Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massachusetts Bandsters Chat

Hi All :tongue_smilie: I'm on my 10th day banded. Anyone in the Easton area?

I'm nervous and excited. Really happy I have the band and I'm feeling better and never want surgery again if I can avoid it!

Hi BethM...I'm from Taunton. I just has surgery myself on the 18th...revision. I don't want surgery again myself either if I can avoid it. Hurting quite a bit but, thankful I still have my band :tongue_smilie:

You slipped 2 years out? That's not common is it? Somehow I was roomed with a woman who's band slipped and then her liver was knicked during surgery and she bled out 6 pints of blood while she was in the hospital so they had to repair that too. Crazy.. I think I'm all paranoid because of that now.

Hope you feel better soon. We should keep in touch.. you're only a town away from me :tongue_smilie:

I was banded 2/13/06 so almost 3 years but, I think my band slipped at least a year ago. No idea whats common or not really...everyone is different. I don't think I did anything stupid to cause it, it just happened. I don't recall any specific incident that would have caused this. I'm just thankful I was able to have another one put in right away. One town over isn't bad at all. I'm hoping to get a support group started back up again...hope you'll join us.

I'll be sure to post it here and on the BIDMC thread. As soon as I heal up and the holidays are over I'll try again to hook us all up to meet. We had a great group last time, I think there were 8 of us that met. I'm hoping we can do the same. We focused on what we were all going through at the time, compared notes and strategies. I'm hoping to get a list with all our phone numbers, email addresses etc together so we can talk with one another too. My docs office has a BANDED BUDDIES list...so many we can start one too. I'll have to call those folks up on the southshore to see if they'd like to join us too. The more the merrier and the more support. I have a whole separate area from the rest of my house that we can use too so it's a great area to have it. We'll work it out soon! I really want to get together with everyone.

Right now I'm still hurting...no pain meds for me because they make me sick to my stomach and that's the last thing I need right now. Tylenol just isn't cutting it very well UGH. Take care and I'll definitely keep in touch!

Please keep me in mind when you start the support group. I live in the Western suburbs and I've been a miserable failure with the lapband. I need to be around positive people -- I am mostly a positive person except when it comes to my weight. I will have been banded a year in Feb. '08 and have not lost very much at all. I'm very discouraged. I could use a good support group.

ND everyone's healing time is different. First time around took me a good month before I felt 100% but, was only out of work for about a week and a half. Just needed to take it easy and not lift anything over 10 pounds. This revision surgery I just had on the 18th of Dec and I'm feeling fine now. I took the week after off to play it safe. I get a little light headed because still on liquids but, other than that doing fine.

Hope you feel better soon!

Bonnie, I'll be posting the support group info here as it comes together. You're more than welcome to join us. :frown:

How come you had to get a revision? I have been so sore, that I don;t know if I could ever do it again! Anyway, could you tell me on average what your daily menu looks like? I can;t wait to eat again!

Hi everyone. My name is Kim. I am hopefully getting banded soon. I just submitted to my insurance after going thru a whole 6 month thing with Tufts. Anyone from Western Ma? I'm from the Springfield area.

ND I had revision surgery because I've been suffering with Reflux for about 1-1.5 years. I had a feeling something was wrong but, my doc would do unfills and it would go away. After gaining back some weight, I wanted to try a fill again but, with the promise from my doc that tests would be done this time if the reflux came back. The day before Thanksgiving I had a fill and BINGO that night reflux a little bit and then the full blown thing the next night and every night since. I had to sleep in an upright position for more than a week until I was finally able to see him again. I went in the next Tuesday, had an upper GI and the radiologist told my doc the band slipped. I was told to come back in on Wed for a complete unfill and we booked surgery for the 18th of dec. I went into surgery not knowing if I'd wake up with another band because it would depend on what he saw when he was in there. Turns out the slip was worse than they thought so they took out the band and fortunately they were able to put another on in, in a slightly higher position and this time around they tacked it a bit more torwards the back of my stomach to make sure it didn't move. I'm feeling great except I'm still on liquids. Man liquids are TOUGH especially the 2nd/3rd time around. I can't eat mushies until I see my doc again on 1/7. Then I praying I can get something with more bulk down that will keep me feeling full longer. Liquids do not keep you satisfied for long when there is no fill in the band, that's for sure!

I can't give you a typical daily diet because of all I've gone through. I won't know what it's even like for another 4-5 weeks. I do know that I used to eat my Protein first, then fruits & veggies and carbs last if there was any room at all left. I couldn't eat bread or anything that would take a long time to digest like Pasta because it bunches back up in my stomach and doesn't want to digest so I skip those things. I'm looking forward to being able to have solid Proteins again though, that's for sure!

Hope you're feeling better. The 2nd time around wasn't as sore as the first because they didn't have to replace my port. They used the same one I already had so this time I only had 4 incisions instead of 6. I'm still pretty bruised and I have some scarring but, doing ok. Some jeans are too uncomfy yet to wear still because the waistline lands on the incisions. Sweatpants are my favorites right now lol

Hi LisaMarie.

Yes, I'm going thru Dr. Haag at PVSurgical in Springfield. I can't wait. How much are you loosing per week? I see 35 so far. I'm sure a lot of that was the liquid diet. Also, did Dr. Haag make you do a liquid diet at all pre-op? Or is it just post-op with him?