Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shingles 2 weeks after surgery

I was banded two weeks ago yesterday. Everything was going well until Monday. I started having this weird skin pain on the left side of my rib cage, right above my incisions. It felt like my skin was burned. It wasn't a deep pain, so I knew it probably wasn't due to my surgery, but I couldn't help thinking that somehow it was (maybe a nerve that was cut or something). The pain continued to get worse to the point where it hurt to wear clothes. The incisions look great and no sign of infection. I saw my dr. this morning and it seems I probably have shingles. YUCK! They say that the stress of the surgery could likely bring this out. I am in so much pain. Just when I started to exercise, this happens and now I'm pretty much unable to do anything today...just lay in one position. That's the only way the pain is bearable.

Has anyone out here had shingles? If so.....do you have any hints to make this more bearable? No bumps yet....they say they can take a week to appear after the initial pain.

oh you poor thing!! I have not ha them, but it stands to reason that you might get them. it is from the chicken pox virus being dormant in your body and coming out when you are stressed. how awful! My father in law just went through this after some seriously hard work on his property. his doctor gave him some stuff to bathe in, as well as a lot of pain meds. the virus really wiped him out. and it takes a lot to get your energy back.

please keep in mind that when you do get the bumps and rash you will be contagious to anyone who has never had the chicken pox.

Yes, I had shingles in my mid-20's due to stress from a former employer. You really need to get to the doc immediately so that he can prescribe an antibiotic as well as pain medication. I got some relief for the rash from calamine lotion.

FYI - the pain from shingles is very deep and can last up to 6 months even after the rash is gone.

Good luck!

They have a shot now that they can give you. I had them several years ago and the shot prevented them from coming out on my skin. I had severe pain, but mostly in the form of a headache.

Its funny you should say this as my skin around the surgical area, not the scars, has felt really sensitive. It is a weird feeling and I've had it since the surgery. It's almost pain, but not quite. I wonder if this is a side effect of the surgery? I feel it differently at different times, but it hasn't gone away after 10 weeks.

You poor thing!! Aveeno baths help some, but it's almost just a waiting game!! Wonder if your surgeon needs to give you antibiotics so you won't get a secondary infection?? I don't think they'll give you antibiotics for shingles since it's basically a virus. GOOD LUCK!

We often give Zyrtec (prescription) for patients with Shingles, and it does come in a liquid form. Benadryl may help some, but check with your dr. Aveeno is good for chicken pox itch and scars, so it makes sense that it would help relieve shingles. The doc that diagnosed it didn't prescribe anything for you?

Keep in mind that shingles are a infectious to anyone who hasn't had chicken pox as long as you have an active outbreak. We use droplet masks, gloves, and gowns when we go into patients room when they are in active phase.

Kirsten, that sucks!! I feel for you, damn stress. Did your Dr start you on an anti-viral such as famvir? Be aggressive because shingles can cause transient nerve pain that will drive you nuts. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya, I hope you feel better. Tell Cassie we said hi.

Patti

Zovirax also comes in liquid and it will shorten and lessen the duration of the shingles. I would not go home without it! You may also need pain medication. I would make a call tomorrow and get an RX for at least the zovirax. If the surgeon doesnt give it to you call your PCP. Considered cruel in our practice not to prescribe something to help lessen the course. Good Luck to you, you have my sympathy!!

Oh my goodness, that's awful! I have never had shingles, so I can't offer any advice. Just wanted to lend some support while you get through this.

Yes, I did get an Rx for Zovirax. I didn't realize it came in liquid, so I'm just crushing pills and putting it in a little bit of applesauce. Hopefully it will start working. Dr. said that most people don't realize that something is wrong until the blisters/rash starts to appear and then they go to the Dr. and are given the Rx. Since I went in earlier than most (I was concerned that something might be wrong with my incisions) he is hopeful that I should have a good recovery. Regardless...this just plain "sucks".

Bless your heart! As if surgery recovery isn't enough to deal with! I sure hope you get over this quickly! Welcome to the banded side!