Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wheezy Whispers-AKA September's Goals

Will there ever be a time that you will not pb and slime.Or is this just something that once you have the band, have to live with.

when you hit your sweetspot in the fills will this stop ?

Why would feel tighter somedays then others ? Is there swelling in the stomach because of the band ?

Thanks for any advice

Yasmina

I don't think there will ever be a time when it will stop; and no it doesn't mean it stops when you hit your sweet spot. Hitting the sweet spot merely means you are at the right level of restriction for you in terms of your weight loss (and yet not so tight that you can't enjoy your food).

Don't stress though, lots of people NEVER pb or slime with the band. I am very lucky....compared to some I can't complain because I don't think it happens that frequently to me and has never lasted a long time like it does for some. Some have been banded for over a year and have never pbd or slimed.

Some will slime/pb because they aren't chewing enough, eating slow enough or taking small enough bites. Others will pb/slime even if they do this all correctly (which leads me to think they are perhaps too tight). When I have done it, it is because I took too much of a bit or didn't chew enough.

As with everything, it will all vary from individual to individual.

As for why is it "tighter" some days than others.....I think it is just because of the way our bodies naturally fluctuate from day to day...it is bound to have an affect.

And some people are tighter in the morning. I've been experiencing this phenomenon since my second fill. Lately if I try to eat in the morning, it doesn't matter what it is or how well it was chewed, it just doesn't want to go down.

And some people are tighter in the morning. I've been experiencing this phenomenon since my second fill. Lately if I try to eat in the morning, it doesn't matter what it is or how well it was chewed, it just doesn't want to go down.

I am like that some mornings too (not all). From my research and readings on the other non-Canuck threads, that is a verrrrry common theme. A lot of those folks advised drinking something hot/warm first thing in the morning (or whenever you do feel "tight")....I have tried that on a few occassions (ie. when I have time before I'm madly in a rush to get to work) and I must admit that it does work quite well.....just as they said. Not sure on the biology behind that, but I'll take it!

I don't drink (never have) coffee but I do have the odd tea. I also found some delicious hot apple/cranberry cider packages which are yummy and do the trick.

On the mornings I have trouble having Breakfast, I take an instant oatmeal packet and some milk (I prefer making it with milk than water) to work with me and have breakfast later in the day (of course when that happens, it screws up my lunch schedule).

:nervous

I am due to go in for my second fill. I probably need it. I can eat anything although I am eating much less than I did before I was banded. But I really don't want to get the pbs or the slimes. Ever. What to do?

Yeah,

I have never pb or slimed... so maybe it does just depend on the person??

Dawn

Banded April 4, 2006

Montreal

Dawn, what happens to you if you eat too fast, don't chew well enough, or something gets 'stuck'? Or has that just not ever happened?

I'm sure we'd all say that we don't eat too fast, chew stuff to death and it still happens sometimes.

I have read that you should Proteins first, then veg/fruits. bread and Pasta can cause problems because once chewed a lot ,they become gluey. Could you not sip small amounts of liquid with the bread ?

What about spicy foods ?

Yasmina

I have read that you should Proteins first, then veg/fruits. bread and Pasta can cause problems because once chewed a lot ,they become gluey. Could you not sip small amounts of liquid with the bread ?

What about spicy foods ?

Yasmina

Yes, the idea is to eat your Protein first so that you fill up on protein and not the other stuff (ie. carbs). Personally....I don't JUST eat protein first or else I'll never get my veggies in nor some of the carbs which I do like (which aren't ALL bad!). But I DO make sure that I get a sufficient amount of protein in at each meal.

I've been okay with pasta (teeeeeny bits and chewed to smithereens) and the same with toast. Untoasted bread is a bit more difficult for me. (don't forget though that everybody is different).

You could sip small amounts of liquid but that may either be a good thing or a verrrrry bad thing (again, everyone is different). It may help it go down for some; for others it will back it up even more and cause more of a problem (I've been the latter!). Plus, you are supposed to avoid the drinking with meals thing anyways (so that the food stays in longer thereby giving you that full feeling longer).

Spicy....I believe as with unbanded folks, some will have probs with it and others won't. Me....I looooooove spicy food and so far so good.

:)

Is the no liquid thing with meals; is that because it will flush your pouch ?

I beleive that is the reason.

Dawn, what happens to you if you eat too fast, don't chew well enough, or something gets 'stuck'? Or has that just not ever happened?

I'm sure we'd all say that we don't eat too fast, chew stuff to death and it still happens sometimes.

I am not sure why, but I seem to not have this problem. I do make a big effort to eat slow and chew, chew, chew... but I think maybe I am just lucky. I have only had a carrot piece stuck once ( when I swallowed it incredibly quickly in a vain attempt to stop my 4 year old from putting a cherrio up her nose!!).

I will be having another fill in a bit (when I can work out my travel schedule), so maybe then it will be different.

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

weight.png

Dawn, you are amazing. You have lost all that weight without having the terrible side effects. Since my second fill, hardly a day goes by that I don't pb. Breakfast and lunch are the worst and by supper it gets better.