Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Ever Regretted Having Surgery? Be Honest?

There's not a day that went by that I regretted having this surgery. Although there were times when I wanted to eat something and couldn't and got frustrated but I never wished i didn't have the surgery. Because I knew there was a prize at the end of the tunnel that I wanted to reach. As time passes you'll see that it was all worth wild. Eating is temporary fulfillment but being healthy with the sleeve will provide you with a lifetime of gratitude trust me.

I definitely regret surgery so far. I was sleeved June 26th and I survived the first few days of severe nausea and went home on the 28th. I was walking getting most of my liquids and Protein in and feeling pretty good. However, the last few days I've been having pain from my breastbone to the center of my back. I had the pain all night the last few nights. I haven't been able to drink or eat hardly anything these last couple of days. I've stopped walking, I have no energy, and I feel really weak. I went for my one week check-up today, actually ten days, and I've lost 26 pounds. The doctor said I'm losing too fast and I'm slightly dehydrated. He prescribed Prevacid for the pain. He said it sounds like my gallbladder. If the Prevacid doesn't work I may have to have my gallbladder removed. I'm so scared I'm going to have to have another surgery. It's way too soon. My body hasnt healed from the sleeve yet. So yes, I'm definitely regretting my sleeve for now. I cried all the way home from the dr. wishing I didn't do this to my body. I started at 271 and I'm down to 245. Yes, I've lost weight, but at what cost?

Sorry to be so negative.....I'm praying this will pass and I will start getting stronger.

The only thing I would worry about right now is getting in more fluids. I'm not a doctor, but this sounds very typical of dehydration. I try to get in more than 65 oz a day and if I don't I get HA and dizzy and that's because I'm dehydrated. It also plays on my energy level as well. Don't worry about gallbladder, it's too soon for that. Focus on drinking your Water with some low calorie Gatorade. It will make you feel better. :)

My doctor told me about a medicine he will prescribe at my six week visit to help prevent issues with my gallbladder from losing weight so quickly. He said it may not be necessary, but I told him I would rather take it and be safe than have to face another surgery down the road which was his same feeling. That appointment is next week. When I find out what it is, I will post it on here. In the meantime, keep drinking your fluids and take your prevacid. I had some of the same type of pain both pre-op when I had reflux and occassionally in the first few weeks post op. The prevacid should help.

I definitely regret surgery so far. I was sleeved June 26th and I survived the first few days of severe nausea and went home on the 28th. I was walking getting most of my liquids and Protein in and feeling pretty good. However, the last few days I've been having pain from my breastbone to the center of my back. I had the pain all night the last few nights. I haven't been able to drink or eat hardly anything these last couple of days. I've stopped walking, I have no energy, and I feel really weak. I went for my one week check-up today, actually ten days, and I've lost 26 pounds. The doctor said I'm losing too fast and I'm slightly dehydrated. He prescribed Prevacid for the pain. He said it sounds like my gallbladder. If the Prevacid doesn't work I may have to have my gallbladder removed. I'm so scared I'm going to have to have another surgery. It's way too soon. My body hasnt healed from the sleeve yet. So yes, I'm definitely regretting my sleeve for now. I cried all the way home from the dr. wishing I didn't do this to my body. I started at 271 and I'm down to 245. Yes, I've lost weight, but at what cost?

Sorry to be so negative.....I'm praying this will pass and I will start getting stronger.

I can so relate to how you are feeling. I had my surgery on the 29th. I cried myself to sleep last night, wondering why I did this when I lost 60lbs before I had the surgery done. Even though I am in the throws of my pity party I muster up the whys I did this and have to remember to keep focusing on them. I hear it gets easier. I woke up in much better spirits this morning. I think I shall spend my time figuring out how to get more Water in. I hear all the advice about popsicles, gatorade, juices etc...however, I am a Water lover so this is next my Quest to focus on. I wish you the best of luck!! K ;0)

I totally regretted it the first two weeks. I cried every day. I was miserable. Now? I'm rocking this sleeve! I'm down 80 pounds as of this morning and I look HAWT! I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I LOVE IT!!!!! You go girl!!!!!!!

I'm with you. I have a leak and haven't been allowed ANYTHING to eat or drink since last Friday and won't till atleast Monday (on IV stuff for nutrients). Even the hospital food smells glorious. But I know it's only temporary' date=' we will get through this, and when we meet goal we'll think back on how simple this was and how happy we'll be. Hang in there! :)[/quote']

How did you find out you had a leak!? Are you still in the hospital?

