Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Moms will always have their say. You just still gotta love 'em. Mine is the opposite. Last week I went out and got some new bermuda shorts because I want some summer clothes that fit. I went to NY & Co thinking I won't be able to fit the 18's yet. So they fit and I was sooooo excited! I told my mom I'm finally in a regular 18 and down 45 lbs. Her reply: well don't overdo it' date=' don't get too thin. Whaaaaaa??? So now an 18 is thin!!! I told her I just want to be a 14 so I have 2 sizes to go. She was still negative. Needless to say, I will not discuss my weight or size with her ever again. She came to my house last night and said look at you skinny lady. I said thanks. This morning I told her I'm 3 lbs. away from 50 lbs. I guess I'm excited and want to share with her, but better prepared for the backlash. We have to remind ourselves we made this decision for us and nobody else. So keep up the good work![/quote']

I agree this was our decision no one roses and we do ave each other out here in cyber space to lean on!! Good luck on your journey!

I totally agree that moms will be moms. A lot of my mom's co-workers had gastric bypass, so she started selling the R-en-y to me before I decided to have WLS. Now, since I decided to get the sleeve, she's always asking me, "Are you sure you're doing this right? So and so lost 100lbs with the other surgery." So, it doesn't matter, they'll always have something to say to remind you that they're the mom, and they know best.

Yeah, moms and family members in general are the only ones with a license to say whatever they want and get away with it or at least they think so! My mom is awesome and always my biggest fan so I'm very blessed in that way. My naysayer happens to be my dad, who I contribute 30-40% of my weight issues to lol! Everyone in my close family knows about my surgery except for him. I have lost 50 lbs since March and he hasn't said so much as a word. And, I know he notices. He has always berated me about my weight since I was 8 years old and he would make me run through our neighborhood with him. He would be down right cruel and tell me I would never find a man and if I did the man would cheat because men desire skinny women. It never helped that I had a weight problem and none of my other now 4 siblings never did. I'm sorry to rant on your rant but it feels good to finally get this off my chest. But as my mama always tells me (my parents divorced 5 years ago after 30 years together) the best revenge is living well. And it's not that I don't love my dad because I surely do, but too often people aren't aware of how their words have the power to change someone's life whether good or bad. I am trying to only put positive speak out.

My mom is a bit of a weirdo too. . she just opens her mouth and out spews the weirdest comments. She'll do stuff like this. . . "hows your tube doing?" "aren't you weak?"; "I just know your starving yourself". . ."have you gained?" "aren't you afraid to get big again?". . . errrrrr some days I just want to yell at her to leave me and my "tube" alone! But she is 80 and I'm better than that, so I just leave her be with her comments and just consider the source and flick it off like a piece of bird poo. . . hehehe. . . mothers, gotta love em!

I'm not telling my mother either, until the deed is done. I know I'll hear all the ways I could lose without WLS. But if that were true, I would have already been thin these last ten years! I will likely tell her after the fact though, since I somehow always end up telling my mother everything.