Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone really tight and not losing?

I had my 4th fill last Thursday and am very tight. I know I'm eating less calories than I should, but the weight just isn't dropping off. I figured I would give it another couple of weeks then call my endocinologist. It takes a while for your body to go into "starvation mode", so this isn't the problem. I AM on thyroid supplements and have been diagnosed with PCOS or Syndrome-X.....still.....I should be losing. This has been a problem from the very beginning. In almost 5 months, I have lost very little.

I chalked it up to not having very much restriction, but now I definitely have enough. I'm just running this by those of you who truly have problems losing.....any clues as to why?

My first question is what exercise are you doing? Since you have some metabolism problems, you are going to need to fight to keep your metabolism burning fat. Or are you doing a lot of weight training? That will add on pounds of muscle, which will offset any fat lost. If you are losing inches (but not pounds), you are doing fine.

On www.obesityhelp.com there is a new exercise and fitness forum which has a great article (in the aerobic exercise section) on walking to burn fat. NASA ran some tests to figure out the best way to keep the astronauts fit in space, and found that the most effective way was to walk two continuous miles seven days a week. This ramps up your metabolism, reduces fat, and builds muscle.

My main form of exercise is elliptical walking. I go 3-4 miles 5-6 days a week. I also do some weight training a couple of days a week, but honestly neither the weight nor inches are coming off. I think it's time to call up my Endo. I'm not scheduled to see him until January and that's just too far away. Thanks!

Wow, that's got to be frustrating. I think you're wise to see your Endo now.... Hang in there, though. This summer I upped my exercise routine and was very frustrated because the weight didn't change. I kept at it, though, and all of a sudden, after two months (aargh!), I was down about 5+ pounds and into a new clothes size!

That's probably very frustrating for you! Maybe keeping track of what you are eating, like on fitday.com. That way, you will have some record of what you are consuming (nutrition, calories) to take to the doctor. This has helped me greatly. Just try it for a week.

When I was too tight, I found I went for the "easy" foods. Usually it was the junkier type of foods that went down. Of course, these a calorie dense.

I am not saying you are eating bad. Just get a gauge.

Your exercise program is terrific!

Take care, Shawn

On www.obesityhelp.com there is a new exercise and fitness forum which has a great article (in the aerobic exercise section) on walking to burn fat. NASA ran some tests to figure out the best way to keep the astronauts fit in space, and found that the most effective way was to walk two continuous miles seven days a week. This ramps up your metabolism, reduces fat, and builds muscle.

Thanks for that info. It is great to know.

I usually do try to keep up with what I eat, but I've been slacking lately.....thinking that I wasn't eating enough to keep up with. Maybe I'm eating more calories than I think. I will start today. I also think I'm going to try the 2 mile walking thing and see if anything changes. I go more than that now, but maybe if I did less miles more times a week.......

I usually do try to keep up with what I eat, but I've been slacking lately.....thinking that I wasn't eating enough to keep up with. Maybe I'm eating more calories than I think. I will start today.

I'm having the same problem after an agressive fill. I've lost only 1 - 2 pounds since the fill. I've been doing Leslie Sansone's Walk away the pounds--wonder if I shouldn't add some "real" walking?

Miper, I too was an Ortiz patient...remember even though you may not be lsoing on the scale you will be losing inches. Not to mention I bet you feel better then you have in years so you are winning at this by getting your life back, do not let the numbers on the scale dictate your success with your band, think of all of the other good things that have happened to you in the last 5 months since your band. here is great post I started for you to read that may help you feel better. Hang in there :D

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9148&highlight=inamed+handbook

Miper, you are telling my story, you know that, right? I was so frustrated that I couldn't lose weight that I was too tight for a month, and lost a whopping 1.5 pound in a month.

You've been diagnosed with PCOS and that garbage syndrome X. I call it garbage because I think so many doctors see PCOS and your other symptoms and instad of trying to figure out what is really the problem, they create a syndrome. And if it's one thing doctors can't cure, it's a syndrom.

Miper, it's time to start demanding answers. I mean, real answers. Not you have a syndrome (and if it's one thing doctors can't cure...) Please start researching Cushing's.

One of the main symptoms of Cushing's is obesity.