I definitely regret surgery so far. I was sleeved June 26th and I survived the first few days of severe nausea and went home on the 28th. I was walking getting most of my liquids and Protein in and feeling pretty good. However' date=' the last few days I've been having pain from my breastbone to the center of my back. I had the pain all night the last few nights. I haven't been able to drink or eat hardly anything these last couple of days. I've stopped walking, I have no energy, and I feel really weak. I went for my one week check-up today, actually ten days, and I've lost 26 pounds. The doctor said I'm losing too fast and I'm slightly dehydrated. He prescribed Prevacid for the pain. He said it sounds like my gallbladder. If the Prevacid doesn't work I may have to have my gallbladder removed. I'm so scared I'm going to have to have another surgery. It's way too soon. My body hasnt healed from the sleeve yet. So yes, I'm definitely regretting my sleeve for now. I cried all the way home from the dr. wishing I didn't do this to my body. I started at 271 and I'm down to 245. Yes, I've lost weight, but at what cost?

[/quote']

I can so relate to how you are feeling. I had my surgery on the 29th. I cried myself to sleep last night, wondering why I did this when I lost 60lbs before I had the surgery done. Even though I am in the throws of my pity party I muster up the whys I did this and have to remember to keep focusing on them. I hear it gets easier. I woke up in much better spirits this morning. I think I shall spend my time figuring out how to get more Water in. I hear all the advice about popsicles, gatorade, juices etc...however, I am a Water lover so this is next my Quest to focus on. I wish you the best of luck!! K ;0)

I am 4 months post op and can tell you that I regretted the surgery until I got off the mushy food stage. I remember trying to blend chili and was so repulsed by liquified meat. I remember secretly crying because I just wanted to chew something and eat normal again. I was light headed and dizzy all the time because I didn't get enough water in. However, ever since I got off the mushy stage I have loved my sleeve. The joy of discovering food again with a small stomach has actually been fun. I still can't eat much (4 oz), but I can eat ANYTHING. I have not found anything that doesn't sit well with my new sleeve. I've lost 54 lbs and have about 36 to go.

The way you are feeling is completely normal and I think most people go through some type of regret at some point in this journey. Just hang in there. You'll see in another 4-6 weeks you will be so happy you made this decision.

Thanks Kwlinam, we should definitely try to stay positive. These crazy hormones and emotions are boing off the walls! I know it's going to get better. Today I'm going to focus on getting my fluids in and walking.

Tracey I would love to know what the med is that would delay gallbladder problems. That would be great if you could post it after your appointment.

Thanks everyone. I love this site, all the support is great. Good luck to all of you and God Bless!

Chrissy- I was having a hard time getting food in let alone keeping it down. Thought I had severe acid as the meds stopped working. I ran out and went in to get a new script and felt like I was going to pass out walking from the chair to the counter and dr sent me to the er as I had trouble breathing. They thought heart and found nothing and sent me home. 2 days later I was feeling the same and the office had me admitted. Took em 6 days to finally do another ct scan (I got sick while I was here, face blew up with a Salvatory gland infection and I don't remember most of last week) and voila. Luckily it's verrrrry tiny, so they put a stent in yesterday that they'll take out when the leak heals

Chrissy- I was having a hard time getting food in let alone keeping it down. Thought I had severe acid as the meds stopped working. I ran out and went in to get a new script and felt like I was going to pass out walking from the chair to the counter and dr sent me to the er as I had trouble breathing. They thought heart and found nothing and sent me home. 2 days later I was feeling the same and the office had me admitted. Took em 6 days to finally do another ct scan (I got sick while I was here' date=' face blew up with a Salvatory gland infection and I don't remember most of last week) and voila. Luckily it's verrrrry tiny, so they put a stent in yesterday that they'll take out when the leak heals[/quote']

Oh My! Having a leak is my worst fear. Do they have to put you under when they put the stent in?

Yes thank God

At four months out I am definitely regretting the surgery. I've been following all the rules to a T but have only lost about 35 pounds since surgery and have been incredibly miserable. I'm sick every day with nausea and diarrhea. No matter what I eat, liquids, mashies, or solids, and no matter how small the portion, there is a 50% chance that I will throw it up. If I do manage to keep the food down I suffer from pains in my stomach. The diahrea is the worst in that it occurs throughout the day multiple times, at the worst times as well. I'm not lactose intolerant like many have suggested. I'm taking Zofran and presciption strength Prilosec without any much help.

I have given up on my surgeon as he doesn't want to be too proactive with my health right now. I went to see my PCP who suggested an Gastro doc should take a look at it. I'll have to wait until the end of the month for that one.

Everything just frustrates me to no end.

It gets better!!! You will be able to eat much more kinds of food before you know it! I had my sleeve 4-24-12 and I don't regret it at all. Down 75 pounds!

That's pretty awesome