Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massachusetts Bandsters Chat

Hi Melissa, Vickie, Ariel and Sweet Caroline! Glad you all could join our post.

Vickie - I have seen your before/after pictures on the thread, and you are looking great!! I can only imagine how great it feels!

Hi Rainbow and Deezadoo!! My BIDMC gals. lol. Glad you checked in over here too.

Sorry I haven't been around much lately - it's been a busy week. I'm on my way out the door now, but just wanted to say hi. Oh, and get this, I have a date tomorrow night. Why am I doing this to myself before the band?! lol. All I can think is that I'm going to have to explain to this guy why I can't eat for over a month. lol. That should be an interesting conversation. lol. I should be so lucky to get that far, right? lol.

Well have a great night everyone!

Chris

Hi,

I am from Western Ma, too. I am 37 and have no kids, I have been married one year this week! I have been overweight on and off (mostly on) all my life, too. I just got my approval, I am having lapband surgery with Dr. Kasper at Mercy Hospital in Springfield. I have to do a two week liquid preop diet. I don't feel very nervous yet, but I am sure as time goes on I will. Nice to meet you all and best of luck!

Kris

Kristen, just out of curiosity, how did you end up at Mercy?? I didn't know that they did these surgeries there. I'm about the same age as you and I've been married 1 1/2 years! My hubby has been a wonderful supporter of my journey with this surgery. GOOD LUCK to you! I'm sure you'll do very, very well.

Caroline,

Hi, I found Mercy through Inamed, Dr. Kasper was a nearby Dr. in my area. I was thinking about going to Umass Worcester, but their program is full and takes much longer to complete. I called Kasper's office (at the time he had done 0 lapbands but hundreds of lap RNY's:omg: so I was very worried about that until I met with him.) He put me in contact with the group he works with at Weldon Rehab called Comprehensive Weight Management, they are awesome. From my first appointment to my surgery date (scheduled for September 27) was 3 months. My insurance approval was 3 days, everything is going smooth so far, I am just waiting to wake up! It feels kind of unreal, I do have to complete a 2 week preop diet starting this coming Wed. (OPTIFAST) maybe reality will kick in when I start doing that!

Kristin

has anyone heard of a support group mtg for bandsters up in billerica, run by someone named Eileen? my friend met her and passed some info onto me. i think the next mtg is next week.

Good morning. I have just joined the list and wanted to introduce myself. I have gone through all the steps, and am now waiting for my insurance company to do it's thing. I am using Dr. Fiallo in Springfield. He seems like a very caring person. Good to see others have worked with him. Keeping my fingers crossed for approval.

Hi lainer, welcome to the post! I will certainly keep my fingers crossed for your approval. I was nervous for my approval, but it came through fine. 20 days and counting!!! I can hardly believe it!

So how are my other MA bandsters doing?!

:help: Hello everyone....I just found this website and wanted to say hello to my fellow massites....I think this site is great!!! My name is Angie and I am 27 years old. Have been overweight for as long as I can remember. I am just taking starting the process to get approved for lapband surgery after years and years of failed attempts on my own.....I am here for advice and support....Any words of wisdom, advice on success stories or complications, what to ask your doctor, etc. I will take it all I am desperate...I know people that have had gastric bypass but nobody that has had lapband surgery....I think I am a little nervous that I wont get approved for the surgery but that is just me being me always very paranoid. I have over 100 pounds to lose on top of some long lasting health issues....So I am sure I will not have a problem getting approved its just the waiting game that I hate but I better get used to it....I hope to hear from all of you, I would love to talk to anyone and support each other and maybe even build long lasting friendships, I hope that everyone has a great day!!!

Hi Angie,

Welcome! We've all been where you are, in some way shape or form. If you have a BMI over 40, you should have no problem being approved. Who do you have for a health insurance company? I have Tufts, and had no problem getting approved.

I'm glad you found this site. There are a lot of wonderful people on this site and you will get a lot of information. All you have to do is ask!

Best of luck on your banding journey!

Chris

Just got my approval yesterday and am set for surgery on the 6th of October. Have to get my supplies in the house. Thanks for all the help I find here.

Hey lainer! Welcome to our post! The 6th will be here before you know it! I'm on the 2nd, so we're very close in dates. Best of luck!!

hi chrispygal,

i am going with dr schneider he is very nice! i finally have my lapband surgery!!!!! it is on november 8th- 4 days after my 30th b-day.i hope everything goes o.k.. first i have to go on october 16th for a gallbladder surgery. this should be fun,two surgeries 3 weeks apart. but it will be all worth it in the end i guess. i have blue cross blue shield of ma for ins. but i have not received the o.k. yet from them. good luck on your upcoming surgery.

hey everyone!:wave:

just wanted to wish everyone well. i also would like to meet people around here that have had this surgery. i'm a little worried about it. all the people i know that have had wls have had the RNY.

Hi Dreaminbig! Welcome to the post! Congratulations on your band date. It will be here before you know it. Trust me! lol. Where are you from in MA? SherryW and I are definitely going to try and set up a meeting from this board at some point. I'm having my band on Monday, so it will probably be sometime after that. I am 32, so we're similar in age. I don't blame you for being worried, I think that's normal. Any time I get nervous I check out the before and after page, and that seems to get me through it. :P

I'm going to see Dr. Haagg in Springfield,, no date set as of yet, but I'm seeing the dietition, and the Phyc. things are moving right along,, so fast I only have time to be scared about 1/2 the time. Best of luck to all.