Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What? Not fat enough????OMG!

I am so stressed. I saw my surgeon and he said, with a BMI of 39.5 he would consider that 40 and not to sweat it. So I didn't.

On Friday, i got a call from his nurse, who politely and in a round about kind of way, suggested that I GAIN SOME MORE WEIGHT to get my BMI up past 40 to qualify for my insurance! I said I would do it, but I am so depressed--the last thing I want to be is BIGGER!

And it's starting to get hot here--ugh! Console me, please.

Guest barbaraw

im having my band donein two weeks.Im ashamed to say that I gained weight on purpose so that insurance would cover my operation.The dr would have done it because like you I was close enough but I couldnt afford it without insurance.I hate the way I look and feel but there was no choice.Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Hiya Kimberly,

I had to gain weight as well ... I knew that my BMI had to be 40 or above since I didn't have any other serious co-morbidities. So... I gained... and now I can't lose what I gained for surgical purposes...LOL. Sometimes a girl has to do what a girl has to do! I did it because I knew that with each weight loss and then gain... I would be above 40 without a doubt at some point. Hang in there girl and have yourself a Culver's Turtle Sundae or two... or three... whatever it takes!

Darcy

I really have been eating like a maniac--went over to my mom's last night and needed something she had upstairs--made her go up and get it so I wouldn't burn a claorie! We laughed and laughed! I have a better focus on this now--and appreciate your posts of support sooooo much.

Off to make a pie....and eat the whole thing!

Thanks again!

Rather than gain more weight... why not wear heavier clothing, jewelry and put some rolled coins in your pockets before you weigh-in at the docs office. :D:( :( :(

Once your insurance approves you, no one will tell them if you lost weight before surgery. Plus some doctors like you to lose before surgery to make things easier for them (shrinking the liver, etc.)

I am sure you can play around with a few options on a home scale to make sure you can hit at least a BMI of 40 without gaining 'real' weight.... heck... you are only .5 away.

Good Luck!

Hi--

The nurse asked me to, um, "do what I can", then go to my local MD's office to weigh in, then have them fax the result to their office. So, I am paranoid and eating. And did I mention that it's hot here and muggy sticky? UGH!

So, I will go weigh in tomorrow, with my heaviest, clunkiest shoes and change in my pockets!

Crossed fingers!

Kimberly

I'm freakin' speechless for a change. I can understand why insurance won't pay for someone who is only 20 pounds overweight, but this is ridiculous. Damn insurance companies should realize that an extra couple pounds could throw you over the diabetic border, or worse.

That is exactly what I was thinking! but who am I???? I am already extremely insulin resistant, so I am officially "pre diabetic" anyway.....argh. Well, enough pi&&ing and moaning about this--I will weigh in tomorrow and hopefully be over the hump and to a proper BMI, then there wont be an issue.

Happy to report that it rained today and is much more comfy!

:D

Thanks again to all for your support!

Kimberly,

I put several rolls of quarters in my pockets when I first went to a US doctor and I didn't take off my shoes when I stepped on the scale either! I was denied coverage anyway (because it was lapband, not because of my bmi) so I went to Mexico where they didn't seem to mind that my bmi was under 40!

That's exactly what I did. I bought $40.00 worth of quaters and I put 2 rolls in each pocket and wore big clothes....Try that it works!!!!

Birdee!

I went today to get weighed--DOWN three pounds! How can that be? I have been eating like a horse, and previously couldn't lose any weight to save my life--now THIS!

I made another pie.

Going back tomorrow, because the scale wasn't balanced--with quarters and big clothes on!

I must get approved because I just gave all my clothes to Goodwill! Closet clean out week!

That making a pie thing cracks me up. I'd shove a roll of quarters up my butt. Then again, I wanna be a pole dancer.

I'd shove a roll of quarters up my butt.

Lisa, DEFINITELY TMI!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol Get a pair of pants with POCKETS, for goshsakes!!!

ROTFLMAO :D:( :( :(

You guys are so funny!

I just made my pie--it is chilling--cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and cherry pie filling on top. None of that fat free cream cheese, either!

Wouldn't share a bite if you held a gun to my head!

Off to look for cargo pants for quarters........