Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another newcomer: try again

Hi there, I am new to this forum and think I posted my message incorrectly the first time around. So here I go again:

Another newcomer

Hi guys, hope it is OK for a UK girl to write to you all? I find this forum extremely helpful and am hoping to get some good advice and guidance. Taking a big breath .....

I am in the preliminary stages of setting up appointments for the op and am very nervous and excited at the same time. I am hoping to have it done in London beginning 2007 and the thought of being in a position to finally do something about my weight is what drives me. I have a couple of questions that no-one around me can answer (I don't know anyone who has had it done):

1. Do you feel the LB once it has been 'installed'? I mean, besides not being able to eat much, can you actually sense it there all the time?

2. Can you feel the portal under the skin?

3. Do any of the above stop you from doing any physical activities?

4. How do you cope mentally/emotionally with the changes? I know for a fact that I will have to work hard at changing my relationship with food: no more comfort eating, a complete life change.

Many thanks in advance for any advice and feedback.

Mari :mad:

Hi Mari,

Welcome to LBT! This is a great site for information.

To answer some of you questions:

1. I don't feel my band at all. I know it is present if I have overeaten, eaten too quickly or not chewed well enough because their is discomfort or even pain then. But, I don't actually feel the band inside my body.

2. I can feel my port when I press on it.

3. My physical activities were only limited during the healing phase and that was only for a few weeks. The port is sutured into the abdominal muscles so that can remain tender for a bit longer and can cause discomfort if those muscles are "pulled".

4. The emotional adjustment has not been too difficult for me. I was not a big emotional eater--just a big eater-- and the band has stopped that. I know for others that has been a much bigger issue to tackle and I'm sure you will get more feedback from some of them.

Good luck to you on your journey and keep us posted!

Thanks for your reply, Linda, very helpful. It is impossible to imagine how it will all feel, so your feedback is so important to me. And I've learned a bunch from reading other entries on this forum, both the good and the more negative stuff. I believe in being prepared for what's coming as best I can.

Now I just have to be patient and wait for my GP and surgeon to get it together and come back with a date, hopefully Spring next year.

Thanks again

Mari

Good luck Mari! LindaV answered just what I would have. Keep reading up and you'll get a very good grasp on banded life. This board prepared me well for my surgery and for what to expect living with my band. No regrets. Yay!

Hi Kathy!

It is so encouraging that people take the time to send kind and uplifting messages, thanks for that! I guess when you have been there yourself it is easier to imagine how somebody is feeling.

From your stats it looks like you have been on a long and successful journey, well on the way to reaching your goal. Congratulations! I hope to be able to say that about myself this time next year. Now how's that for a positive statement!

Cheers

Mari

Heya Mari!

I can only imagine how it must feel for you. The band is a wonderful device and I hope it works for you.

I will only speak to one of your questions.

I can feel the wife's port very easily (even just laying my hand on her tummy). I'm really happy to feel that port because I know that little thing is helping her live again!

By the way, I am formerly from the UK (Gosport, Hampshire). :)

1. Do you feel the LB once it has been 'installed'? I mean, besides not being able to eat much, can you actually sense it there all the time?

The port incision was the most sore for the longest amount of time but no, I don't know it's there if I am not eating.

2. Can you feel the portal under the skin?

Yes, it's a round, hard texture that can be palpated with your fingers.

3. Do any of the above stop you from doing any physical activities?

My surgeon advised no heavy lifting for 6 weeks and then no restrictions.

4. How do you cope mentally/emotionally with the changes? I know for a fact that I will have to work hard at changing my relationship with food: no more comfort eating, a complete life change.

Don't look at the "big picture." Instead, make small changes and before you know it, you'll be living a more healthy lifestyle.

Best of luck to you and feel free to ask any questions as they arise.

Thanks so much Paul and Elisabeth! I am thrilled to have taken the step to post, so much support!

Paul, I was touched by your sentence "helping her live again" when being able to feel your wife's portal under the skin. That is how I feel about this: it will give me a new lease of life. A new chance to heal, to finally win the battle with weight and be stronger.

Logging off for the day, UK time. Looking forward to reading more tomorrow!

Cheers

Mari

Hi Mari,

Welcome to LBT! This is a great site for information.

To answer some of you questions:

1. I don't feel my band at all. I know it is present if I have overeaten, eaten too quickly or not chewed well enough because their is discomfort or even pain then. But, I don't actually feel the band inside my body.

2. I can feel my port when I press on it.

3. My physical activities were only limited during the healing phase and that was only for a few weeks. The port is sutured into the abdominal muscles so that can remain tender for a bit longer and can cause discomfort if those muscles are "pulled".

4. The emotional adjustment has not been too difficult for me. I was not a big emotional eater--just a big eater-- and the band has stopped that. I know for others that has been a much bigger issue to tackle and I'm sure you will get more feedback from some of them.

Good luck to you on your journey and keep us posted!

I agree with everything you put. My experiences are pretty much parallel to yours. Good job Linda! :) Way to word it! :clap2:

I will say I'm more of the emotional eater type, but have no had any issues yet. I was a big sweets eater, pastries especially. At least during my emotional breakdowns which required my to attempt death by donut. I am guessing that with having the liquid, mushie phases and then working so hard to behave once I moved to regular food, that my tastes have already changed. I tried to eat a small bit of evil and it was too sweet. I never said that before, but it was. Almost made me sick to swallow it because it was so disgustingly sweet. I used to eat frosting out of the tub in desperate times, so sweet was never a factor before.

Good luck to you! I'm excited for you! :clap2:

Oh, and I love your name, Mari....I would anyway, but it just so happens that my name is Mari. I don't get to meet many Mari's so this is a nice treat. Your screen name caught my attention right away! :biggrin1:

Welcome and much success to you! :clap2: