn't feel all that perfect.

I probably do need more of a fill, but I have a fear of my fills now, my last one was horrible, I am tipped and have tons of scar tissue and it doesn't feel good at all.

I am trying so hard to be patient and positive, and just need this to work for me, I get real down about it sometimes.

Janet

cheri52,

Yup, I had Dr. Bram, Corrine, and Karen

My last fill was not good, Corrine said that I am tipped and have tons of scar tissue, I was painful and just a horrible experience, so I am not looking forward to haveing more fills, but obviously I may need one.

I am tring to stick to all the rules.

I have a healthy brand of Peanut Butter on toast for Breakfast or eggs with cheese, or a grilled cheese and turkey for Breakfast.< /p>

lunch is chicken or lowfat cheese with whatever

dinner is the same,

Snacks are yogurts, fruits, nuts, popcorn etc...

I was on a NO sugar & flour food plan once and my hair fell out like this too, I ate protien, I dont know. someone else mentioned that it could be a lack of Vitamin B also.

I will call the nutritionist at Lahey, my appt is next week, usually with Karen, but this time I think it is with Deb.

I am going to the gym today, will weigh myself there and see if I have lost anything since my last fill 2 weeks ago.

Again, thank you for your support

Janet

Hi Folks, I just found the Massachusetts forum, I have posted in other areas. Haven'y been on in a while, I have been a little discouraged .. up and down over the past couple of months. My doctor is very conservative with the saline, am going only for my 3rd fill next week. 1CC at a time - it's a 6CC band. I've got to get motivated - I just can't seem to get "unstuck". Anyone have this issue ? Thanks Carol

Hi btlbailey (Carol) - Yeap been there, done that and doing it again right now haha. It is hard and what we need to remember is our bodies do have to catch up and adjust with us. I had a year of no weight loss due to reflux issues so I know all too well what you mean. A whole year was gone but, you know....I realized I just had to give myself that time to heal and get comfy again with my body and band. I was finally able to get a fill again and I initially lose weight with that again 8 pounds went without having to do much work then I was stuck at the same weight for another 3-4 weeks. I finally decided in order to lose I needed to MOVE and track my calorie intake...that got the scale moving again then the HOLIDAYS came grrrr. I did good up until New Years week and a weekend at the in-laws. Away from home, having only their foods and all those dang holiday Cookies UGH. Trying to get myself back on track. You might want to give it a whirl logging your food if you're not doing that. It's not easy, take discipline but, it works! now....if I can only listen to myself :rolleyes2: and get going on that again :smile:

Countrygirljtl, janet - The acid part just gets me nervous after what I went through. I can tell you, I didn't get stuck either when I had that happen. I could eat just about anything other than doughy breads or pork yet, it would happen and keep me up at night. I had an 1/2 unfill and it did the trick, allowed things to heal and then I slowly did the fills again. Believe me when I say...a fill isn't worth more acid reflux. I even got a prescription from my PCP for reflux meds but, it didn't work. Going slow on my fills had really helped, my last fill brought a little reflux back but, after loosing another 10 it went away. The fact that you chewed really well and didn't have reflux that's a good thing. Hmmm wondering if the bigger bites make your tummy work harder to digest it so it caused more acid? Sounds logical...best bet is to call your doc and see what they say. I know I tried everything prior to the unfill...an unfill scared me :wink2: I do wish you the best with that...keep us posted on how you're doing. We have something in common....my port is tipped too. Happened I guess with losing weight because it wasn't tipped before. The last fill Dr. Jones at BIDMC wanted the intern to try but, she was too nervous with the tilt so she didn't do it. That's the first time I found out it was tilted.

Cheri - I hear ya on the occassional big bites. Don't a hate it when you forget? Oh I've done that and just as I swallowed...though...oh Lord, I shouldn't of done that. Depending on what it was is how I end up haha. If its something that will expand when hit with liquid, that's trouble for me like a cracker or Pasta noodle. Rice is a big no no for me too if it's under cooked. I find it expands and really causes an issue for me. Hence, no chinese fried rice for me...which isn't a bad thing I guess. Keeps me out of the starches :) Nothing stuck ever? wow you're one lucky gal :) I got stuck more in the beginning but, occassionally I will now too. Usually when I made the mistake of not chewing well enough and it's a tougher meat. Man that can get ugly.....Pork is NOT my friend hahha

mtnihi - Ohhh you betcha I had port pain for a while. It kinda felt like a little person inside me pulling on a string that was tied to my stomach. Yanking sometimes. I would have to hold the port area when I rolled over in bed or got up from my chair for almost 3 weeks it was that uncomfortable. I can take alot of pain too so it kind of threw me for a loop when that happened but, it does go away :) If you do too much it lasts longer though.....I know that's what I did. God forbid I actually relax enough without bending down, picking up clothes or the house. It helps to not wear pants that land in that area either or wear lose ones :) It will get better...take it easy and let yourself heal if you can :)

The hair falling out thing......whew...I think we all have a bit of that. Protein definately plays a big role in it but, don't forget we all got knocked out for surgery and that anesthesia will cause your body to react funny too. Your body goes through such a drastic change in eating too. It does get better though and evens out even though when you're holding a handful of hair it's pretty dang frightening :cool2:. Man I had quite a bit come out but, at least there was always more to replace it...too bad it didn't come in more curly though hahaha.

