Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss in the 2nd year of banding

It has now been a year since I got my band. I didn't really get restriction until christmas of last year, but since then, I've lost just over 120lbs. I still have around 80lbs to go, and I'm wondering if I'll manage that.

Does anyone here have two years experience with the band? If so, what was your weight loss during that second year?

Thanks for your time/expert information! :huggie:

I have 3 yrs - and I only lost 20 lbs in my second year. I also had a slip and replaced my band, which was never the same as the first. Many people who had higher BMI continued to lose. Keep doing what you're doing as long as it's working!! Great job!!

Thanks for your prompt reply. :P

I have enjoyed a good rate of weight loss, but I'm concerned that it will be short-lived.

I don't really consider myself to be large anymore, and in fact, with a BMI of 34, I wouldn't qualify for the op. but, still, it would be nice to get to a scientifically-determined "healthy" weight.

Hi Pianoman,

Lost 120 my first year and 34 my second year. Nothing in my third year and gained back some weight after plastic surgery. But I had less to lose than you do, so you should be able to lose more. Why not??? As long as your expectations are rational and you are willing to do your part, you should be able to get to goal....

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

If I recall correctly, it took Mae a little over a year to get the bulk of her weight off, and then the last 15 pounds took another six months or so.

(Mae/aka muffinbirdie is my patron saint of the band. She just doesn't know it :Phttp://www.myagb.homestead.com/why_i_chose.html)

Others have posted similar stories here. Once you get close to your goal weight, you're going to need a lot of patience. Those last 10-20 pounds have been hanging around your body the longest, and they're not too jazzed about leaving. But if you hang in there, they will eventually get the message and move on.

... Once you get close to your goal weight, you're going to need a lot of patience. Those last 10-20 pounds have been hanging around your body the longest, and they're not too jazzed about leaving. But if you hang in there, they will eventually get the message and move on.

So true, Sleepy!

Of course, I have to be the oddball.

Since my "technical' post-op weight loss period, if I don't include the liquid diet phase, then I think I technically lost more weight more quickly in my 2nd year, but that was because I was better restricted. The first 9 months, I wasn't well restricted at all. In the next 6 months, things started chugging right along.

Now I'm down to maybe 5-10# of my doc's (too conservative) goal, so things are going a bit slower. I would prefer to lose at least another 10# more (a bit more might even be OK, but we'll see). The weight loss is a wee bit slower because my body is finally realizing it's losing it's beloved "buffer weight."

But this excess flab is being evicted - so it better pack up and get ready to get out! :clap2:

Again, thanks for the info. Looks like I'm gonna have to be patient.

Although, I might get a fill, and see if that helps.

New Sho--do you mind sharing your stats? How much have you lost or how tall are you? I'm short, and man, is this getting challenging...(I know I need to update my stats) but wow...I'm feeling down and out

Oh I don't have much to encourage you with LookingOut. I'm a big, tall, solid gal - and you must be a tiny little petite thing. I try not to get myself wrapped up in scale numbers which is why I don't promote them. I follow my BMI closer than anything else.

Just remember you're a lighter-weight Bandsters so your loss rate will be slower, and your total amount loss will be less.

That's why it's SO important not to measure yourself against what other people. Everyone's height, start weight, body frame size, and metabolism makes their journey different from yours.

So just keep yourself positive and know you've made a good choice FOR YOU.

Everyone else is on their own path.

Oh, thanks NewSho, I am always curious about others journeys and what they have to start with. You seem very experienced, and I think your posts always have really good insight. My sister and I weigh the same, but she is 11 inches taller than me, but shaped the same. I'm not petite, stout would be a better adjective. My surgeon told me my loss would be slower because I'm muscular. I don't use the scale, I use my clothes as more of a gauge. Thanks for the encouragement. I've been trying to eat better and hit the gym, and be more positive.