Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Can We Or Can We Not...

Have carbonated beverages ever again? I've been addicted to Diet Pepsi for a long time. I also like to try a bottle of exotic beer every now and again. And I know I shouldn't have these things right now 'cuz my sleeve is so new. But will there ever be a time when I can have them in moderation?

Some people will say yes, most doctor's say no. I was told I could have hard cider again some day if I open it up and leave it in the refrigerator all night long to get the carbonation out.

I read someone today say she drinks diet pop still, there's a lot of posts recently regarding it. If I had to make a choice between drinking Diet Pepsi every day or an exotic beer once in a while, I'd do a beer once in a great while and forgo the pop. You have gone without all this time, why start.

It's going to cause bloating and gas, there's a few doctors that told their patients that it's a wives tale that the sleeve will stretch, well carbonation does cause for bloating and gas and you do it a whole lot, of course the sleeve is going to stretch some. Is it going to stretch to the 85% that you lost, of course not, but why put something into your body that gives zero nutrition?

Just my opinion.

My instructions from my doctor say that carbonated beverages are allowed after 3 months but like Mina said, I will save those for an occasional beer or gin & tonic on special occasions. I don't want to ever return to drinking soda on a regular basis as it is so hard to give up.

If you are going to do one or the other I would do the occasional beer. I'm sure it would be very easy to let soda back into your life, I personally don't think it's something that is good for our bodies, even without the speed.

At just over one year out, I drink the occasional diet rootbeer, carbonated Water, or flavored sparkling drink. I count them towards my daily fluids. I do not have one per day, more like 2-3 per week when it is hot. I mix them with ice, which takes some of the bubbles out.

I never liked beer so I haven't tried it.

Lynda

I was told "if its hurts, don't do it" lol! I am technically allowed it, but honestly the carbonation just isn't comfortable. Even flat any dark sodas (pepsi, coke, etc) are uncomfortable. I can do flat sprite/etc every so often (diet of course!) but its only a sip of my sisters or something here and there.

So I think in the end it will be up to you. Your sleeve may allow you to drink, or it may not. If it worries you, then wait until you are quite a few months to a year out. By that time you'll "know" your sleeve and will have a better grasp on what you can and cannot tolerate.

I am 6 months out and bedore surgery I was a Diet Pepsi addict. i realized three months before my surgery that diet soda was really bad for you, so I stopped dinking it cold turkey. My doctor said it would not stretch the sleeve, but would cause severe gas and bloating. You do not want that after you take this step in your life. I don't even want it anymore. I am so happy with my sleeve and my weightloss, that I don't even want to take a chance of drinking it. You will probably find you don't want it anymore. I tried a sip of some carbonated sparking ice flavored water rhe other day, and one sip was enough. I could not bear the strong taste of the carbonation. You will find that your taste buds change dramatically and you may not even care for something you once loved. my advice to pre-ops is to not think about or worry about what you are going to be able to eat or drink. You won't know until the time comes and you try it, so why worry about it now. You will find yourself concentrating on your new eating habits and your new clothes!

2 months out and I have an occasional Coke Zero. It feels fine, no gas or bloating. Of course, mild burping...but it kind of feels good to be honest. I was a 2-3 can a day addict, so 1-2 over 2 months seems reasonable.

Good luck

I was pretty much told none after surgery. My doc even went as far as to tell me to find a new alcoholic beverage because I was a bud light kind of girl. However, his nurse (who has been sleeved and is tiny) always has a Sonic drink of soda with her so I thinkit's more or less how tolerable it is to each individual.