Question for you all......Anyone living down near the Taunton area? I'm thinking of holding a support group type meeting in this area because getting into Boston is just so darn hard at 6pm on a Thursday. Especially after working all day! Parking is tough too :) Anyone interested?

Well tomorow is 14 days after my last fill, so that is when they said that I should see a difference, I will call the nurse tomorow.

I didn't have the heartburn today, Thank God, but tonight I had stomach pains which I had before being banded, it was from an ulcer which was found prior to banding and I was put on prilosec, I haven't had a problem with that in a while, but tonight I could tell it was that same pain.

I ate very carefully today, and I guess my band area was ok, it is really hard to tell what is the discomfort because again, I have a constant ache in the chest area which I suppose is the tightness of the band, I dont really know. I ate very healthy making sure to get the protien in, I kind of blew it tonight and had some chips. I wish I didn't have the ablity to eat the junk, I didn't have many, but I thought the band would take away some of my appetite and keep me full.

Anyway, I like what you said about soon we will forget what all the worrying was about, I really hope so. As a matter of fact I was reading about what you said about how your port was so sore and felt so funny when rolling in bed and bending over, I had that same experience!! And I remember being so concerned by it, and now it is barely a memory, so I pray that all this misery with discomfort and fills/unfills and heartburn and no wieght loss, and hair falling out will be the same deal.

What keeps me going is hearing form others that they have gone through the same things and came out fine, or even those who are having great success and say that the Love their band, that gives me hope too, that the band has to work eventually.

Thanks for all your suggestions and input.

I live in Rowley on the North Shore, I am not sure where Tauten is in relationship, is it south or north of Boston??

Janet

Taunton is about 40 min south of Boston if no traffic. Rush hour traffic...like trying to get home from BIDMC at 3:30pm well that takes me about 1.5 hours UGH.

Wow! Sherry, mega info, thanks!! I'm afraid Taunton is just as much a problem as Boston. I'm on the vineyard. Pork is NOT my friend either, although I keep trying. same with ham, I made a baked ham over the weekend and just can't get it down as a "piece" so tonight I put it in the chopper and made ham salad! that works:biggrin: I cut the mayo by adding some juice from sugar free can peaches I had,but pickel juice would have been good. I found the trick is to make it nice and moist.

Janet, I always have Pam for my fills, and I got to say some are better that others. I had one difficult one and was dreading the next, and it went like a charm. there is just no way to know. I'm not "tipped" that I know of. But I was supprized at the hard one cuz my port is very easy to feel. I'm bottom heavy so the post has always been near the surface. Oh, if you haven't mentioned popcorn to Karen, DON'T! for some reason, that is a BIG NO NO. I got hell! I don't know Deb. I was more concerned with the added chest pressure that you may be having heart problems, but I guess the ulcer could be causing the pain.

Are you far from Boston? I go for my next fill 2/11. (shopping day:lol:)

I think the most important thing that I keep forgetting is that this is JUST a tool! the rest is just as hard as always. :frown: calories in /calories out, chips go down good! could have chose the bypass where eating junk comes back, trading easy and a little more sure thing for risking my life!!!OR this....this is a piece of work but I'm still sure it was the right choice:wink2:.

SherryW....I also live in Taunton, I won't be banded until Feb 12th, but I'd like to join in on any support group that you might organize.

Cheri & Sherry,

I live about 45 minutes North of Boston,

I called and spoke with Corrine on Wednesday, she said that the heartburn could be part of the symptoms associated with the ulcer and to go back on my prilosec, which I already did. I explained how I am trying to follow the rules, but no true restriction as of yet. I described the "tight" gnawing feeling in the chest area and she said that it is most likely the band starting to restrict, I think she is right because I when I did eat a smaller amount and am a little more satisfied, not as much as I would like but a little bit more, so I am going in for another fill next Thursday, I dread the fill due to the bad one that I had last time, and I hope that you are right about, it could possibly go smoother this time. My first 2 were flawless, very easy, 3rd-a nightmare. But it makes sense that the scar tissue that has build up (I can feel the hard lumps all around my port area) would cause the fill to be complicated, I just can't describe how horrible it felt though!!

