Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nothing Humbles You Faster Than Taking A New Class

I've been weight/resistance training 3 times a week and taking step once a week. This Tuesday, I thought I'd take a new resistance class just to change up my routine. I can handle it right? I've been working out like a fiend so it should be ok.

So after several minutes of squats, lunges, knees, kicks and more squats, I was really starting to feel it in my hamstrings and glutes. Then I bent over to put a weight in front of my board so it wouldn't slide and there went my hamstrings. Both of them. I couldn't do another lunge and I could barely walk out of the class. It's actually kinda funny looking back on it. Here I was thinking I was all that and this class put me in my place. I'm better now but that class has just issued a challenge to me. I will not let it win. So yes, I'm going back for more torture next Tuesday. Maybe I can find a different muscle to pull.

OMG have fun but be careful :) !!!!

So yes, I'm going back for more torture next Tuesday. Maybe I can find a different muscle to pull.

I'm just starting to do more real exercise. I'm 8 weeks post-op and I've been doing quite a bit of walking, but it's time to turn it up a notch. I've been swimming a few times in the last 2 weeks which definitely works the cardio. And I want to start doing resistance training very soon.

So yesterday I decided that I would work my legs and glutes by climbing the stairs at work. All I can say is thank goodness the stairwell is enclosed and deserted! I was a panting, heaving mess after 2 floors (4 flights of 10 stairs). This 278 lb body is still a lot more than my legs want to carry up stairs!

I rested every 2 floors and made it to the top floor (8th) (I work in a short building). I could barely walk down the stairs to the bottom.....jelly legs!

And today, I'm feeling it in my quads and surprisingly, a bit in my calves as well. But it's a good twinge. Makes me feel like I'm doing something!

Yay u, webchickadee! That's fantastic! I used to hate being sore, but now I'm learning to love it because it means I'm getting stronger. Congrats on conquering the stairwell!!

Awesome! You have more guts than I do. I hate stairs!

Webchickadee, From my research on stair-walking, walking down the stairs is actually harder on your legs than walking up them... and of no real cardio or fitness benefit. So, walk up them and then, if you're still jelly-legged, take the elevator back to the bottom. :)

Webchickadee, From my research on stair-walking, walking down the stairs is actually harder on your legs than walking up them... and of no real cardio or fitness benefit. So, walk up them and then, if you're still jelly-legged, take the elevator back to the bottom. :)

That's a great idea Lissa. I would have taken the elevator down gladly.....but this particular stairwell had locked doors that only open with a passcard. I work on the 1st floor and my card only works there and on the ground floor. So I had no access to an elevator at the top! No choice but to walk all the way down to my floor or ground.....

So now I know (LOL). But I'm a glutton for punishment (and I won't let a few stairs beat me)....I'll probably be back on those stairs again soon. :P

The stairs kick my butt still, at 204!! My trainer makes me run up and down the stairs at the gym and I call her all kinds of bad words while I'm doing it. HUMRPH.

Good for you, it is important to change our exercise routine. :D