Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am still early in this VSG road and still have a lot of weight to lose; however, I think that I need to tell everyone here who is looking for pro's and con's to surgery about my story.

I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2007 - I went through years of not taking care of myself which resulted in me becoming insulin dependent a year ago. I began a treatment regimen of 30 units of Humalog before every meal and 80 units of Lantus before bed. I was also taking Byetta 10 mcg 2 x day and Glyburide and Metformin. After meeting with a nutritionist and finally understanding how to eat, my blood sugars were under control with all of the above meds. It was an exhausting daily routine and My A1C in Jan-2012 was 8.8.

Now, 10 weeks post-op I had my A1C retested on June 1st and it was 5.8 (pre-diabetic) or completely controlled. I take .....NO DIABETIC MEDS since going home from the hospital..... (only one dose of insulin since surgery and that was when I was in the hospital) this alone has made this surgery worth it. I have lost 52 pounds and if I never lost another pound (not going to happen) it will have all been worth it.

If you are diabetic (insulin or non-insulin dependent) and overweight, I encourage you to look into this surgery. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself and my health.

Debbie

Thanks for sharing! That is very encouraging!

NO DIABETIC MEDS since going home from the hospital.....

Hi Debbie

So very happy for you :)

Having 5.8 as your new A1C , how great is that? You. must be so psyched :)

Yes, one of the big benefits of the sleeve is getting rid of diabetes

There are many other ailments too that will be helped eventually.

I still haveSleep Apnea, didn't help me. :( ,

at least diabetes and high blood pressure are gone :)

one x- diabetic to another

kathy

I'm no longer on my diabetic meds or shots either. It's awesome!

I am also diabetic too. I really just too Lisinapril to protect my kidney's but never any other meds until after the surgery when by glucose was in the 200 range. Haven't taken anything since and my blood gluscose is in the normal range. I was tested for A1C twice since surgery and at 3 months out it was 6.0. Then at 7 months I had it retested again it had gone up to 6.3. I had been getting some mini heresy's candies for about a week or two. So I can't have sugar and when I was talking to my PCP, he told me that I will always be diabetic but controlled and that 10 to 15 years down the road, I may need to take insulin to control blood sugar. He explained it like, people take insulin to treat their diabetes, and you choose the surgery to treat your diabetes. So I know that I really need to watch and eliminate sugar from my diet. So that's what I do. It's all so worth it. :)

I guess the title is a little misleading. I don't think that diabetes ever actually goes away, however, my Dr. did tell me that I wasn't diabetic anymore. Guess it just depends on how I eat.

I too was taking Metformin, Glyburide and same amount of Byetta every day.... Even WITH all those meds, the week before my surgery my A1C was 10....went off all meds 3 days before surgery .... By the time i left the hospital after surgery, blood sugar levels way down... 4 weeks after surgery my A1C was 6.6 (without ANY diabetes medicine)...

I believe my surgery is already a success because no more diabetes meds ...and the weight loss is the bonus...