Anyway, she is seeing me, I am on my prilosec, I am trying my hardest to eat/drink/exercise by the rules and get in more protien to see if I can reverse the hair issue, I did forget to tell her about the hair issue, but I wil when I see her.

Good advice about the popcorn bit, I probably won't be able to eat it once I am really restricted anyway.

So did anyone experience NO restriction after 3 fills and 4 months?? Is there hope for me??

Somtimes I worry by the time I do get the restriction that I am not going to know how to handle it, if you can understand that.

I understand the the band is just a tool, but at this point I am dieting just as I have for years with no results, I just want the tool to do something for me.

Janet

Yes! there is hope for you!!! I had very little if any either after 3 fills, I feel some now with 4 but am going for 5, I did feel full sooner on much less at 3 but I was still hungry way too soon. now I'm satisfied on about half of what I used to eat. I'm actually not sure if I need the next one or not, but I'm sure I could be losing faster so I'm going on that. What I do find is that it forces me by way of consequences to change how I eat, I think you will find as you get more fill that will happen. But, maybe not, I tend to "test" the rules:unsure::party:. I find it more of head hunger than real hunger at this point, I'm trying hard to ignore my head!! it's difficult to seperate the two sometimes. the band only helps with the ''real" without the consequences I mentioned, it's the head hunger that gets me into trouble! When you get the pbing, slimming, and all that wonderfull stuff , that is what I think of as restriction, it's like it's telling you to knock it off with the food, or I'll make your life miserable. I don't know, maybe it's just the rate at which it goes through the stomach by "restricting " the flow and thus keeping the full feeling longer, but the other works for me! anyone know the true meaning:confused:

good luck with the fill

Hi Everyone....just looking to express my fears...I am trying to be honest and openminded and up front with all my fears during this process!

I started this process back in September - sleep study, counseling, blood work, seminar, nutritionist...ya know..the whole 9 yards.

The Doc that is doing my surgery (Dr. Glasgow) who I love - he is so down to earth and helpful - his entire staff is....wel he requires 10 days pre-op of liquids...so my last Supper is Feb 15th and I am scared.......also scared for the liquids post op......what if I cant do it? How hard is it?

I need some success stories for inspiration......so please share share share.....

I am 37.....5'1" and weigh 226.....is Lapband the right choice? should I have gone the bypass route? I have been so mentally ready for this and I guess as the time gets coser I am scared and fearful it wont work.....so please be my inspiration and share your hope with me.

PS I live in Attleboro MA

Kimberly...it isn't easy, but it is worth doing. I wish I had the surgery available to me at your age. It will give you a new life, the life you wish you were living. So, tough it out. Do a better job than me, I am having a tough time with my pre-surgery diet (Feb 12th for me). Just tell yourself how important it is, suck it up and do it. Let me know how you make out. Check in with SherryW, she's organizing a support group next door to you in Taunton.

Good luck, Ted

Kimberly....Think about why you chose this surgery in the first place. I can tell you honestly and openly that everyone including myself goes through the doubting stage. The...

Why can't I just not eat as much on my own?

Why can't I just exercise more?

Why do I have to do something do drastic to myself in order to lose?

But....if you really think about it...the band is a "tool" you're still going to have to work at it but, not as hard. Your band will help you listen to your body when it says "enough". Its soooo natural that you're doubting the decision you've made. So.....you ask if you should go with gastric bypass. Again...I ask you to THINK about the reasons why you didn't. I can't tell you your reasons for Lapband vs bypass but, I can tell you mine.....Rerouting my organs to purposely malnutrion my body to me was just nuts. In my own opinion for my own life and body...that was just not an option. I wanted to know that if something should not be right I could reverse what I did and you can with the band. Your organs go back to the usual shape, size etc when the band comes out...if it has to that is. I pray mine never does. I can also tell you that I have never EVER regretted getting the band. I'm almost two years out from my surgery. I did have a year of no weightloss but, I also had NO GAIN! To me that was a miracle compared to my past. I was suffering from acid reflux so I needed to have the Fluid taken out of my band to allow that to settle down....I am fine today. More more reflux and I have Fluid back in my band. It's more work to get the weight off for me now but, I'm worth the extra effort when I want to give that to myself :rolleyes: I'm enjoying life 75-80 pounds lighter.....I don't hurt anymore, I don't need my high blood pressure meds anymore...I can walk flights of stairs and actually breath when I'm done. Oh yesss this was the best decision for me.....but, only you can answer that question for yourself.

I'm in Taunton and like Ted said...I'm trying to get a group of us together to possibly start our own support group here locally. If you're interested you are more than welcome :biggrin: